Thread: 4628b based project

4628b based project

I have just purchased three 4268b cabinets for the purpose of starting a project. I would like to do the project in phases so I always (or almost always) have something to listen too.

Phase 1
    Replace 2118’s with 2123’s –I would like to replace the 2118’s with 2123’s that I already have. Will I need to modify the crossover for the switch? Are there other simple changes I should make to the crossovers at that time?
    Cabinet – A tapered tower type with removable from panels so I can change or add speakers for experimentation. The E145 and 2123 will not be changed out, but I plan on experimenting above the 2123’s such as adding a 2105 later is very possible. These are going into the living room and I need to keep the cabinet size to 3 cu/ft. I have a sub, so is porting the E145’s needed?

Phase 2
    2405 Diaphragm Replacement D16R2405. I understand that good after market diaphragms can be purchase for about $30 off eBay. Can someone recommend a vender I can trust?

Phase 3
    Experimenting above the 2123’s.

Thanks Zilch.
    I have seen that before and it really shows the potential of the 4628b format and speakers. The crossover is stated to be at 300 and 5000, but I don’t know if this has been confirmed or the steepness of the crossovers. The schematic for the Gold Sound kit would be extremely helpful.

I believe you wrote ‘Might kick the 2118 in a little lower than the spec'd 800 Hz’, presumably to fill in the dip seen in John’s RTA. Did you lower it to 500 Hz like some have suggested or 300 Hz like the GS marketing doc says? How did it work?

You also wrote regarding the 4628 crossovers ‘I wouldn't pay actual money for those crossovers; they barely qualify. Woofer plays full range, substantially overlapping the mid. ACK!’ Did you end up limiting the top end of the woofers?

I know some have replaced the 2118’s with the 2123’s and other have talked about doing it. I have done some research and know that the E145 and 2123 have been paired up before with seemingly great results. It seems that this is usually done with a passive xo at 500 Hz and electronically 300 Hz. But the crossover steepness was not described.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Mitch

I haven't done any of that stuff. Still have all the gear, tho.

John and I were going to repackage 4628B into trapezoid cabinets and build rational crossovers for them, but we ran out of time.

Thankfully, the Minis and floor monitors happened, and are documented in this forum, as is the cab design for 4628B components:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...1675#post61675

Mock up's on the next page, dimensions and final design @ #52....

If you had had time, what would have done next?

I guess all my questions right now are regarding the crossover? Even if you haven't done any specific testing what would you suggest?

Next step would be to build the cabs as prototypes. Note that member Lancer put the final touch on that design, in collaboration with Miss Orchid, very likely.

I'd build the crossovers from scratch, using measurements, maybe start with the XO from the Minis for the mid/high transition. :dont-know

need to modify the XO of 4628b!!!

I also have a pair of 4628B,it's sound great!
    but i want to replace or re-design the XO,anyone can give some suggestions?
    thanks.

Thread Information