Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew Clues system

Drew Clues system

hey guys well I'm going to try my hand at making the system out lined by drew clues on here
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pe...ues/system.htm

Now for drivers I'm looking at buying all brand new

Horn - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2382a.pdf
    Compression driver - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2446.pdf
    Midrange - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2012h.pdf
    Woofers - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2226.pdf
    sub woofers - http://www.jblpro.com/pub/components/2242.pdf

will these be fine substitutes?

I'm looking at building 3 towers for LCR and 2 subs

what amplifiers would u guys recommend for running these drivers as i read now that crown are now Chinese manufactured and am not 100% of quality?

would there be an issue with only using a single 15" woofer in each or will the efficiency make an imbalance to the horns and mid?

i was wondering if adding a JBL 2405 would make a large difference, as my mate is currently gathering his drivers and he swears buy using them as he fears the 2" horns wont go all the way to kHz?

Any hints and tips would be great i have a couple of like minded mates living near me that are very keen to help me out, and i have access to a CNC machine for making the boxes.

sorry for the noob questions just starting out.

Hello,

Great project, you will certainly have a lot of fun!!
    What crossover are you planning to use? Do you have measurement tools?

As for the amplifier, take a look at the Ram-Audio S serie (4 ways amps).
    These would be perfect for the top 3 drivers (for example one S3004 amp per tower) and a class AB/H amp for the subwoofers (Ram-Audio Bux for exemple, or any big old crown or crest amp).

Concerning the 2405, you can always add them afterward if you feel you need them. You will have to keep them at ear level though, as they are very directive (almost laser beam) in the vertical plan.

Wink

Hi Dualbios;

Welcome to the forum!

I have been collecting everything to build this system too. All that I lack is the 2382's.

Too bad the 2227's are so hard to find. I have them for my project and I am always looking for more of them. I guess the 2226 is the best currently available substitute. 2220's would work well I believe but will require even more EQ than the 2227's. I think the 2220's sound more like the 2227's by the way but they are kind of fragile.

About one 15 vs two, I thought about that a lot and would bet in a home system it would be enough however I am going to build this as originally designed just to see what it sounds like as designed. In the end I'm sure mine will have 2405's on top as well, I really don't like the sound of the 2450 / 2446 much above 10 kHz.

As for the the rest for me, a DBX4800 with two Crown CE 4000's for 2242's two CE 2000's for the 2227's, and two CE 1000's for the 2123's and 2446's.

It just sounds like fun.

Do share your progress with us.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Hi Dualbios

I too have been inspired by Drew Daniels. Concerning your question about needing a 2405 or not. The answer is yes, you will need the 2405 drivers. The 2382a/2446h combination has a definite roll-off above 10 KHz. So, you will want the 2405s.

Since, I happen to have first hand experience will most of the driver that you are thinking of using in your project. You will want to check out the following link as it may answer a few of your questions.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?11664

Baron030

Hello Dualbios

Your drivers should work just fine.

would there be an issue with only using a single 15" woofer in each or will the efficiency make an imbalance to the horns and mid?

No not at all. If you run active you just use the amplifier or driver gain knobs to balance things out. Which ever one gives you the best S/N ratio. That system inspired me years ago to do my own scaled down active version.

In it's current version I have LE-14 subs for stereo E-145 midwoofers, 2123 midranges and up top I have 2435's on PTH1010 waveguides. When I run them as part of my HT I have an Array 880 center and dual LFE B-380 subs with modded L20T rears.

i was wondering if adding a JBL 2405 would make a large difference, as my mate is currently gathering his drivers and he swears buy using them as he fears the 2" horns wont go all the way to kHz?

Depends my 2435’s don’t really go out to 20k. They are rollIng off above 10K but sound fine as is. You are going to listen and see for yourself.

what amplifiers would u guys recommend for running these drivers as i read now that crown are now Chinese manufactured and am not 100% of quality?

I use all older Crowns PS series. I like them. They sound good, are built to last and don’t use any fans. Fans can be a real issue if you cannot issolate the amps in a closet away from the listening room. I have PS-200’s on the E-145. 2123 and 2435 so 100 watts a driver. The subs have 250 watts on the Le-14's and 325 watts on the B380's. When I design a system I look at the power requirements to meet my max SPL goal. As long as I can do that all is well and good. I could use larger amps but I don't see the point as long as the Peak SPL goal is met.

Have fun! I had a great time upgrading and using this system over the years. When you are done and drop on a movie are you going to be in for a surprise. It will knock your socks off!

Rob

"I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Hello,

Great project, you will certainly have a lot of fun!!
    What crossover are you planning to use? Do you have measurement tools?

As for the amplifier, take a look at the Ram-Audio S serie (4 ways amps).
    These would be perfect for the top 3 drivers (for example one S3004 amp per tower) and a class AB/H amp for the subwoofers (Ram-Audio Bux for exemple, or any big old crown or crest amp).

Concerning the 2405, you can always add them afterward if you feel you need them. You will have to keep them at ear level though, as they are very directive (almost laser beam) in the vertical plan.
    I'm trying to find out if the is a importer of the ram audio amplifiers in Australia,a as they seem to be a perfect fit.

The 2405 ATM I think I will leave it till I hear the system maybe even borrow my mates to trial, as I'm also wondering do I run them actively aswell or just passive off the horn?

For processing I was looking at using the Behringer dcx2496 pre amp I'm looking at a denon network receiver will get part number for it it's the one with XLr pre outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualbios View Post
    I'm trying to find out if the is a importer of the ram audio amplifiers in Australia,a as they seem to be a perfect fit.
    There seems to be one: PULSE AUDIO VISUAL www.pulseav.com.au
    http://www.ramaudio.com/contact.htm

Dhc 80.3 integra pre amplifier sorry guys.

emails are flying back and forth chasing quotes. actually have my local supplier of the jbl drivers trying to talk me out of it was an interested talk non the less

His name is actually Drew Daniels not Drew Clues, the kids TV show ...

Drew Daniels passed away last year ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...6-Drew-Daniels

http://mixonline.com/news/drew_daniels_obituary_0212/
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

yeah mate, just used the title that was on the front systems page. amazing man

just got my 3 2226 drivers :-) one step closer

struggling to find any 2012h drivers, seem to find a lot of 2123 drivers for the mids and only able to find 2405 drivers in the states :-( going to be a slow progress job

[QUOTE=hjames;320495]His name is actually Drew Daniels not Drew Clues, the kids TV show ...

I believe that's Blues Clues the childrens show on Nick Jr. My grandchildren watch it.
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

[QUOTE=gferrell;324713]
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    His name is actually Drew Daniels not Drew Clues, the kids TV show ...

I believe that's Blues Clues the childrens show on Nick Jr. My grandchildren watch it.
    Right - its a play on the words ... grin
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information