Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got this today

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy
    While I understand the purpose and intent of such devices, I can't get over them being called preamps-which is nothing more than a flat-out lie. The term 'passive preamp' is as big an oxymoron as "Microsoft Works". Can't help but feel that anyone who'd lie about what it is they're selling would....well....lie about what it is they're selling.
    The prefix pre- means before. As in: before the amplifier.
    Although I use the term Passive control center I think passive preamp is still perfectly fitting.
    The whole point is moot since the preamp in question provides +6db gain so it is a preamp by any definition.
    And a mighty fine one at that.
    I would also like to agree that John at Bent Audio is one of the best guys in retail.

It would be fun to play with using an absolutely very Hi end minimalist system like an Altmann Attraction DAC, http://www.mother-of-tone.com/attraction.htm and a Lamm power amp and some MMG's. But in a complex mutiway system teh purists might be waving their heads. For those interested that Altmann Attractio Dacis probably the finest DAC on the face of the earth at the moment and you can tailor it to particular needs. Its on my list....

pentictonklaus
    Keep on going Ken !

The best pre amp is the one that is seen not heard. Yours looks great.
    Having the luxury of a high tech patchbay with remote control is every-body's dream. Do not listen to timid voices.
    One more thing. Did it ever strike you odd, that the people who are asking you to grow up have not yet learned how to fly ?

Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by tom1356
    The prefix pre- means before. As in: before the amplifier.
    Although I use the term Passive control center I think passive preamp is still perfectly fitting.
    The whole point is moot since the preamp in question provides +6db gain so it is a preamp by any definition.
    And a mighty fine one at that.
    I would also like to agree that John at Bent Audio is one of the best guys in retail.
    By your definition, not only should every turntable, tapedeck, tuner, disk player and interconnect be called preamplifiers, but every step-up xfmr (which increases EITHER voltage OR current at a LOSS of the other, LESS its' inherent INSERTION LOSS) should be called an amplifier. Devices are given names appropriate to their function for a good reason, and "passive preamplifier" just doesn't qualify.

Were it possible to acheive true power gain with a passive device, our electric bills would be a tiny fraction of what they really are.

As I said in my first post, I understand the function and application for these devices, and I'm sure Ken and many other owners do as well. My only complaint is that they are being marketed as something they're not. I know guys that have bought them expecting them to actually serve as preamps. Yes, they were gullible and perhaps even stupid consumers, but consumers should be protected from false advertising and misleading sales techniques.

Just call them what they are, impedance-matching, multifunction selectors. See how many you sell that way.

snip* My only complaint is that they are being marketed as something they're not. I know guys that have bought them expecting them to actually serve as preamps. Yes, they were gullible and perhaps even stupid consumers, but consumers should be protected from false advertising and misleading sales techniques.

Just call them what they are, impedance-matching, multifunction selectors. See how many you sell that way.
    We see things very differently. I am thankful for that.

Geez guys!

Ken, how does the damned thing sound? Obviously if you don't tell us soon there may be blood shed.

Widget

A healthy debate is a good thing...

Widget pointed out something to me a year or so ago that was simple, logical and yet profound. Please correct me if I am wrong Widget.

Anytime you add an active piece of electronics to the audio chain you are in effect adding another pre-amplifier.

Another realization. Many here know a great deal more than I do.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Geez guys!

Ken, how does the damned thing sound? Obviously if you don't tell us soon there may be blood shed.
    Widget
    Its sounds very good. Someone earlier on mentioned it should be quiet. My lord he was right about that.

At this point I would say I prefer the Deqx, but don't forget the Deqx has a built in Dac and I traded my Benchmark so this listening test was pure analog.

The quest continues.....

Stay tuned for more insanity.

Ken

What cables are you using? They can make a real difference!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    What cables are you using? They can make a real difference!
    All balanced Ian

My own, made with Canare L-4E6S and Neutrik Gold XLR's.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Since I've already mentioned my Top Two Oxymorons (Microsoft Works, passive preamp) there's been some re-arranging occurring in the lower ranks. Recently moved into the Number Three slot is;

(drum roll.......)

"best guy in retail"!

Sorry to have tracked the mud in, Ken, I'll sweep up on my way out, and check my shoes next time. Enjoy your....er.....thing.

Sorry to have tracked the mud in, Ken, I'll sweep up on my way out, and check my shoes next time. Enjoy your....er.....thing.
    Your entitled to an opinion.....no worries .

Ken

Ken,

What CD player/Dac are you using at the moment?

just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Ken,

What CD player/Dac are you using at the moment?

just curious.
    I am using my Sony CDP D11 which of course has a digital to analog converter.......

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    I am using my Sony CDP D11 which of course has a digital to analog converter.......
    The CDP D11 has digital outs (even optical), too, if you need that option.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information