Thread: What do I have?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What do I have?

Ok, first off let me say, I don't know squat about the technical names of all the stereo speakers that I have! All I know is that they sounded really great for the first 20 years I had them, but about 4 years ago they are started to rattle. I finally took one of the speakers out of the cabinet today (I don't like to rush into anything), and the foam, or what ever it is has deteriorated from around the speakers. On the back of the speaker it says "James B. Lansing, Model 128H, Impedance 8 ohms, Serial 58514. I bought them in 1982, I think. First question I have is, what do I have, and the second question is, can they be repaired? Ok, you'll be easy on me, I'm old and slow.
    Jack

Hi Jack,

It's possible to replace the foam surround if there's no voice coil damage and
    the speakers weren't abused. A recone is a good choice if there's doubt about
    the condition of the spider (accordian-looking cloth under the magnet that
    centers the voice coil and holds it in the magnet gap) or visible evidence of
    other deterioration, although more expensive. A recone is also what I
    understand the factory recommendation to be (you'll have essentially a new
    driver).

128H is the model of the 12" driver (guessing you might have an L112 pair
    but a picture or description of the other drivers would help). With the front
    cover off, is there a model number or any level controls viewable?

Grumpy.

Hi Jack,

The 128H 12" woofer has a white cone....the white (probably faded a little tinge to yellow now) material is known as "Aquaplas" coating on a paper pulp cone and came in the L112, L150,and 4411 pro studio monitors.

Like grumpy said, the foam can be replaced by a competent servicer...preferably JBL Authorized...or it can be totally rebuilt with 128H recone kit. Reconing the driver assures you that the driver will function as new, but often-times a refoam will give added life to an otherwise non-abused, non-overdriven speaker.

Current price to recone your 128H with the genuine JBL recone kit is $186.00 ea. A refoam will be considerably less...but you need to make sure that the servicer is good, and will give your driver the care it deserves.

Hope that helps.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Hi Jack,

The 128H 12" woofer has a white cone....the white (probably faded a little tinge to yellow now) material is known as "Aquaplas" coating on a paper pulp cone and came in the L112, L150,and 4411 pro studio monitors.

Like grumpy said, the foam can be replaced by a competent servicer...preferably JBL Authorized...or it can be totally rebuilt with 128H recone kit. Reconing the driver assures you that the driver will function as new, but often-times a refoam will give added life to an otherwise non-abused, non-overdriven speaker.

Current price to recone your 128H with the genuine JBL recone kit is $186.00 ea. A refoam will be considerably less...but you need to make sure that the servicer is good, and will give your driver the care it deserves.

Hope that helps.
    You'll have been a great help. I now know four time as much about my speakers as I did one hour ago. As for the L112, L150,and 4411 pro studio monitors, how do I know which I have? My cabinets are approximately 4 ft. tall X 18" wide X 18" deep. That's just a guess, I'm at my office, and the speakers are at home. Well, all but one speaker which is laying in front of me right now. If I try and find someone locally to re foam them, what type of business do I look for? One place I talked to told me, which was a stereo shop, said I needed to replace all the speakers with some junk they sold. They were made in China, and I don't buy anything made in China.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw6Guy
    You'll have been a great help. I now know four time as much about my speakers as I did one hour ago. As for the L112, L150,and 4411 pro studio monitors, how do I know which I have? My cabinets are approximately 4 ft. tall X 18" wide X 18" deep. That's just a guess, I'm at my office, and the speakers are at home. Well, all but one speaker which is laying in front of me right now. If I try and find someone locally to re foam them, what type of business do I look for? One place I talked to told me, which was a stereo shop, said I needed to replace all the speakers with some junk they sold. They were made in China, and I don't buy anything made in China.
    Jack
    Hi Jack,

Sounds like you have L150's. What ever you do...DON'T listen to the people that want you to replace your woofer's with something else...they aren't being your buddy.

Even if you must ship to get them fixed, you'll be better off in the long run.

Hi Jack,

Sounds like you have L150's. What ever you do...DON'T listen to the people that want you to replace your woofer's with something else...they aren't being your buddy.

Even if you must ship to get them fixed, you'll be better off in the long run.
    I was born at night, but it wasn't last night! I would never let go of these speakers, or replace the woofer's with sumpin else. Ain't gonna happen, and thanks for the advise, Ill take all I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy
    Hi Jack,

It's possible to replace the foam surround if there's no voice coil damage and
    the speakers weren't abused. A recone is a good choice if there's doubt about
    the condition of the spider (accordian-looking cloth under the magnet that
    centers the voice coil and holds it in the magnet gap) or visible evidence of
    other deterioration, although more expensive. A recone is also what I
    understand the factory recommendation to be (you'll have essentially a new
    driver).

128H is the model of the 12" driver (guessing you might have an L112 pair
    but a picture or description of the other drivers would help). With the front
    cover off, is there a model number or any level controls viewable?

Grumpy.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames
    The 128H is a woofer - thats the part of the speaker that makes the low bass sounds. The 128H has a foam surround, thats a flexible ring around the outer edge of the paper cone that allows the cone to move in and out and move some air. The foam is a pretty good surround material, nice and flexible, but after a while (20+ years?) it deteriorates and falls apart - the foam rots.
    If the paper cone is still in good shape you can have the foam ring replaced and get back the good sound you remember.
    Thanks guys. Oh man, that sort of scared me, when I saw the screen name of the first person to reply. Thought maybe I was in trouble already.
    These speakers have had a very easy life, they have only been moved one time since 1982, and have always been sitting in my nice air-conditioned den. I've been sitting here looking at them, and it looks to me like the only thing wrong is the foam. Do I look for a place locally to re-foam them, or is that something I can do myself. Can you buy the foam, already pre formed?

Thanks guys. Oh man, that sort of scared me, when I saw the screen name of the first person to reply. Thought maybe I was in trouble already.
    These speakers have had a very easy life, they have only been moved one time since 1982, and have always been sitting in my nice air-conditioned den. I've been sitting here looking at them, and it looks to me like the only thing wrong is the foam. Do I look for a place locally to re-foam them, or is that something I can do myself. Can you buy the foam, already pre formed?
    If you are confident in your craftsmanship skills, there are several sources for the foam surrounds with instructions on how to do it properly.

There's also some "how-to" threads in the forum on how it's done, most notably one from BoPutnam.

You can save considerable money doing it yourself, but if you've not done it before you risk wasting your money on the kit and ruining a perfectly repairable $300.00 driver....of course then you can always get it reconed....just depends on how adventurous you are. I'm not trying to scare you, just giving you the realities of it. You've got a high-end piece of equipment that deserves high-end care.

If you are confident in your craftsmanship skills, there are several sources for the foam surrounds with instructions on how to do it properly.

There's also some "how-to" threads in the forum on how it's done, most notably one from BoPutnam.

You can save considerable money doing it yourself, but if you've not done it before you risk wasting your money on the kit and ruining a perfectly repairable $300.00 driver....of course then you can always get it reconed....just depends on how adventurous you are. I'm not trying to scare you, just giving you the realities of it. You've got a high-end piece of equipment that deserves high-end care.
    Just found two places in the D/FW area that are authorized JBL repair station, think I'll try them Monday morning since they are closed today. I don't feel real adventuresome today! Do you have any idea what it should cost to get four speakers re foamed?

Just found two places in the D/FW area that are authorized JBL repair station, think I'll try them Monday morning since they are closed today. I don't feel real adventuresome today! Do you have any idea what it should cost to get four speakers re foamed?
    The L150's have 1 each of 128H active woofer and a grey/black cone 12" passive radiator below it...PR300.

Should be about $200-$250 for all four....(2)woofers(2)passive radiators with no voice coil or magnet/motor assy.

Make sure they do it right and mount the surround to the backside of the cone...just like it was done at the factory.

Ok, first off let me say, I don't know squat about the technical names of all the stereo speakers that I have! All I know is that they sounded really great for the first 20 years I had them, but about 4 years ago they are started to rattle. I finally took one of the speakers out of the cabinet today (I don't like to rush into anything), and the foam, or what ever it is has deteriorated from around the speakers. On the back of the speaker it says "James B. Lansing, Model 128H, Impedance 8 ohms, Serial 58514. I bought them in 1982, I think. First question I have is, what do I have, and the second question is, can they be repaired? Ok, you'll be easy on me, I'm old and slow.
    Jack
    The 128H is a woofer - thats the part of the speaker that makes the low bass sounds. The 128H has a foam surround, thats a flexible ring around the outer edge of the paper cone that allows the cone to move in and out and move some air. The foam is a pretty good surround material, nice and flexible, but after a while (20+ years?) it deteriorates and falls apart - the foam rots.
    If the paper cone is still in good shape you can have the foam ring replaced and get back the good sound you remember.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information