Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Here, Got A Few Questions

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    suck to hear that....... difficulties sure shakes that tree out...

I have old Altecs, so not much help in looking at upgrades... but good luck and i am sure some folks will pop in with some suggestions....

remember to rest and be well....
    Thanks Louped Garouv, I really appreciate it.

As for my upgrades, well at this point I think it's going to be the Studio L's. Right now I'm thinking the L890's mains, LC2 center, L820's side surrounds, and possibly the L830's or L810's for rear surrounds.

I had planned on just going with L820's for my side and rear surrounds, but I can't make the L820's work for my rear surrounds due to the way I have designed my theater room. The L820's are just a tad too wide and I don't think I'll be able to make them fit.

I'm going to play around with that though. If I can figure out a way to make them work, then that's what I'll do. If not, then I'll be going with either the L830's or L810's for my rear surrounds.

Hi Pyro,

Welcome back and we're all thankful you made it out of the hospital. Having a pneumonia bout with all the winter weather is a huge risk to your health. Glad to hear you're much better.

Although the system is important, I'd recommend continuing to find a way to get your remodel finished, especially if there is any type of exposed or unfinished wall structures. You're losing a lot of heat and possibly getting a lot of drafts into the house as well as being exposed to the inner wall materials which really should stay covered up. Also, since your acoustics will not be finalized until the room is done and initally decorated/furnished, any evaluation of even a preliminary system will be fraught with questions and need a re-audition in the future.

I know you're probably chomping at the bit to move forward, but since you've had this delay, a little more time to get all the other issues buttoned up I think would be time well spent.

I don't have any direct experience with the L series so can't help you there. However, the Array series could also be a great place to start and then there's always the Everest II's...it would just double your entire budget though!

Keep them lungs healthy, they're the only ones you got!

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart, thanks for the kind words. They're very much appreciated.

As for my theater room, it's pretty much finished for the most part. All that is left to do, is what I call finish work. Tape and mud, paint, hang three doors, and install the baseboards, that's pretty much it. I got some minor things left to do in the bar, but they're so small they're not even worth mentioning.

In regards to my upgrades, well I've decided to go with the Studio L series mostly because I've got a whole lot of other equipment/gear that I'm also upgrading/replacing.

In addition to my speakers, I'm also upgrading my subwoofers, projector, screen, amps and or receiver, pretty much giving my system a complete and total make over. Throw all that cost on top of the 30k I shelled out to remodel my theater, and well, I got to put caps/limits on how much I can shell out per component and or piece of equipment.

I feel pretty good about my decision though. Going off of all that I've heard about the Studio L's, I'll be pretty suprised if they disappoint. Time will tell though.

happy to hear of your recovery, if you are interested in used here is 1 of a few on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0439&rd=1&rd=1

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    happy to hear of your recovery, if you are interested in used here is 1 of a few on the bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...0439&rd=1&rd=1

Mark
    Thank you, Mark. I appreciate it more then what I can express in words.

It's funny you should point that out, for I came across that earlier when searching for some of the discountinued models that are so often mentioned/talked about.

Although that setup is tempting, I'm going to have to pass on it for it won't go real well with the way I'm designing my theater room. Think of a cave, for that's pretty much what it's going to be. All black, black walls, black ceiling, and black carpet, with white baseboards and trim.

I decided I'm either going to go with black speakers, where they'll simply fade away when the lights go off and movie begins. Or, I'm going to go with Beech, to help bring out and offer some contrast.

Kurt

Thread Information