Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: D130 vs D130F and D131 vs D131F

Hi everyone! I'm new here & have question about difference btwn D130F & D140F?

Hi everyone! I came across this site through a Google search as I was trying to find a reputable place to recone 2 D130F's that I own that came out of a '68 Fender Dual Showman cabinet that I own. But my question is, can I recone a D130F to D140F specs? Is that possible? And what exactly are the physical, mechanical, frequency & wattage differences between them?

I am a touring bass player and used to use this cabinet many years ago with an old Ampeg V4/VT-22 head before the paper surrounds started to tear. And then I ended up putting the better of the two speakers into another cabinet, only to find that a guitar player friend of mine had a 5 string bass player friend of his blow it out! Man, was a P.O'd!! I also did something very stupid to them when the paper surrounds started to tear...I patched them with silicone caulking, but I over-did it! Anyway, that was many. many years before I knew any better. LOL!! But the incredible sounds I got from that setup, MAN!! I would love to recapture that sound once again!

I will probably keep them to spec when I have them re-coned, but I was just curious about the differences between the D130F & D140F. I also want to thank Harvey Gerst for designing these wonderful speakers, and to say what an honor it is to be in your presence on these pages! Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by bottom4strings View Post
    Hi everyone! I came across this site through a Google search as I was trying to find a reputable place to recone 2 D130F's that I own that came out of a '68 Fender Dual Showman cabinet that I own. But my question is, can I recone a D130F to D140F specs? Is that possible? And what exactly are the physical, mechanical, frequency & wattage differences between them?
    I believe you can use the E140 kit to recone a D130F to a D140F. The D140F cone is ribbed and uses a copper voice coil instead of aluminum and will handle more power. Those are the basic differences between the two speakers.

5 string bass!

I have a 5 string bass and for sure you should use the E140 recone.
    Many people say the the D130F is good for bass. Well it will work, but it will get blown out. This is why Harvey designed the D140F! I have a pair of D140F that are over 40 years old and still sound great!.

Hi bottom4strings

If you are going to have these drivers re-coned, then it is well worth having the Alnico magnets recharged at the same time. When I had my D130 drivers re-coned, it only cost another $20 per driver to have the magnets recharged. And considering the high cost of the JBL C8RE130 parts, labor, shipping, and handling, the small additional charge was a very worth while investment.

Considering your application, I would recommend going with genuine JBL C8RE140 parts.

Also, it might be a good idea to re-tune the enclosure’s ports to match E140 Thiele-Small Parameters. Just measure and post the inside dimensions of that '68 Fender Dual Showman cabinet and someone here can crunch the numbers and recommend the best port tuning. Actually, there might be two different port tuning solutions, depending on if you play a 4-string (low open E) or a 5-string (low open B) bass.

Baron030

The 140 will take more abuse but don't be disapointed that it will take a lot more power for the same level of sound. The 140 is not nealy as efficient as a 130.
    I'm a bass player, I use 4 and 5 string basses.
    The D130F was an amazing speaker, it had a gooy substance on the surrounds, I bought two in about 1961 and are still in good shape. I have two D140s also.
    I could not estimate the number of hours these speakers have endured and in some really bad environments.
    Kudos to the guys that designed and built these speakers.

Thread Information