Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thump?

Well if I leave the amp on full time it will wear the caps much quicker. 24hrs * 365 days a year =8760hrs per year!!! Yowzaaaa!!!

Well, i'm no expert in this but I do believe that many people do recomend doing just that. I have friends of mine that have had their amps on for years, and I do mean years as in 10 !! Perhaps the on and off cycle is as damagaing....??? I don't know. Just a suggestion.

B

gyusher

24/7

My Forte' gets hot enough now to cook meat after a couple hours. . .Mine runs Class A for the first 20 watts. . . .I think I will put a fan on it or by it aimed at it. . . .Its not too hot but very warm. . .I dont think I want it running 24/7. . .,
    BTW since warming this guy up the thump went away. . . .No more shut down thump. . . . . .
    Last edited by gyusher; 11-23-2003 at 07:13 AM.

The Thresholds are quasi Class A designs meaning they draw a substantial current even at idle. If you can handle the power bills and air conditioning necessary to offset the BTU's thrown off by these amps, leaving them on shouldn't hurt them. (Speaking as a longtime Threshold 400A owner)
    Regards

Don McRitchie

gyusher

Bias current

Do anyone of you know what the correct Bias current should be for my Forte' Model 3?? Right now I am at 40mv. . . .I had it at around 90ma but it was just too hot, not unruly hot but hotter than I like it to be. When I set it the bias was 0. . .And it ran as cold as a cuccumber. . .Too cool, but sounded fine. . .Since warming it up it sounds better. . .a little warmer bottom. Since comming down from 90 to 40 she still sounds great but not near as hot. Very warm now but not near hot. . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information