Thread: jbl urei question

jbl urei question

I tried to find the right place to put this question, so I hope this is the right place.
    A friend of mine lent me his urei 6230 to use with my magnepan mmg's, I was using a Mcintosh 2505, this obviously has a touch more power than the mcintosh.
    In the urei manual it says that minimum speaker impedence when running the amp mono is 8 ohms. Being new to all of this, does that mean that because the maggies are 4 ohm that I can't do this with them? I am getting a second 6230 Tuesday, and If I can, would love to hook up one to each speaker. I can never seem to remember if 4 ohms is less or greater than 8 ohms. i assume what brain cells I have left, don't always work very well.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Peace,
    Jim

What it all means is that if you turn up the Maggies which do require a fair amount of power to play even modestly loud, your 4 ohm load will ask the power supply for more current than the amp is capable of... it will likely over heat and shut down. Those amps are designed for abuse... it is unlikely you will damage the amp.

FWIW: I compared a JBL/Urei 62XX amp (the 150wpc in 8 ohms model) with a similarly rated Hafler a while back... the Hafler was much more pleasant to listen to. You might consider getting a single better amp. Using amps in their bridged mode is usually a sonic compromise.

Widget

Thanks Widget.
    These speakers, I am finding, don't really play that loud anyway, but I do really like the sound. I may just stick with one for now, give my friend his back, and enjoy the music. I can always upgrade later/sooner which seems to be the case.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Hafler.
    Peace,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by buddhadas
    Thanks for the heads up on the Hafler.
    Your welcome... a buddy of mine has a pair of large Maggies that he runs with 200watt Audio Research tube amps... they sound quite good. They'll never please a crank it up horn lover, but they do sound very nice.

As for the Hafler... I wasn't actually advocating them, just mentioning that even a Hafler sounds better. If you decide to keep the Maggies you may want to try out or borrow several amps to see what best suits your needs.

Widget

one of the reasons I got these baby maggies was the 60 day money back on them, they are going back this week. They sound amazing, but I just can't crank them up, and being an old rocker, I still love it loud. I have a pair of Klipsch towers, not the referce line, but cheaper. I now have them hooked up to the Urei and am back to smiling. I'm not so sure my neighbors feel the same way, thankfully I have a lot of space.
    Peace,
    Jim

Thread Information