Thread: Altec 612 enclosure

Altec 612 enclosure

Where can I find original altec 612 cabinet plan, an original painted cabinet just like the photograph?
    It will be greatly appreciated if you give me information regarding 612 enclosure. Thanks.

photograph

see the attached
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's the earliest 612 plans that are online. They're a later version than pictured, but not the latest 612s;

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1970's-lf-plans/enclosures05.jpg

Never have seen plans for the real old ones.

Psychw, the 612 box was made for a loooong time. It began life in 1937 as the bass enclosure for the Lansing Iconic. It found a new role in 1945 as the utility enclosure for the 604 Duplex, and thousands of this combination were used as studio monitors.

I have four original Iconic boxes, and their dimensions all vary slightly, like 1/8" here or there. I measured one and drew up plans for someone several years ago- here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you very much!!!

Altec 612 Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Psychw, the 612 box was made for a loooong time. It began life in 1937 as the bass enclosure for the Lansing Iconic. It found a new role in 1945 as the utility enclosure for the 604 Duplex, and thousands of this combination were used as studio monitors.

I have four original Iconic boxes, and their dimensions all vary slightly, like 1/8" here or there. I measured one and drew up plans for someone several years ago- here they are.

Hi Steve,

I've just joined this forum having found this post whilst researching plans for the 612 Cabinet [early style]. I'm based in the UK so may well need to have a pair built as they're quite hard to source over here, and hard to find folk in US willing to ship [although if there's anyone with a pair out there for sale who will ship please get in touch!]…

I'm really interested in the plans you posted in this thread but, not being too technical proficient with such technical drawings couldn't make out if these were the plans for an "early" 612 cabinet or not? I'm slightly confused also as the right hand side diagram looks "different" and also that it has "412" (apologies if I offend your handwriting) as the header above it; this diagram looks [aside from the "412" header] to look like it incorporates a horn as well as a woofer(!)…?

Any help you can offer will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Seb.

If Steve will not mind my jumping in here, I believe you are misreading his six with a tight curl as a four.

If by "different" you mean the dimensions of the drawing at the right, please note that it is a sub-baffle. If you will look at photos of the front of the cabinet, including the one on this thread, you will see six small carriage bolt heads, three on each side of the grille opening. When I google this cabinet and choose images I find a few photos taken from the back with the rear panel removed, and see that the sub-baffle is bolted to the inside of the front panel and that it is smaller than the main front panel.

Hope this helps.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Hello seb,

I hope that you can make out my original dimensions as I am unable to conjure up my old drawings from my current computer. I have since sold all my Iconic components and so cannot make fresh drawings. An essential component of the Lansing Iconic sound was the field coil woofer, which could shake the floor and utterly outperform what we normally expect from that size reflex box. I would expect a 1940s Jensen or Magnavox 15" f. c. woofer to meet or come reasonably close to this performance, and they are all over ebay. Between that woofer and the 801b h.f. driver, an original Lansing Iconic is an AMAZING listening experience.

Thanks for trying to clarify things, speakerdave.

Many thanks Steve and Speaker Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Hello seb,

I hope that you can make out my original dimensions as I am unable to conjure up my old drawings from my current computer. I have since sold all my Iconic components and so cannot make fresh drawings. An essential component of the Lansing Iconic sound was the field coil woofer, which could shake the floor and utterly outperform what we normally expect from that size reflex box. I would expect a 1940s Jensen or Magnavox 15" f. c. woofer to meet or come reasonably close to this performance, and they are all over ebay. Between that woofer and the 801b h.f. driver, an original Lansing Iconic is an AMAZING listening experience.

Thanks for trying to clarify things, speakerdave.
    Thanks for getting back to me to both Steve and for extra clarity from Speaker Dave too - the diagram now makes complete sense! I really appreciate the help - cheers again. Seb Clarke.

For those who wish to reproduce the 612... the 1960s hammertone silver Altec version is almost identical dimension wise, though the outer cabinet edges are usually rounded over. They also offer much thicker fiberglass damping material on the interior walls. The early Lansing enclosures used a thin blanket of "rock wool" insulation wrapped in cheesecloth and stapled in place. Jim Lansing carried this tradition over to his late 1940s JBL enclosures.

Thread Information