Thread: ALTEC LANSING 511. Need help.Will Sale

Talking ALTEC LANSING 511. Need help.Will Sale

Hello all, I'm new here but need your help I have just got a pair of (In mint) ALTEC LANSING 511 tower speakers they sound great but I would like to know more about them. What they cost, Sale price now, what you all think of them and there is nothing on the net about them. They r 5 way speakers Just like the pic on my profile .Some people call them 511 or 512 ,On the back of them it say 511. I'll go with that , Anyway I might sale them, I dont have the watts for all the stuff I got 4 Bose 901s, 2 JBL 15 inch 350 watts powered subs 2 Polk centers, 2 polk rears Let me know something please. [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbolt
    Hello all, I'm new here but need your help I have just got a pair of (In mint) ALTEC LANSING 511 tower speakers they sound great but I would like to know more about them. What they cost, Sale price now, what you all think of them and there is nothing on the net about them. They r 5 way speakers Just like the pic on my profile .Some people call them 511 or 512 ,On the back of them it say 511. I'll go with that , Anyway I might sale them, I dont have the watts for all the stuff I got 4 Bose 901s, 2 JBL 15 inch 350 watts powered subs 2 Polk centers, 2 polk rears Let me know something please. [email protected]
    Hey - where in the world ARE you?

Please go into your profile (user CP) and add your basic city, state info (if you are in the US) or the similar info if not. Considering the size of some speakers, it helps to know if they're on the East-coast/West coast, etc ...

Thanks!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    what time period did those altecs come from?

what time period did those altecs come from?
    There's an ad in Jan 1990 Audio mag for 511's (if that helps).

-grumpy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbolt
    The confusion comes from the model number....the 511 is a common compression driver horn model number.

Those speakers came from the late 1980's or very early 1990's. It's a model that was produced from the Milford, PA Altec-Lansing that has nothing to do with the beloved Altec that we all know and respect.

I might have a brochure stashed away somewhere with that model in it. I think one feature was that it is an internally pent-amplified system...meaning five onboard amplifiers. Does your have this feature?

I have no idea as to what it's current value is. Maybe someone with a current Orion Bluebook would have an idea of the new retail and current range of values.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

"new" Altec 511 (as they called it)

Checked ad I mentioned... ad copy is dated 1989.
    included option to bi-, tri-, or quad-amplify. Doesn't read as though the
    amplifiers are internal ???

"Tonal balance" adjustments via "control panel" (not clear if this is mounted
    somewhere on each speaker or was a separate box). Deadbolt might know more...

1990 Audio Equipment Directory shows 511 model @ $3000/pair, 512 appears
    to be a step up the marketing scale at 15lbs and $1500 more (optional finish?)
    ...listed driver complement and crossover points are identical (not that the
    directory is anywhere near error free..).

-grumpy

Talking ALTEC LANSING 511 TOWER SPEAKERS

OK all ,I'm in USA N.C. They are not amplified,5 foot tall, on the back are 4 sets of 2 inputs, SUB, MID BASS, MID HIGH, HIGH, gold plated and you can use jumpers so you can use 1 amp. But on the top, inset under a glass cover is 4 more sets of 4 gold plated ajustments, (For jumpers ) UPPER BASS LEVEL, BASS ROLL OFF, HIGH LEVEL, MID LEVEL. The woofers look woven. They are from Milford P.A. I have about 700 watts and they still what more.The sound is so PURE and CLEAN I might not sale them but you never know. Age of speakers-They look new but 1985-90s. Maybe this info will help. Check out this web site its has 511s ,512s, used for $4,901 for a pair,The pic shows 4 way but mine is 5 way just like the pic on my post profile..If I sold them what would yall ask for them? Thanks to all.. http://www.go-bazaar.com/detail.php?...4&Currency=USD

Dubai Classifieds?

Overseas classfied ads may not be the best indication of
    what an item could sell for in the US. Interests vary.

Picture from site attached for posterity.
    Finding a market for these might be tricky.
    Thanks for clarifying where the controls are located.

-grumpy
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Diamond coated?"

"Diamond" surround, maybe....

Talking

Thats them GRUMPY ,Thanks alot.Has anyone used them. Rated 1-10 what do yall think of them. Can't find anymore on worth$$$$$$$ other than that web site in my other post.1989 wow they look brand new not a mark on them,if the moneys right I will sell. what do you think of the bose 901s Got 4

Steve Gonzales

Hey Deadbolt,

I see you are a new member here so I'll be gentle. Not the best place to get any positive feedback about Bose, unless, you can take a good ribbing .

Diamond coating?

I seem to recall Bausch&Lomb even did it with "Killer Loop" sunglasses -quite- a few years ago... we had considered it for some lab optics about that time as well. ... so, yeah... diamond coatings

Other speaker companies claim diamond or diamond-like coatings (B&W?). However, as with "carbon-fiber" (also one of the subject 511 speaker technologies listed), this can mean almost anything.

Deadbolt:
    I am not an interested buyer, nor have I heard any of this series.
    It would be inappropriate for me to rate them or estimate value.

-grumpy

"511" value

For what it's worth, from the same Audio Equipment Directory (1990),
    a pair of JBL 250Ti "Sanibel" speakers listed for $4998/pr... (not clear if
    a lacquer finish was included)
    Something one could more likely get a market reading on.

Not that I am attempting to compare the 511 and 250 in capability or value,
    trying to pont to a more accessible data point regarding a speaker of
    comparable original cost from the same era... and something that might get
    more of a response from this particular forum (although a check of the forum
    indicates the "Sanibels" to be a rare bird as well... previous year 250Ti's
    are listed as $4798/pr in teak, so perhaps ignore that concern)

-grumpy

Thread Information