Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4343s improve with age

Tom Loizeaux

4343s improve with age

Just wanted to pass on my sense that my 4343s are sounding better recently. Both 2231 woofers were re-foamed about a year or so ago and I think I'm still hearing very slight improvements in the very low end in the past few months. The bass just seems a little deeper than I remember, or was expecting on CDs that I've played many times before. Of course it could be a number of other things...including ME, but I suspect the surrounds and spiders are coming into form.

Tom

Sounds like a true love affair to me. My 128H drivers sound better now a year after refoaming. The bass is deeper and cleaner than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Loizeaux
    Just wanted to pass on my sense that my 4343s are sounding better recently. Both 2231 woofers were re-foamed about a year or so ago and I think I'm still hearing very slight improvements in the very low end in the past few months. The bass just seems a little deeper than I remember, or was expecting on CDs that I've played many times before. Of course it could be a number of other things...including ME, but I suspect the surrounds and spiders are coming into form.

Tom
    I know many of you will disagree, but I seriously mean that a new JBL woofer or a re-cone needs about 200 hours of playing before it does it best. I guess re-foaming also need quite some time, but I have no personal experience with that. (Re-foaming)

Lekreh
    Good news

Smile

It takes months for me to get 100 hours on some of my systems, except for the Performance Series. Refoamed drivers like the 2214H and LE14H-1 have about 30 hours each after four months. It'll be interesting to see how they measure/sound after a year when they'll hopefully have 100 or so hours on them.
    Out.

Smile 4430s

I have to admit, the 4430s I got last year with the refoamed 2235H drivers are sounding better these days. I even reset the B380 sub output as things started to sound a tad bass heavy.

Is it me or the drivers? I don't know. :dont-know
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    I even reset the B380 sub output as things started to sound a tad bass heavy.
    HUH?

BX63A I fixed still working?

[Amazing.... ]

Thumbs up Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    HUH?

BX63A I fixed still working?

[Amazing.... ]
    Not only is it still working, but now it's dusting my office and taking out the trash due that nano technology you put in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Out.

Depends how often you play them and how loud.

Frankly, if the 2231 has the original cone and spider you owe it to yourself to have it completely reconed. Both the spider and cone do age over time and in some cases will require replacement with heavy use.(see below)

Back in the 80's I had a pair of 2231's in a 4343 I built and they were excellent woofers at the time. We also used the 2231H as a second pair to reinforce/augment the stock 4343 in large rooms.

What I did find was using a very powerful and stable amp for the bass when biamping prolonged their lifespan. Keeping the coil in the gap and maintaining a very firm grip when you start to approach the limits of Xmax is important. I also used a 18 db filter below 30 hertz when running vinyl.The power amplifer was a brand new Phase Linear 700B. The driver only failure was one rare event by accident when the preamp power was removed before the power amp power.

Although in my climate the foam lasts about 10 years I would recommend reconing and not refoaming, in heavy use I would recone every 3 years (day in day out studio use). As I recall the newer 2235 recones have a different spider geometry and they are definately more robust. There is a thread about this somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
    It takes months for me to get 100 hours on some of my systems, except for the Performance Series. Refoamed drivers like the 2214H and LE14H-1 have about 30 hours each after four months. It'll be interesting to see how they measure/sound after a year when they'll hopefully have 100 or so hours on them.
    Yes, for many people it will take a long time to break the speakers in. (100-200 hours). BUT, it's not really a long time if you remember that they are intended for professional use. Used daily in a studio I will think 200 hours in about 6-8 weeks.

So, we presume everything mixed during the first 6-8 weeks is therefore FUBAR?

Can we all say together?

[Y'all're makin' stuff up again, is what.... ]

So, we presume everything mixed during the first 6-8 weeks is therefore FUBAR?

Can we all say together?

[Y'all're makin' stuff up again, is what.... ]
    I guess a studio will WAIT to use a new studio monitor for "working stuff" until they are well played in. Or do you mean that a new speaker don't need any break in time???

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf
    I guess a studio will WAIT to use a new studio monitor for "working stuff" until they are well played in. Or do you mean that a new speaker don't need any break in time???
    I doubt any studio waits to use its newest monitors.

As far a measurable differences are concerned, it's all over in a matter of minutes. There's a thread on that here recently.

On the other hand, it's alleged to take 20 to 40 years of use for a fine guitar to acquire its fully resonant tone....

I doubt any studio waits to use its newest monitors.
    You might be right in that one Zilch, I did not say the actually do it, I said I GUESS they will. I am not that familiar with what the do/do not.
    As far a measurable differences are concerned, it's all over in a matter of minutes. There's a thread on that here recently.
    Maybe you can't measure a difference (I doubt that to) I must disagree regarding the sound improvement over time. After re-coning several of 15" JBL woofers (not by me) over the years there are clearly that they sound better, and go deeper after being played on for some time.

In earlier days, when a re-cone was necessary I used to put on a 30Hz tone in the morning when I went to work, and turn it off when I got back 8-9 hours later. This I did for about a week. I slowly increased the volume level day by day. At the end of each day I played the same record, and there was no doubt that there was improvement. Not so much from day to day, but from start to finish it was a great difference.
    On the other hand, it's alleged to take 20 to 40 years of use for a fine guitar to acquire its fully resonant tone....
    That I did not know.

Thread Information