Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classical, anyone?

I agree on that

Quote Originally Posted by jandregg
    Now that two people have mentioned the 1812 on telarc I feel compelled to speak. The recording made by the london symphany in the sixties is far superior. It is on the phase four label as a lp. I have not seen it on cd. I own both recordings and like them both, but the london recording is magical.

John
    I've worn out several copies of that London recording on LP over the years, and I have it on CD now--but, somehow, the LP always seemed to sound better. On a completely unrelated note, I'd really like to find The Velvet Gentleman, a collection of transposed compositions of Satie using synthesizers and such, by the Camarata Contemporary Chamber Group or Society--can't remember which--which mysteriously disappeared from my LP collection some years back--I always thought it would appear on CD, but so far as I can find out, it never has.

Older recordings on SACD

As stated in a previous post, Telarc's SACDs are generally recommendable, but older recordings, too, are often enjoyable, musically as well as technically.

This holds for most SACDs in the series of reissues entitled "Living Stereo". I would suggest that the faint of heart begin with Mussorgsky's "'Pictures at an Exhibition' and other Russian showpieces"; see this page for details:
    http://www.amazon.com/Mussorgsky-Pic.../dp/B0002TKFRM

These recordings from 1957 and 1959 have a little tape hiss, but I'm confident that you like me soon will forget the tape hiss and other technical issues and concentrate on the delightful music.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakanta View Post
    Yes.
    Here is more information:

http://www.dorian.com/dorian/90117s.htm

Can i see a larger one?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Another great classical recording is Mozart's Concertos for Two & Three Pianos by Sony Classical.

A larger Photo

Quote Originally Posted by northwood View Post

Can i see a larger one?
    Here is a big one. This placement intended to compare directly the Altec 14 with the 19. With a good wine....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    I've worn out several copies of that London recording on LP over the years, and I have it on CD now--but, somehow, the LP always seemed to sound better. On a completely unrelated note, I'd really like to find The Velvet Gentleman, a collection of transposed compositions of Satie using synthesizers and such, by the Camarata Contemporary Chamber Group or Society--can't remember which--which mysteriously disappeared from my LP collection some years back--I always thought it would appear on CD, but so far as I can find out, it never has.
    Apparently the Velvet Gentleman was released on CD earlier this year - I just ordered a copy from Amazon ...

The Velvet Gentleman - Satie: Piano Music / John McCabe

Format: CD
    Label: Regis Records
    Catalog No: RGS RRC1227

Release Date: 2006-05-15
    New Release: Yes
    Previous Release: Yes
    UPC Code: 5055031312276
    Number of Discs: 1
    Running Time: 1 hr. 17 min.
    Mono/Stereo: Stereo
    Domestic/Import: Domestic
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

for a while there, I was collecting various versions of Vivaldi "4 seasons" until I got the Ann Sophie Mutter on EMI copy. I stopped , there cant be a better version.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Speaking of Telarc, check out the Howard Hanson SACD by Erich Kunzel & Cincinatti Pops.

Thread Information