Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got this today

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    The CDP D11 has digital outs (even optical), too, if you need that option.
    Yes sir, it does.

By the way BO, your cables are on the way. You will have them this week.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    The quest continues.....

Stay tuned for more insanity.

Ken
    So?

You like the DEQX a little better than the Bent passive... you liked the DEQX a little better than the Tad tube job... you liked the Tad tube job a little better than the APT preamp... you liked the APT preamp more than the Adcom... what exactly are you looking for? What seems to be missing?

Widget

I doubt if its black and white thing.

Sometimes certain combinations work well together and others don't. There is also the prior learnt sound that may take a a while to forget before making an informed judgement.

Personally i think the removal of the HR1 crossover and then properly set up of the DEQX will be the defining moment. Assuming the passive pre does nothing to the signal it may let more information through but its whats down stream that he is really hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    I doubt if its black and white thing.

Sometimes certain combinations work well together and others don't. There is also the prior learnt sound that may take a a while to forget before making an informed judgement.

Personally i think the removal of the HR1 crossover and then properly set up of the DEQX will be the defining moment. Assuming the passive pre does nothing to the signal it may let more information through but its whats down stream that he is really hearing.
    Spot on Ian. What is interesting is that they could all sound so different considering the aim of most companies is to built transparency into their electronics. The truth be known I would love to "try" many high end components. I have been very tempted to jump on the Pass Labs bandwagon but suspect it may be a lateral move. Of course, I could be wrong about that. The fact is you don't know till you try. If opportunity's come along to try some well regarded equipment for no risk "I'm In".

We shall see about the Deqx replacing the HRX. So far nothing comes even remotely close ie: Klark Teknik, Ashley XR's etc.

"There is also the prior learnt sound that may take a a while to forget before making an informed judgement." I completely agree on this point.

Widget asks the question " What are you looking for? What exactly is missing? To some degree that could be asked of all of us. Nothing is really missing, but the system I have today sounds more refined than the system I had a year ago. Widget, of all people you should understand this journey .

Ken

Widget, of all people you should understand this journey .
    Good point... I guess what inspired the question was that from the outside it looks a bit haphazard... though I expect my path would appear similarly meandering to an outside observer.

Widget

We shall see about the Deqx replacing the HRX. So far nothing comes even remotely close ie: Klark Teknik...
    You trialed a KT crossover? I wasn't remembering that you had. Which one?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    You trialed a KT crossover? I wasn't remembering that you had. Which one?
    I tried the DN800 series with custom crossover cards. I would have tried their new digital technology but could not find one at a price where I could flip it if I did not like it.

Ken

I would have tried their new digital technology but could not find one at a price where I could flip it if I did not like it.
    Whoa... We actually FOUND something you haven't tried!!

Just kiddin', pard'...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Spot on Ian. What is interesting is that they could all sound so different considering the aim of most companies is to built transparency into their electronics. The truth be known I would love to "try" many high end components. I have been very tempted to jump on the Pass Labs bandwagon but suspect it may be a lateral move. Of course, I could be wrong about that. The fact is you don't know till you try. If opportunity's come along to try some well regarded equipment for no risk "I'm In".

We shall see about the Deqx replacing the HRX. So far nothing comes even remotely close ie: Klark Teknik, Ashley XR's etc.

"There is also the prior learnt sound that may take a a while to forget before making an informed judgement." I completely agree on this point.

Widget asks the question " What are you looking for? What exactly is missing? To some degree that could be asked of all of us. Nothing is really missing, but the system I have today sounds more refined than the system I had a year ago. Widget, of all people you should understand this journey .

Ken
    Exactly..have fun while your doing it!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...acurve2496.htm

Ken,

You might find this an interesting read.

Ken,

Thanks Ian

Its a good straight forward explanation of tweaking a system with an rta and eq.

Ken

pentictonklaus

Ken,

The above mentioned unit is in my rack. I am very happy with it. I does everything I need and is totally quiet. Thinking about buying a second one
    for multichannel. By the way it does make the 2344 work.
    Klaus

Tom Loizeaux
    Don't you see that this is one of the beauties of this Forum. We can sit back and listen to other members working to raise the bar. Many times the resuts are inconclusive or unconvincing, but other times we all learn how to improve our systems...if we want.
    My thanks to Ken, and others, who persue this challange. I have learned much and have used some of what I've learned here to upgrade my listening experience.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by pentictonklaus
    The above mentioned unit is in my rack. I am very happy with it. I does everything I need and is totally quiet. Thinking about buying a second one
    for multichannel. By the way it does make the 2344 work.
    Klaus

Klaus, Yes I tort it was a good article and pending how my revamped system evolves I may add it to the bag of trix.I imagine it is a great tool for system fine tuning..allowing one to actively eq the speakers on the fly and then design passive Eq into the final design of the crossovers latter for a purist approach.

pentictonklaus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian MacKenzie
    Klaus, Yes I tort it was a good article and pending how my revamped system evolves I may add it to the bag of trix.I imagine it is a great tool for system fine tuning..allowing one to actively eq the speakers on the fly and then design passive Eq into the final design of the crossovers latter for a purist approach.
    I do fully agree. It will be a pleasure to fire up a Weller again. The bag of tricks does hoever sound nice for now.

Klaus

Thread Information