Thread: L96 monitor sound in "small" surround spk ?

L96 monitor sound in "small" surround spk ?

Hi guys,

Back here as I am now very (very, very) happy with my L96 . My previous main speakers were satellite northridge N24 and are now used as sourround speakers. I would like to know if there are vintage speakers that have approximately the same size (as northridge N24), but with a more "monitor" sound. Indeed I feel that the transparency and details of the sound of the L96 (what I really like) is not in my surround and .. well, you know how it goes : Can do better !

I do not know of JBL did "small" speakers at a time as some of their speakers are pretty ..huge and my waf would not accept surround monsters ...

Thanks for you help,
    ToFKiTaFF!

Welcome! Have you looked at the L 46? It's the same generation as the L 96, but contains an 8" woofer and the same tweeter. For their size, the quality of their sound is amazing. Some of the older variations might also work like the L 16 or the L 19 which are also 8" 2 way speakers, but use a 1.4" cone tweeter similar to the one used in the L 100. All of these show up on ePay from time to time.

Thanks a lot ! I have also had references such as 4406, 4408A, but the "problem" (Not mine you know... ) is the size, they are quite big fior "simple" surround speakers in a living room. In fact, while reading JBL pro vintage catalog, I think they were NO very small monitors such as control one, at that time .. Am I wrong ? going in vintage speakers means a minimum size as materials used at that time did not have the good "performance" to make cabinets quite small ?

hmm ?

Regards,

Maybe the L20T might be a better fit. It contains a 6.5" woofer and a 1" titanium dome. It is a newer generation than the L46. I can't say for sure how good a match it is with your L96s, but it may be worth a try. If they don't work out, you can always sell them. To venture a guess, I think they would work out fine . Maybe, a forum member experienced with both of these can shed some more light.

4301 and 4401 were about the smallest. That's L15 (034 tweeter,) L16, L20 territory in the consumer line.

Control series used the moulded cabinets, some of them being smaller. There was an early Control 1. See also Control 5....

that's it !

Hi guys,

Thanks for all; I went just a few minutes ago to listen to Control 1 in Hc configuration. 4 control one, a good JBL sub and JBL for dialog (like Northridge EC35 ) as well. I must say that it is amazing how many details can get out of those small piece. we listen to many action parts of Xmen 2 (for me the best way to test surround, rigth ?)

They are completely matching my requirements in terms of sound, price AND size. So, I am going to try to sell my actual N24 to buy those control 1. They are 170 euros.

Thanks for your advices,
    ToFKiTaFF
    Electr:HK AVR2550,HK DVD 22, harmony 555
    Main : L96
    Sur : control one
    Sub : Studio lab

Thread Information