Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect Speaker? Let's hear your vote!

Wink Perfect Speaker? Let's hear your vote!

Thought it would be fun to start a thread discussing the possibility of the perfect speaker.

It seems we ramble back and forth - often getting mad at someone else because their speaker is not as good as yours.

Please no graphs - they are boring and stupid. The only real graph is the human ear.

So, let's start this thread and see if we can come up with that one perfect speaker that can achieve everything.

What I mean is every speaker seems to have it's problems, but there has to be that one speaker that can do it all without modifications.

--------------------------------

Thumbs up So far...I Revel

The best speaker I've ever heard by far is the Revel Ultima Salon coupled with the Ultima Sub 30. However, right there, I've violated your premise since it's not one pair of speakers that can do it all, but a pair of speakers and a sub.

The combo is my perfect speaker for domestic listening: delicate, tender and sweet by turns and deafeningly clear, massively powerful, and chest crushingly thunderous when required. Musical. Effortless. Natural. Immediate. Present. Deep, wide, and defined. Quick! I need a paper towel.

If these had the JBL logo on them like they should, there'd be no doubt about who made the best speakers.

If the same care of engineering, innovative design, and quality of drivers and networks goes into the JBL 60th Anniversary Speaker, then it will no doubt replace the Revel at the top of my most desired list.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    Thought it would be fun to start a thread discussing the possibility of the perfect speaker.

Please no graphs - they are boring and stupid. The only real graph is the human ear.

But there has to be that one speaker that can do it all without modifications.

--------------------------------

Where, What, How Much, I'll take two....

Seriously, I have no idea......but have done my share of searching....and spending.

The only real graph is the human ear.......now I like that!

Ken

In a few more weeks we may see not a perfect loudspeaker but a major leap forward for us folk.

But outside the square the Duntechs as always been top of the heap. The are used for mastering by a number of leading record labels.

MJC
    There will never be a perfect speaker, but some come much closer than others, that's for sure. Some people(snobs) think that ribbon speakers are the best, I wouldn't take them for free.
    I'm not sure what the best speakers are I've ever heard, never heard them all at the same time and place. But I'd like to be able to hear, altogether, Revel Ultima Salons, K2, 250Ti, PS, VA Beethoveens.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    Some people(snobs) think that ribbon speakers are the best, I wouldn't take them for free.
    Shame on you . I know ribbon (tweeters) and they are good. The ones that like them are no snobs, just another opinion. I prefer the 077 over most of them. But that's me.

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    Shame on you . I know ribbon (tweeters) and they are good. The ones that like them are no snobs, just another opinion. I prefer the 077 over most of them. But that's me.
    I can't speak for people in Norway, I've never been there. But here in the USA, most people I've known who liked ribbon speakers I would classify as snobs.
    I don't think ribbons are bad(read Bose), but I don't think they can even come close to JBL Ti.

rgrjit8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie

But outside the square the Duntechs as always been top of the heap. The are used for mastering by a number of leading record labels.
    Yes, these are my wet dream speakers too.
    When I bought my XPL-200s there were a pair of Black Knights(?) in the showroom They made the XPLs sound like tin cans on strings.
    Okay guys, don't kill me too dead for saying this.

Still bought the JBLs though, primarily because of price but also because I would have had to hire help to move the Duntechs and had no permanent digs at the time.

For now...

I'm kind of new to this hobby so there are many great speakers I've yet to experience (including a lot of JBL's) but I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of cosmetically challenged Vandersteen Model 5's recently and I've really enjoyed them thus far. They have a lot of strengths that, if important to you, really deliver. I don’t have a versed audio vocabulary but I know what I like when I hear it. For example, if you play guitar and know the feeling you get when you rest your chin on a dreadnought while playing sweetly- these speakers can replicate that perfectly. Imaging and overall presence is fantastic, too. Vocals- especially female are chilling. I'd have to say that these model 5's are my first "real" speakers so I'm just riding on that high for a while until the inevitable upgrade bug hits again. In fact- I just heard a pair of Model 5A's (upgraded versions of the 5) and they were definitely better than my speakers in most respects. Oh well.

This may be elementary to some but it took me a while to learn that you have to make a choice in what you want your speakers to do and that means compromise or sacrifice. Like you guys said- no speaker can do it all. Deciding what you really want can be sobering. I always thought I preferred an analytical type speaker with speed, slam, and depth but just the opposite has proven true. I find myself indulged for longer periods of time with speakers that look "bad" on paper and have overly large soundstages- not exactly reference by definition but very pleasing to my ears. For me, a speaker has to be musical if nothing else. I'm sick of constantly analyzing the speakers and relish those moments when you can just close your eyes, forget about the tech stuff and get lulled by the content.

Since we are at different "levels" in this hobby- I'd say the 'best speakers' are the ones you can actually enjoy for the moment. For some of the more advanced enthusiasts- it may take a pair of Duntechs to sweep you off your feet and give you a high. For others- a pair of L100's may provide temporary bliss. Neither is right or wrong.

My wife casually compared my 'audio addiction' to a drug the other day. She meant it as a joke but I was quick to point out a fundamental difference: Drugs start with a bang and never deliver beyond that first impression. However, the more a person learns and moves up in ranks in the audio hobby- the more potential he/she has for enjoyment. Great gear can deliver a higher emotional experience and better gear delivers even more. This hobby has been a slow but continual upgrading process (for me) and it just keeps getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    I don’t have a versed audio vocabulary but I know what I like when I hear it. For example, if you play guitar and know the feeling you get when you rest your chin on a dreadnought while playing sweetly- these speakers can replicate that perfectly.

I'm sick of constantly analyzing the speakers and relish those moments when you can just close your eyes, forget about the tech stuff and get lulled by the content.

Since we are at different "levels" in this hobby- I'd say the 'best speakers' are the ones you can actually enjoy for the moment. For some of the more advanced enthusiasts- it may take a pair of Duntechs to sweep you off your feet and give you a high. For others- a pair of L100's may provide temporary bliss. Neither is right or wrong.

My wife casually compared my 'audio addiction' to a drug the other day. She meant it as a joke but I was quick to point out a fundamental difference: Drugs start with a bang and never deliver beyond that first impression. However, the more a person learns and moves up in ranks in the audio hobby- the more potential he/she has for enjoyment. Great gear can deliver a higher emotional experience and better gear delivers even more. This hobby has been a slow but continual upgrading process (for me) and it just keeps getting better.
    Frankly, for a self described "rookie" you nailed the good and the bad of this obsession. If I may say your further along than you think. This is a great post that speaks volumes.

It has me thinking.......maybe its time to stop obsessing and spend more time enjoying.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky
    Frankly, for a self described "rookie" you nailed the good and the bad of this obsession. If I may say your further along than you think. This is a great post that speaks volumes.

It has me thinking.......maybe its time to stop obsessing and spend more time enjoying.

Ken
    Thank you, but frankly, I think you just nailed it and it has me thinking, too. You don't need an upgrade (invite?) to turn on the switches; You need a willingness.

My system may not be where I want it to be but it's a quantum leap from what I started with. If I went back to that moment in time and could see the rig I have now- the old me would be sitting back in the chair with a HUGE grin!! I often have to remind myself of where I came from so I can appreciate where I am and where I'm going.

best I'VE heard....

OHM F.

(guess I havnt heard many super high ends).....
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I would have to make a vote for the dali`s
    If u ever had the pleasure to experiance a high end set of these baby`s
    wow is all i can say
    but really the only high end set i ever lived with
    http://www.dali.dk/int/

we have one of the 1st sets of 350wrms spreakers they made
    extrodinary speakers
    sound great on any amp
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Talking DALI

Quote Originally Posted by morbo!

I've never visited their site before. That's a crapload of speaker lines!

DALI has everything from the gorgeous to the grotesque, not unlike the span of offerings from JBL consumer (without the expansive Pro, autosound, and marine offerings). It's certainly a different design philosophy in action.

The MegaLine is a bit bizarre in its execution, but the white paper is fascinating. I'd love to hear it. Lots of California dealers; I'll need to see if anyone actually has that line.

TD thanks morbo!
    Out.

Awsome
    I would love to hear one of you guys comments about them.

I just have to put my vote on the dali`s because they do sound great on anything. totally engrosing no matter what the source or power of the amp

Then again i havent heard the systems you guys own so i might be strangly on the wrong track.

the bass can be shocking and no need for a sub or playing around
    they just sound great
    http://www.medpot.net/forums/

daily volcano demo`s
    find out the truth
    tell`em morbo sent you

mention lansing heritage for 10% off

Thread Information