Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage Kenwood

Smile proton

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne
    Hi all

What do you guys think about the Proton Amps, I have put aside a AM455 which I plan to use for my nearly complete L26's in the family room, I picked this up from a chain pawn brookers after trading in a trashy Technics amp with an I.C for the output stage & only paid $15 differance Fortunately they only employ kids.
    I believe the output is close to 50watts rms, havent had a lot of luck in tracking the history, age etc. Is it true that NAD bought them out, were they one of the only companies to manufacture inside U.S.A.
    Any comments welcome.

Cheers Wayne.
    HI. protons are very nice lil amps, and yes yours is 50wpc first made in 1990. they have a lot of reserve power, and can actually dip down for a lil while to a 2 ohm load. the average on ebay is around 100- 150 us dollars. there a dual mono design amp, and will probabbly be the most powerful 50 watt amp you will ever hear. CHEERS M8

KT-815

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    The pulse count detector and high sensitivity make this the best analog tuner I've owned.
    congrats ti on your kenwood finds. that tuner is a 5 gang model. made around 1979 or so. i think list was around $450.00 or so on it. so i figure add in inflation and it would cost a bunch to make one like it today. REGARDS JIM

Hi jim3860

That sounds very promising, the L-26's should sound rather good then.
    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers Wayne.

Proton AM455 Down on Bass

Hi all

I have fired up the Proton AM455 & found that the Left channel has marginal Bass compared to the Right.
    Have switched speakers from Left to Right, still common to the Left channel so speakers are o.k.
    Will start by switching the out-put transistors from left to right & see if the loss of bass still occurs in the left channel or has moved to the right, if this is the case then either the NPN or PNP output transistor in the left channel is shot. Can determine which by switching them one at a time.
    If this proves fruitless I will have to track down a ocsilloscope & have a bit of a look.
    Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Wayne.

Thread Information