Thread: Changing a 2405 Ohm Rating

Changing a 2405 Ohm Rating

Can a 8 ohm diaphragm be put in a 16 ohm 2405 to convert the driver to 8 ohms? Or is there some other way to drive the 10 ohm tweet with an 8 ohm amp? This is probably a dumbazz question, but is it possible to put an 8 ohm resistor in series with the driver to drop the resistance in half? Don

There is no such animal..

Quote Originally Posted by HipoFutura
    Can a 8 ohm diaphragm be put in a 16 ohm 2405...
    http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...2&postcount=51

There has been a lot of confusion about JBL's impedance ratings... this is the best answer to date. Thank you Harvey!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...5&postcount=37

Widget

Thanks Widget! Now that we have "Papel Certitude" from Harvey I am at ease. It gives one pause when there's a JBL emblem on the back stamped with 16 Ohms. Harvey said it best - they lied. Thirty years later it can cause quite a bit of confusion!

Yes, it is good that we now have "Papel Certitude"... I have been posting graphs and explaining it to people for years and they always walk away scratching their heads muttering, "well maybe..."

Funny how seeing something in print seems to hold more sway than empirical facts... and please do read way too much into that one.

Widget

Please don't take my comment the wrong way. Your impedance graph clearly answered the question. My "Papal Certitude" comment was made tongue in cheek, because I understand well the voice of authority.

I make a living with facts, graphs, design documents, studies, succinct communications, etc. etc. I'm the guy who flies in from out of town, with the briefcase, and tells a company the same thing their management team has been saying for years. However, when I say it people take it seriously.... go figure! Don

Quote Originally Posted by HipoFutura
    Please don't take my comment the wrong way...
    I guess I should have been more clear... I wasn't aiming my comment at you at all... it is simply that so many people would rather believe in snake oil or some form of mysticism than empirical evidence. That makes me wander off scratching my head and muttering...

...all that OT commentary aside, it really was good of Harvey to shed some light as to why JBL has seemed cavalier in their impedance ratings. I always assumed that it was due to marketing and the types of amps that were popular at the various points in time... apparently it was related to the amps that were popular at the time but the intent was to get the most from one's system and not some silly marketing ploy. Cheers once again for JBL... especially vintage JBL.

Widget

Thread Information