Thread: Sad 2402H Story

Sad 2402H Story

I consider myself lucky, in that for all the transactions I've executed on ebay I have never been taken advantage of. If there was a problem the person took responsibility and corrected it to my satisfaction.... Until now!

Last week I bought a pair of 2402H tweets to use in a tri-amp configuration with my subs and L100s. They arrived yesterday damaged. They were not packaged properly for something of their value, weight, and fragility. The bottom of the box open (tape fell off), the packaging shifted, and the tweets banged into each other. On one the magnet shattered and the other has a small chip taken out of the magnet. To make maters worse the seller insured them for less than I paid.

It's looking like the seller isn't going to do anything to remedy this which leaves me with two options. 1) File in insurance claim and give up the tweets for less than I paid. 2) Try to make the best of it.

Can this tweet ever work properly, considering the amount of magnet damage? I can attempt to superglue the pieces back on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RIP 2009

Sad to say, 3 out of the last 4 shipments I've received from eBay sellers have arrived damaged! Fortunately, the damage was all to amp cases, (bent rack ears, etc.), but I really can't believe what the average seller thinks constitutes good packing... I was lucky, in that even though it took a while, I finally received the insurance for all 3 amps - 'came close to making them free purchases, (with a little labor on my part).

In your case, I think you'll have to chalk it up to what you can get from insurance - even if it "seemed" to function after a repair job, would you ever be able to trust it, (or your ears)?

John

Audivex

Shattered 2402's

The important thing is: do they still work properly? A sine sweep would tell you that. As long as the gap has not shifted and the voice coil is unimpeded, I would just clean off all the shards of magnet from the outside with tape and put the rubber bumpers back on. There are just too many pieces to consider gluing them back on. Further, Crazy Glue and epoxy do not work on ceramic; you would need to use the same anaerobic acrylic adhesive that JBL uses to assemble the magnet structure.

I bought them knowing one had a bad diaphragm, so I am unable to test it. The one with all the magnet damage is the one that works. I did a quick test by hooking up to my L100. It worked fine. Actually sounds much nicer than the LE26. I was able to SuperGlue five or six of the big magnet pieces back in place. All of the damage was in two spots that are about 45 degrees from each other. I'm now left with a bunch of magnet crumbs. About a couple of grams. Should I just throw away the crumbs and move on? Since I can't determine the polarization of the crumbs I feel it would do more harm than good to just randomly gule them in.

I'm going to order a new diaphragm from ebay and try the rebuild.

Steve Gonzales

PM

Did you pay with a Visa Card? You can charge it back if you did. I'd like to know who the seller is so I can steer clear. Sorry about the mess.

Claim it for what you can get via insurance, and get a new pair off eBay. You can score them fairly inexpensively.

You can also check with local pro sound companies and repair shops in your area, they may have some good used ones to sell.

You can also check www.hticsproaudio.com, they always have 2402,s listed for sale.
    scottyj

I've already met with the P.O. claims people. For me to claim the $200 insurance I have to give them the drivers. The only other alternative is to provide them a repair bill (not an invoice for repair parts), and they will pay for the repair up to $200. Seems like I loose with any type of insurance claim.

I think I'll just use them the way they are.

I have a signal generator, but no way to measure the output from the 2402H. Any way to test them other than my ears?

Quote Originally Posted by HipoFutura
    I have a signal generator, but no way to measure the output from the 2402H. Any way to test them other than my ears?
    Your ears are the ultimate judge. If they sound ok, why bother measuring?

Run the sweep from 2.5 kHz to 16 kHz at a moderate level, and listen for any anomalies.

Put a 10 uF capacitor in series with it or run it through a HF crossover to protect it from frequencies below ~ 2 kHz if you're unsure of what you're doing with the amp and signal generator.

Consider acquiring an RTA if you're gonna seriously play around with this stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by HipoFutura
    I did a quick test by hooking up to my L100. It worked fine. Actually sounds much nicer than the LE26.
    Rethinkin' your plan, are ya?

Since we live in such a litigious society I don't dare post this guy's ebay userid on a public forum. However, I'd be happy to share it via PM with anyone interested.

This weekend I'll run a signal sweep of the working 2402H and listen for problems. I suspect they'll sound fine. I've order a diaphragm to rebuild the other. Don't know if I have the required skills. Will know next week!

I flipped out over the last couple of weeks and picked up more hi-freq drivers than I have use for. I have the pair of 2402H, a pair of 035tia, and a pair of 2405. I'd love to put the 035tia in my L100s, but don't want to cut up the cabinets. I'll build a pair of pretty cabinets for the 2405s and tri-amp them. Don't kow what I'll do with the others. I have a spair pair of 123A1 drivers. Could be a new set of DIY speakers someday down the road.

Thread Information