Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4411s ....what is their worth?

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy
    random thoughts:
    placement, personal preference, room size and treatments, settings of mid/high level
    controls, receiver "loudness" control on?, ...

-grumpy
    Thanks grumpy...ive been playing with some of those things you mentionedOne thing for sure is they sound better spread apart at least 6 feet.when they were close to each other (as in above pix) the bass was intensified for reasons technically unknown to me.. mbask

Quote Originally Posted by mbask
    Thanks grumpy...ive been playing with some of those things you mentionedOne thing for sure is they sound better spread apart at least 6 feet.when they were close to each other (as in above pix) the bass was intensified for reasons technically unknown to me.. mbask
    Probably a room-boom effect for where you had the speaker located.

I have not heard the 4411 in stock enclosures. I have listened to the exact same components in a custom enclosure with the 4411 xover, with the L112 xover, and with the L150 (not the “A” which is the same as the L112) xover. I have also listened to the 4412 components, again all stock but in a custom enclosure.

I always found the bass higher in level on the 4411 setup than with the others. When moved out from the walls, this diminished the bass level more in balance with the total spectrum. This, along with the array of the drivers on the baffle, led me to believe that the 4411 was designed for near field location and well out into the room. As you would expect to find mounted over a mixing board or remote station. Move them closer to boundaries and the bass level gets reinforced too much. Don't even think about corner placement.

Try moving them around the room to see for yourself.

DavidF

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF
    Probably a room-boom effect for where you had the speaker located.

This, along with the array of the drivers on the baffle, led me to believe that the 4411 was designed for near field location and well out into the room. As you would expect to find mounted over a mixing board or remote station. Move them closer to boundaries and the bass level gets reinforced too much. Don't even think about corner placement.</p>
    Try moving them around the room to see for yourself.

DavidF
    Ah yes...that makes sense! their to close to the wall behind. Why was that not obvious to me?....I feel staggeringly smart right now. have you any pix of the mods (4411components-custom cabs) you mentioned?

Smile

Hi mbask ,
    I'm new on the forum. Perhaps it's going to sound funny but I don't find the button we must press to post a message ! Could you please tell what I must do to post my own messages without pressing on the "post reply" button. I'm asking you because you possess JBL 4411 as I do and I wanted to ask few questions about these loudspeakers.
    Thank you very much, Best regards.
    JonyBgood.

back up a level... "New Thread"

Thread Information