Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Model 19 clones are finished (almost)

Model 19 clones are finished (almost)

I spent all morning putting the finishing touches on my spkr project. They are sitting nerxt to my grand piano, I still have to do the fronts and find some brown cloth for under the glass tops but essentially they are finished.

I hooked them up and started off with chopin Nocturne in Db major, It was nice the highs are georgous but then I put on Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone. I was actually overcome emotionally it sounded so nice. Pics later.

here they are
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great work. I know what you mean when you finally get the work done and can sit down and experience the reproduction of a fine piece of music. An incomparable experience IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima
    here they are
    Those are gorgeous! Very fine classy look - I can only imagine how sweet they sound.
    BTW ... thanks for the tip on the Yo-Yo Ma CD! We've been watching a bunch of Sergio Leone movies lately anyway, so I just ordered a copy off Amazon!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

You are going to LOVE that CD!

Gary L
    Absolutely Gorgeous Larry!

I do like the idea of glass tops because woman can't restist placing a wet plant on just about any flat surface.

Think we should have a thread here where we all show off our handy work projects.

WOW have I seen some fine speakers come thru these pages and it would be great to have them all in a separate thread so we could go and do a bit of drooling from time to time.

Gary

VERY nice work, enjoy them!

I`m an Altec freak, and I agree, Altec conveys the emotional content of music in a way no other brand has ever really been able to match. Something in the midrange.

Your speakers look great!
    scottyj

ALTEC RULES!

I know this is mainly a JBL forum, but in my world - ALTEC kicks butt!

Altec just has that "Full Color" and "In person sound" that no other speaker can achieve. No wonder why they were placed in theatres.

I use Altec 846u's and will NEVER sell them - they are the BEST!

Anyone else get the feeling like ALTEC gets pushed to the back burner on this forum?

I think if Altec was still around in the audiophile world like JBL, there would be way more interest in the vintage stuff than there is now.

Hey, the koreans, japanese, and others not in the USA are scooping them up on eBay - soon Altec will be very scarce in the USA, for sure. Well, at least the stuff that has the original cabinets.

Well, yes, this forum is predominantly JBL oriented. But, we know our Altec too.

IF Altec were still around, I feel there might be more interest in the vintage altec stuff, but, dont fool yourself, Altec holds its popularity.

For me, I have always used a combination of Altec and JBL, and its always been great for me.

I have always loved Altec 15,s in VOTT cabinets, and I love JBL compression drivers, especially 2441,s on 2395 lens horns. I also love my old Altec 288,s. I love both Altec and JBL for the top end, but both sound different from each other. When it comes to 18,s I have always been a devout JBL fan, that tight, very punchy bottom always commands peoples attention. In the vocal range, I have never been able to get into anything other than Altec woofers, the sound Altec had, especially in the critical lower mids was great. I have and still run vintage Altec 15,s, something unique and special about the way they sound. Natural, I think thats the word that desrcibes it best!

In one word, the sound Altec stuff made was a believable sound, it brought the music to life! Thats what it was all about, realism.

IF Altec were still around, and I wish they were, I feel they would have to make and offer what the marketplace is buying these days. Digitally processed line arrays, and other super high power speaker systems.

The reason, IMHO, that JBL is a more well known brand is because JBL is still in buisiness. But, it wasnt always this way, back in the day when Altec was in buisiness, everyone knew Altec.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima
    I spent all morning putting the finishing touches on my spkr project. They are sitting nerxt to my grand piano, I still have to do the fronts and find some brown cloth for under the glass tops but essentially they are finished.

I hooked them up and started off with chopin Nocturne in Db major, It was nice the highs are georgous but then I put on Yo-Yo Ma plays Ennio Morricone. I was actually overcome emotionally it sounded so nice. Pics later.
    Very fine work. I would be interested to hear what dimensions you decided on and what height, generally, you have the 811 horns.

David F

I looked at the 19 plans and decided that the upper section for the horn was an addition that I didn't want to get into building. I don't have a shop or a large table saw so it was a bit too much. What I did was take the over all dimensions and incorporate them into a single cab. I seperated the rear panel because of the horn driver although thats probably not necessary. They are 37x30x20.

Gary L
    Not to Jack the thread but, Scott and Storm do bring up some interesting points.

"If Altec where still around"! Well, I think they kind of are still around to some degree.
    GPA is still repairing and even now making some very fine new drivers.
    I have heard that Altec is still producing VOTS in some factory and at prices in the range of about $10,000 a pair. Not sure on this one but have read it in a few places.

I do agree this forum is slanted toward the JBL line but it also is growing with Altec fans as well and I really don't feel any annomocities from one to another.

Altec did some very nice two way systems that have a realness all their own and I am sure the speakers Quindecima made are fine examples.

I do have to admit that JBL wins the battle in other then two way systems IMHO and I never really cared for any of Altecs ventures in this direction.

We can all coexist and I see no reason to war over what was and still is great sound from two very fine manufacturers.

It is all about the music and for the most part here about the Vintage Heritage of the Lansing name.

Gary

WoW!

Nice work quindecima...
    Altec V JBL?.......Altecs are better .. JBL is Bigger, IMHOOps
    My Altec 846A Valencias are the best speakers i've ever heard ..close up
    My JBLs 4411,12s sound incredibly good if not a little ....clinical, if you will.
    I think JBL beat Altec because of (almost) 0% interest loans for metal..
    "you might say I'm unlearned you might say i'm young ..but i'm only younger then you"
    JBL is Math & Money = can't go wrong
    Altec is Blood, Sweat & tears = Lagacy
    Remember... this forum would not even exist without the underpinning of
    of Altecs results.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L
    Not to Jack the thread but, Scott and Storm do bring up some interesting points.

"If Altec where still around"! Well, I think they kind of are still around to some degree.
    GPA is still repairing and even now making some very fine new drivers.
    I have heard that Altec is still producing VOTS in some factory and at prices in the range of about $10,000 a pair. Not sure on this one but have read it in a few places.

I do agree this forum is slanted toward the JBL line but it also is growing with Altec fans as well and I really don't feel any annomocities from one to another.

Altec did some very nice two way systems that have a realness all their own and I am sure the speakers Quindecima made are fine examples.

I do have to admit that JBL wins the battle in other then two way systems IMHO and I never really cared for any of Altecs ventures in this direction.

We can all coexist and I see no reason to war over what was and still is great sound from two very fine manufacturers.

It is all about the music and for the most part here about the Vintage Heritage of the Lansing name.

Gary
    Yes, both Altec and JBL had their strengths and weakenesses. Altec 2 ways have that classic Altec sound, and ONLY Altec sounded like that!

JBL, some of the best 3 and 4 ways ever, so much so, the speakers still command a fortune on eBay today.

GPA does in fact make genuine Altec goods, and If you wish to buy new speakers in the tradition of Altec, this is where to get em. Also excellent for repairing older Altec drivers.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by mbask
    Remember... this forum would not even exist without the underpinning of
    of Altecs results.
    I thought this forum existed because of this dude.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information