Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: D130 vs D130F and D131 vs D131F

D130F testimony

I own a D130F that was blown being used as a sub at a gig. The speaker was part of a pair that a friend of mine and I split...they were given to us just at the moment they were going to be tossed in the trash! I walked it into a JBL facility in Southern CA near Northridge, CA where I was living at the time, and paid I believe around $225 to have it completely rebuilt, including a re-mag. About 15 guys came out of the facility to meet me and my speaker, all of which asked how much to part with it. I had no idea what was in my hand at the time...but the amount of interest alone got me to say "NO! Not for sale!"

I then proceeded to build a sub enclosure for it and use it as part of my home theatre behind a Marantz MA500U monoblock amp. Only the word AWESOME comes to mind. The speaker blows my mind, and can't even imagine what they sounded like as a guitar amp speaker. Fabulous sound quality and amazing dizzying lows for such old technology!

Anyway, hi all!

My question is this now...I was on Thiel Small's website and actually found spec for a D130. My question is this: Are the numbers regarding Vas, Qts, Qes, Fs, xmas, etc all pretty similar? My knowledge of this has been that the casting and physical nature of the beast is the only real difference, so that the components of the speaker wouldn't come apart as easily when over driven...is this really the case?

Thanks all! Good meeting you all!

Quote Originally Posted by yosemitesamiam View Post
    I own a D130F that was blown being used as a sub at a gig. The speaker was part of a pair that a friend of mine and I split...they were given to us just at the moment they were going to be tossed in the trash! I walked it into a JBL facility in Southern CA near Northridge, CA where I was living at the time, and paid I believe around $225 to have it completely rebuilt, including a re-mag. About 15 guys came out of the facility to meet me and my speaker, all of which asked how much to part with it. I had no idea what was in my hand at the time...but the amount of interest alone got me to say "NO! Not for sale!"

I then proceeded to build a sub enclosure for it and use it as part of my home theatre behind a Marantz MA500U monoblock amp. Only the word AWESOME comes to mind. The speaker blows my mind, and can't even imagine what they sounded like as a guitar amp speaker. Fabulous sound quality and amazing dizzying lows for such old technology!

Anyway, hi all!

My question is this now...I was on Thiel Small's website and actually found spec for a D130. My question is this: Are the numbers regarding Vas, Qts, Qes, Fs, xmas, etc all pretty similar? My knowledge of this has been that the casting and physical nature of the beast is the only real difference, so that the components of the speaker wouldn't come apart as easily when over driven...is this really the case?

Thanks all! Good meeting you all!
    By the way...the fact that JBL rebuilt my speaker...all original...metal dust cap, everything...totally factory looking. It was worth every penny of what I spent on that rebuild...now I wish I had the other one...DARN!

Quote Originally Posted by yosemitesamiam View Post
    I own a D130F that was blown being used as a sub at a gig.

I dont see how a D130 or D130F for that mater could be used as a SUB? The box must be the size of a house

Quote Originally Posted by clubman View Post
    I dont see how a D130 or D130F for that mater could be used as a SUB? The box must be the size of a house
    Go figure, but it is rebuilt and seeing the same use today, but in home audio with 125W or so going to it...not the 1000W it took to blow it!

As for my box, it is 19" wide, 12" deep and 5.5' tall. That's 8.7 cubic feet to the outside of the box, plus 3 2x4s internally for bracing along the width and stuffed full of insulation. I'm also running 2 2.5"x5" ports. It is tuned to 40Hz perfectly confirmed with a spectrum analyzer and run out the sub channel of my processor which allows me to low pass at 100Hz.

It is loud. It is really, really loud. The spectrum analyzer confirmed 118dB at full tilt using a 40Hz sine wave. I have a sine wave sweep from 10Hz to 100Hz that takes about 3 minutes to get from one end to the other...at 10Hz I shook the house bad enough to lose a couple wine glasses off the shelf. Everything was jumping like mad...when it gets to audible it makes you def. I had friends run out of the house screaming. Haven't made anyone poop themselves yet...leave that to the $10,000 18" Geo Sub by Nexo.

The D130F is not a subwoofer, there is little to no cone excursion at all. I dont care if it was rebuilt or not. I havnt seen any subwoofers with paper surrounds and alluminum domes. Its a full range driver. You would be much better off using a actual woofer that is rated as a subwoofer and not designed for guitar use.

The D130F is not a subwoofer, there is little to no cone excursion at all. I dont care if it was rebuilt or not. I havnt seen any subwoofers with paper surrounds and alluminum domes. Its a full range driver. You would be much better off using a actual woofer that is rated as a subwoofer and not designed for guitar use.
    No doubt, but it still cranks!

One day when I can afford a "real subwoofer" I'm sure I won't be nearly as happy with it!

Well with the money you put into that D130F ...did you say 225... you could have found a actual sub for that kind of money. Look at the JBL 2235H....it would work way better than that D130F in the aplication you are using it in.

Well with the money you put into that D130F ...did you say 225... you could have found a actual sub for that kind of money. Look at the JBL 2235H....it would work way better than that D130F in the aplication you are using it in.
    I'll check it out! Maybe someone will want to work a trade or something. In my own defense, I received, and reconed this speaker way before I knew any different about all the other JBL lines of drivers. I have a line on a pair of 2245Hs right now...man they look to be the hot ticket!

harvey gerst you rock

hey harvey, your speakers give my amps the best tone ive ever heard.
    you are the man.

tassos

Quote Originally Posted by crumb View Post
    hey harvey, your speakers give my amps the best tone ive ever heard.
    you are the man.

tassos
    Thank you; I'm still pretty proud of them.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    OPUS POCUS

RIP 2009
    Harvey - do you have any info on the D140F and its evolution, (differences), to the K140? I haven't been able to find any real info on the D140F - JBL doesn't list it in their T/S specs, and a friend with a pair of D140F's would like me to help him with a cabinet. If nothing else, is it safe to assume the D140F T/S parameters might be close to the K140, with the exception of power handling capacity?

Thanks for any illumination you can throw on the subject!

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Harvey - do you have any info on the D140F and its evolution, (differences), to the K140? I haven't been able to find any real info on the D140F - JBL doesn't list it in their T/S specs, and a friend with a pair of D140F's would like me to help him with a cabinet. If nothing else, is it safe to assume the D140F T/S parameters might be close to the K140, with the exception of power handling capacity?

Thanks for any illumination you can throw on the subject!

John
    I have two of the D140s and would also like the TS info on them.
    I played bass through them for many years.
    Late fifties and early sixties, I went through many different speakers until I switched to JBL, no more speaker troubles after that. I first used two D130Fs and then the D140s. Oh, I still use all of them.
    Thanks Harvey et al

I'm sure edgewound has some info on the exact TS parameters, but you might try using the TS stuff for a JBL 130A as a starting point.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtime View Post
    I have two of the D140s and would also like the TS info on them.
    I played bass through them for many years.
    You'll probably have to measure them yourself. Those older transducers vary (degaussing, sagging suspensions, etc.)

This place sells gadgets that make measuring TS parameters pretty easy - http://www.woofertester.com/

Thread Information