Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bryston 10B

Hello JBLnsince1959

I would like to make sure my previous comments are not misunderstood...I was talking about how someones physical brain is hard wired, nothing we can do about it, just how we are born ( in particular using the NLP model in this case)....with that information I can know exactly HOW someone will listen ( and with a little more information about other personal systems [ other models] I can tell you alot more)..

the completely subjective side which would include someones individual tastes and preferences is another matter.....
    I understood you. It's really both that does the trick. Neat stuff on the hardwire end. What is the NLP model??

Rob

I've never been a background music guy, but I do consider that a product of my personality, wiring and abilities. In other words, an accident of nature. I never thought there was any virtue associated with my preference.

When I am trying to accomplish something (build a computer, sort through information, spend too much time at LH) and put music on, I keep listening to the music and do a lousy job. This may be exacerbated by my inability to want to play music I'm not really, really in to. For me, it's like asking me to have sex with Renee Zellweger and type an expense report at the same time. I don't know about you guys, but I would mess up both activities, pretty much, and end up regreting the circumstances of both.

This is a great thread, very useful. Nothing like my ignorant rants, for sure!

On Topic, I am hoping a noted Down Under member will build a custom replacement for my 5235. At this point, I'm still hoping to avoid eq for now.

Clark in Peoria

Renee, if you're reading this, I'm willing to give it a try! Hey, that's the kind of guy I am...
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47
    I've never been a background music guy, but I do consider that a product of my personality, wiring and abilities. In other words, an accident of nature. I never thought there was any virtue associated with my preference.

When I am trying to accomplish something (build a computer, sort through information, spend too much time at LH) and put music on, I keep listening to the music and doing a lousy job. This may be exacerbated by my inability to want to play music I'm not really, really in to. For me, it's like asking me to have sex with Renee Zellweger and type an expense report at the same time. I don't know about you guys, but I would mess up both activities, pretty much, and end up regreting the circumstances of both.

well if the music is to loud I can't concentrate either, has be just the right volumn for me....sets the mood so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606
    I have music on all the time both at home and at work.
    Me, likewise.

It's the last thing to get packed when moving, and the first to be unpacked, even if to run while only sitting on crates until things are ready. Audio runs 100% of the time I am awake, and quite a bit of when I'm, sleeping! It's 4301B's in the shop and work office, the 4345's in the FR, 4406's flown in the BR, Monitor 1's flown in the master bath and on the patio, and Alesis Monitor One's in the studio/study. I'm pretty critical of the audio quality the whole time. TV is on about 15% of the time, by comparison.

The treasured time is when we're not gigging, nor otherwise too busy, and can really only then do "session critical listening", in front of the 4345 system.

But we are so far OT...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Hello JBLnsince1959

I understood you. It's really both that does the trick. Neat stuff on the hardwire end. What is the NLP model??

Rob
    Hi Rob:

I knew you did, I just didn't want other people to misread it..

It's a branch of NLP...If you're interested I can PM you the title of a book that's a good primer for what I discussed...let me know

while there are 3 major modes, there are 6 possible combinations when all three levels of conscienceness are combined with the three types of preceiving information ( visual, auditory, kinesthesic ). each one will display different "talents"...

sorry if we're too far off Bo...this is the last I'll say on this

take care
    rick

I have music on all the time both at home and at work.
    I guess I over stated the point... I was thinking in terms of whether or not some random forum member should consider buying a $2K Bryston 10B or not. If you do a fair amount of critical listening then it should be considered, but if you just enjoy music and are content with what you have then it is likely a waste of time and money.

When I said I rarely just have music playing I was thinking of my primary music system... I simply don't use it as a "background" music system... I do have systems in my shop (my work), my office, and my living room... they are all on filling the void... but that isn't listening. I also rarely drive without music playing... I like music, that is what this is ultimately all about isn't it?

That said, when I sit down to really listen, usually for a couple of hours at the end of the day, I really focus and enjoy listening to the nuance of the performance as well as the lyric and melody... sometimes I feel I can hear the studio or picture the venue... it is wonderful to get completely immersed in the musical experience.

Golden ears? That's nonsense... At different times in the process of measuring drivers I have had two different forum members over that were simply not able to hear sinusoidal frequencies above 9-10KHz... they both still heard the differences in crappy tweeters vs. good ones and they both still have a passion for audio. We may all listen with differing intensity and focus, we may have had different levels of experience, but we all hear a lot more than we realize... I think that's why we love this stuff. We aren't a forum dedicated to boom boxes or table radios.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    When I said I rarely just have music playing I was thinking of my primary music system... I simply don't use it as a "background" music system... I do have systems in my shop (my work), my office, and my living room... they are all on filling the void... but that isn't listening. I also rarely drive without music playing... I like music, that is what this is ultimately all about isn't it?

Widget
    that would make more sense as it would keep you focused or awake..( for others it would be a distraction. others could care less)

I was thinking in terms of whether or not some random forum member should consider buying a $2K Bryston 10B or not. If you do a fair amount of critical listening then it should be considered, but if you just enjoy music and are content with what you have then it is likely a waste of time and money.
    exactly my point about the ashly..it will do 99.9% of what the average guy needs

We may all listen with differing intensity and focus, we may have had different levels of experience, but we all hear a lot more than we realize

Widget
    exactly..well put

I think that's why we love this stuff. We aren't a forum dedicated to boom boxes or table radios.

Widget
    We're NOT???? Damn..what's next??? everyone against Bose??? ( Ok bad joke)

Bo,

When you did the review and re Eq'd the system what are your L Pad settings? Like this?

Incidentally, these L pads a very sloppy in that the position of the marker is no indication of the exect level. They are also unreliable . Both Ed and I found this out doing discrete calibration of L pads.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RIP 2009
    Bo - what was the signal source for those curves with SmaartLive? (Pulse, pink, since, etc.).

Are you going to be using SmaartLive to set up Jerry Day?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ian, dood
    When you did the review and re Eq'd the system what are your L Pad settings? Like this?
    No, they were all at "0", best one can interpolate on those.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Bo - what was the signal source for those curves with SmaartLive? (Pulse, pink, since, etc.).

Are you going to be using SmaartLive to set up Jerry Day?
    Yes, we used Pink Noise, but with the power of the Smaart Transfer Function one can use routine source material, just the same. So, Widget listened, I tweaked...

Yes, Smaart goes to every show. This Jerry Day we're bringing in L-Acoustic dV-DOSC line arrays/subs. Much of that is proprietary presets, but there is still a need to EQ for the amphitheatre. You comin' around??
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    You comin' around??
    'Plannin' on it. 'Hope to get there a little early - 'need any help?

John

Gates at 11 - you know the way...

Thanks for the generous offer!!, but we should have it covered. We do need appreciative ears, so you're in!! There's a great line-up again this year - a Django style cover band for opener. Should be very tasty...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information