Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3107 crossover modding

3107 crossover modding

I would want to modify the 3107 crossover.
    I think about eliminating the external potenziometro and replacing it with a resistance from 16 ohms. I would also want to replace the induttances with the same valors by Mundorf.
    What do you think of it?
    Has someone already done this? I
    would also want to replace the original cables with some cables Litz as, for instance, the Cardas.

Do you have stock 4350s? If you are using the 3107 crossovers in any other system... you'd be better off building something from scratch. If you are running a pair of 4350s with original 2440s... then I would consider the upgrade path... maybe.

Changing the L-pad with a fixed resistor network is never a bad idea... I doubt it'll make that much of a difference, but if you are inclined go for it.

As for the inductors? I really doubt you will hear a significant difference between the stock inductors and "proper" replacements... that said, I would expect that changing them will affect the sound. The network is designed with the internal resistance of the stock coils as part of the design... your new coils will likely have different internal resistance so replacing them with new ones with the same inductance but a different resistance will affect the sound.

Wire? I don't belong to that church.

As for the item that would likely make the greatest improvement, the caps, you didn't mention those. If you didn't because you considered it a no brainer... must do, then proceed. If you were planning on the other changes but keeping the original caps? I sure wouldn't... I'd replace the caps with the Mundorfs first and then think about everything else.

I hope this helps.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Paky33
    I would want to modify the 3107 crossover.
    I think about eliminating the external potenziometro and replacing it with a resistance from 16 ohms. I would also want to replace the induttances with the same valors by Mundorf.
    What do you think of it?
    Has someone already done this? I
    would also want to replace the original cables with some cables Litz as, for instance, the Cardas.
    Hi Paky33,

You may wish to search for the new equivalent 3107 network (4355) and match the inductor dcr to the values in the Mundorf catalogue ( if you are going to the expense of using Mundorf capacitors).

Unless you have Hi end system I doubt if completely re-wiring the 3107 network would help matters.

Thanks to Mr. Widget for the answer.
    I have a couple of 4350.
    I will do as you say. I change the capses with some Mundorfs before and I change the L-Pad with a fixed resistor. Do you know me to recommend the value de resistor?
    Why not to replace the cables? I would want to use of wire by Cardas.....

Paky33

Do you know me to recommend the value de resistor?
    If you mean the resistor values to replace the L-Pads... that would depend on the settings that you use.

Why not to replace the cables? I would want to use of wire by Cardas.....
    I have several lengths of massive Cardas cables here... I also have your basic 12 ga copper wire... I can not honestly tell you that I hear a difference in the speaker wires.

Now the fact that I did not pay for the Cardas wires may affect my judgment. If I had shelled out several hundred dollars for them, I just might be convinced that they do sound better. They are certainly well made and terminated.

Widget

Paky,

I'll let you in on a secret,

Pay attention to your terminations..use pure copper not brass. Then consider fancy cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Paky,

Pay attention to your terminations..use pure copper not brass. Then consider fancy cables.
    I have climbed on the terminators of the WBT and I have had exceptional results. I will now replace the caps, the L-Pad with a metallic film resistor and the iinternal cables.
    I don't know if I will replace the inddutances....

Paky33

Happen me this thing: the L-Pad it doesn't work.
    When I rotate not me to it from any effect on the sound. This happens to all two the 4350. I don't believe both a coincidence. Can someone help me?

Tom Loizeaux

Speaker terminals

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Paky,
    Ian,
    Please tell us which speaker terminals you would recommend to replace the stock vintage spring-loaded ones on the back of the 43XX monitors, with the least refitting. Also, why wouldn't gold plating over brass be a good material?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Check out the Cardas web page.

Brass just does not sound the same. Why are cables copper? go figure.

Ian

Paky33 - it may be that your LPads have been disconnected and replaced with an appropriate resistor that gave the desired sound balance in order to eliminate the noise & distortion that LPads can contribute. This is a recommended "upgrade" that I have read of.

Quote Originally Posted by remusr
    Paky33 - it may be that your LPads have been disconnected and replaced with an appropriate resistor that gave the desired sound balance in order to eliminate the noise & distortion that LPads can contribute. This is a recommended "upgrade" that I have read of.
    I will check this.
    I would want to know that type of resistor to use for the substitution of the L-Pad. I would also want to know what type of caps is preferable to use for the crossovers. I know that the caps are best paper / oil but I don't know if it is the case to replace all the original caps with those paper / oil.
    Do you know me to suggest which the best are for the my 4350?
    Thanks

....I also want change the caps on mid-lower cone whith polypropilen caps as Mundorf Supreme or Solen or other.
    Pratically I want put on the tweeter and on the mid-high section same paper/oil caps as JENSEN and on the other section as I sayd on.
    Has someone tried this?
    Does someone know how to give me some sug?

Paky33

..................NOBODY?

Don't mix capacitor types with hi end capacitors...why would you??

Ian

Thread Information