Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Klipsch La Scala Opinions....ASAP?

Klipsch La Scala Opinions....ASAP?

I am going to check out a set of Klipsch La Scala's tonight and would like to know what to expect soundwise. The guy that has them is NOT an audio guy and I would probably just get to hear them thru a cheap surround amp. Anyways, of course i am a JBL guy , but speakers of this caliber are not available in my area too often. If they are in good shape, what would be a good price to offer. He thinks that he paid $1500 or so for them 20 years ago.

I think they are Klipsch

Isn't that Klipsch La Scala? I dont think Altec made La Scalas.

Anyone else?

LOL......I changed it. Been a long day

On the used market Klipsch La Scalas tend to go for $400-$1200 depending on location, finish, and condition.

They are a very compact (24" X 24" X 36") fully horn loaded system that is extremely sensitive... one watt will send you from the room if you are anywhere near normal... they have a strong following and have their own unique sound... you may decide you no longer like JBLs and become a Klipsch fan or you may hate them... they are a bit too opinionated for my taste and have little bass below about 50-60Hz... equalized and with proper subs three of them plus a pair of Klipsch Heresys could make a pretty stunning HT however.

Widget

changed what?

So, what kind of speakers are they?

Thanks.

La Scalas

It is a 15'' 3way with a Midrange Horn and the tweeter horn depending upon age was probebly made by EV.
    Almost forgot the 15'' is in a folded design.
    They have the ability to pin your ears back 104 db @ 1 watt per metre.
    Have fun
    Michael

They are a very brash speaker that beam badly and have no bass. I would have to say they are one of the worst loudspeakers I have ever heard.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Shuster
    They are a very brash speaker that beam badly and have no bass. I would have to say they are one of the worst loudspeakers I have ever heard.
    Tell us how you really feel!

John

I have heard statements like this before. You have never heard them set up correctly and assume that they are all crap because someone did not know what they were doing. Feed them with a tube preamp and a tube amp or good SS or digital and they will just sing. My K Horns were never harsh at all when set up right. Same for my Belles. They are also increadably detailed. You will hear subtle detailes that were never heard before.

I have a pair of B&W N801's that sound awesome at home. At the local dealer, their 802D's ($12,000) sound like crap because they are not set up correctly. Shoudl I assume that all B&W 802's are junk?

Quote Originally Posted by L100t Owner
    My K Horns were never harsh at all when set up right. Same for my Belles.
    You had them unplugged then.

I'm glad you like your Klipsch but don't assume someone who dosen't like them is too stupid to hook them up right. The tube amp band-aid only goes so far. The horn dispersion is what I find wrong with heritage Klipsch. Paul Klipsch also threw the baby out with the bath water to get horn loaded "bass".

I think the KLF series was somewhat better. The Epic series are the best Klipsch speakers I have heard but they aren't as dynamic.

You had them unplugged then.

I'm glad you like your Klipsch but don't assume someone who dosen't like them is too stupid to hook them up right. The tube amp band-aid only goes so far. The horn dispersion is what I find wrong with heritage Klipsch. Paul Klipsch also threw the baby out with the bath water to get horn loaded "bass".

I think the KLF series was somewhat better. The Epic series are the best Klipsch speakers I have heard but they aren't as dynamic.
    I just read the harsh part. Didn't say you were too stupid to hook them up right. The dispersion may be a problem. Klipsch had a design for a center speaker, meaning that there is a problem.

However, I have heard many say they sound so harsh and horrible and they really do not. Just need the right source, which seems to be tubes or, surprisingly, digital amplification. Mine were outstanding when teh system was dialed in.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

pair for sale in denver area

The Klipsch LaScala is IMO one of the worst sounding speakers ever made, only the Klipsch Heresy matches it for Skilsawlike sound.

I owned a couple of sets back in the day when all I cared about was reproducing UFO and Rush records at 120db levels and they did that well enough.

The speaker's flaws are a rough tweeter with limited highs, an overly directional midrange horn (a LaScala sounds much better IMO&E when the stock mid horn is replaced with a wide dispersion EV SM-120A mid horn) and a lack of bass. The result is a midrange heavy tonal balance that can set one's teeth on edge and a sound like one of those hand-cranked air-raid sirens from a WW II movie.

Some people like the speaker (you can find people to like almost any damned thing) and some use colored electronics that EQ the sound to their liking. I recently heard LaScalas driven by an Audio Note 300B SET amp and they still sounded like LaScalas---like Hell, in other words.

Geez, looks like it is either you guys either love them or really hate them! THe owner never called back last nite with an answer . I would atleast like to get them, listen to them and if I despise them, I will have good trading/selling stock . I also know of a set of VOTT's, but the guy would need alot of begging to sell them.

Jeff----To be fair the LaScalas do have the vitues of excellent clarity and dynamics. However IMO these virtues can be found in other horn speakers with far better tonality, several Altecs and JBLs come to mind.

Also, I think that Klipsch Cornwalls and Khorns, with their deeper bass and more robust tonal balance sound far better than LaScalas.

As you noted if you don't like them you can sell them easily enough, perhaps to one of the guys at the Klipsch forum who will spend the next year changing drivers, crossovers and horns in an attempt to make them sound good. Like the guys who end up with a so-called "LaScala" with an Altec 288-1005 midrange, a JBL tweeter and a big JBL sub.

Thread Information