Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: D130 vs D130F and D131 vs D131F

Unhappy D130 vs D130F and D131 vs D131F

Can anyone tell me if D130Fs and D131Fs suffer severe high frequency loss as compared to D130s and D131s?

I seem to have lost a beautiful "chime" that I once got from 2-D131s, when I changed to 2-D131Fs(original cones) in a Fender guitar amp. Or am I imagining this?

And should I avoid D130Fs in my C36 cabs with 075s?

Thank you,
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by dpapazoni
    Can anyone tell me if D130Fs and D131Fs suffer severe high frequency loss as compared to D130s and D131s?

I seem to have lost a beautiful "chime" that I once got from 2-D131s, when I changed to 2-D131Fs(original cones) in a Fender guitar amp. Or am I imagining this?

And should I avoid D130Fs in my C36 cabs with 075s?

Thank you,
    Darrell
    No, there shouldn't be any HF loss between the D130 and the D130F, or between the D131 and the D120F. There was a VERY slight drop in efficiency, but that was about it. The D130F should work as well as a D130 in a C36 cabinet, but that's not what the D130F was designed for.

Actually, the D130 (or "F") would not be my first choice for a C36 cabinet - way too small a box for a 15" speaker. A C35 or C37 would be better.

...when I changed to 2-D131Fs (original cones) in a Fender guitar amp.
    You are certain they are "original" ?

Do know their history?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

D131Fs(original??)

I am not 100% certain that the D130Fs are original. I bought them used and the original owner said they were original(never reconed). Serial#1692 and the other Serial was adjacent(it is in a cabinet).

The back of cones reads 131-404. There is a red circular JBL stamp on the non-cork baffle gaskets(it appears like it is made of a cardboard type material)

Thank you,
    Darrell

D130 vs D130F and D131 vs D131F

Thank you for your response,

I have never done threads before. Please forgive my awkwardness.

"No, there shouldn't be any HF loss between the D130 and the D130F, or between the D131 and the D120F. There was a VERY slight drop in efficiency, but that was about it. "

I read in the Library that D130 had a usable frequency response up to 17,000 CPS and was thinking the D131 should follow suit. The only frequency-response I could find to compare it to was a K130 which reached 6,000Hz.

I may have another variable interfering. I had a Fender amp converted to the original Fender Tweed Super amp, that I got the "chime" from with the D131s.

I do get that chime with 1-Jensen H222 Coaxial 12" running with 1-D131F. Thank goodness, I can't hear the Jensen woofer part(not efficient enough). The horn crosses at 2k and is efficient enough.

I just got a beautiful pair of JBL LE12C-1. I will be trying these tonite with my 30 watt Fender amp. They chime beautifully here in my studio. Can I damage these speakers using these in this fashion? They aren't as efficient as D131F.

Thank you for enlightening me, Harvey. It is an honor.

"The D130F should work as well as a D130 in a C36 cabinet, but that's not what the D130F was designed for. "

I just lost a bid on a pair of C34s, 030 loaded on eBay, yesterday. 1 cabinet was JBL factory and the other appeared to be made from JBL Enclosure instructions. My internet let me down in last minute bidding.

"Actually, the D130 (or "F") would not be my first choice for a C36 cabinet - way too small a box for a 15" speaker. A C35 or C37 would be better.[/quote]"

Do you feel the C35 or C37 is the best choice for the 030 system?

Thank you very much Harvey,
    Darrell

Thank you for your response,

I have never done threads before. Please forgive my awkwardness.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey
    "No, there shouldn't be any HF loss between the D130 and the D130F, or between the D131 and the D120F. There was a VERY slight drop in efficiency, but that was about it. "
    I read in the Library that D130 had a usable frequency response up to 17,000 CPS and was thinking the D131 should follow suit. The only frequency-response I could find to compare it to was a K130 which reached 6,000Hz.

I may have another variable interfering. I had a Fender amp converted to the original Fender Tweed Super amp, that I got the "chime" from with the D131s.

I do get that chime with 1-Jensen H222 Coaxial 12" running with 1-D131F. Thank goodness, I can't hear the Jensen woofer part(not efficient enough). The horn crosses at 2k and is efficient enough.

I just got a beautiful pair of JBL LE12C-1. I will be trying these tonite with my 30 watt Fender amp. They chime beautifully here in my studio. Can I damage these speakers using these in this fashion? They aren't as efficient as D131F.

Thank you for enlightening me, Harvey. It is an honor.

"The D130F should work as well as a D130 in a C36 cabinet, but that's not what the D130F was designed for. "
    I just lost a bid on a pair of C34s, 030 loaded on eBay, yesterday. 1 cabinet was JBL factory and the other appeared to be made from JBL Enclosure instructions. My internet let me down in last minute bidding.

"Actually, the D130 (or "F") would not be my first choice for a C36 cabinet - way too small a box for a 15" speaker. A C35 or C37 would be better."
    Do you feel the C35 or C37 is the best choice for the 030 system?

Thank you very much Harvey,
    Darrell
    Well, I don't recall the D130 going out to 17 KHz, at least not flat; it went out okay to around 6 or 7 KHz, then started breaking up and falling off beyond that. That made it a good choice for guitars. Whatever frequency response we claimed for the D130 should also pretty much apply to the D130F.

Either the 35/37 reflex boxes or the 34/40 short horns would be a good choice for an 030 system.

Thank you for info,

I was wondering on your thoughts, also on:

"I just got a beautiful pair of JBL LE12C-1. I will be trying these tonite with my 30 watt Fender amp. They chime beautifully here in my studio. Can I damage these speakers using these in this fashion? They aren't as efficient as D131F."

May I call you "Hifi"? WOW!

Thanks,
    Darrell

Thank you for info,

I was wondering on your thoughts, also on:

"I just got a beautiful pair of JBL LE12C-1. I will be trying these tonite with my 30 watt Fender amp. They chime beautifully here in my studio. Can I damage these speakers using these in this fashion? They aren't as efficient as D131F."

May I call you "Hifi"? WOW!

Thanks,
    Darrell
    I don't know what an LE12C-1 is. If it's similar to the D123, that's my favorite guitar speaker. They should work fine with a 30 watt Fender.

yes, it is a D123A with a LE20 tweeter. Rated at 35watts continuos. I will be running two of these in an amp using 2-5881 Tungsols(which is less than 30 watts RMS.

Here is a frequency response graph from the literature for the 2130 pro driver, which is the same as the D131, as I understand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

yes, it is a D123A with a LE20 tweeter. Rated at 35watts continuos. I will be running two of these in an amp using 2-5881 Tungsols(which is less than 30 watts RMS.
    The D123 and the 123A a quite different drivers, the latter having an aquaplased cone.

The LE12C is like a 123A with an LE20 coaxially mounted.

David

D130 vs D130F and D131 vs D131F

Thank you so much, Harvey,

I need to get ready for my gig. It is EST time here.

An honor indeed, you were there in the "Golden Era"

Darrell

Thank you Dave,

The page that threw me off track was here:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...30-2/page1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    Here is a frequency response graph from the literature for the 2130 pro driver, which is the same as the D131, as I understand.

Yes, I installed a pair in a Fender 2-12 enclosure and I get a beautiful tone with a chime that I am seeking. I was hoping I wouldn't hurt them using close to 30 watts from a guitar amp.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    The D123 and the 123A a quite different drivers, the latter having an aquaplased cone.

The LE12C is like a 123A with an LE20 coaxially mounted.

David

Thank you Dave,

The page that threw me off track was here:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...30-2/page1.jpg
    Yeah, those frequency response claims without reference to a relative power level--that was the old days for JBL.

Thread Information