Thread: Looking for Audio Rack/Stand Ideas

Looking for Audio Rack/Stand Ideas

It's time to build a rack/stand for my hifi gear. My priorities are: 1) Looks, 2) strength, 3) size.

This is to hold four Phase Linear rack mount power amps & preamps (about 100 lbs), and two mono-block tube amps (about 80 lbs). I'd like to design something that has a rack mount section as the legs/base and has a top shelf for the mono-blocks. It should be no more than 3" high. The rack mount equip is standard 19".

The number one criteria is good looks! I'm leaning towards aluminum box tubes for the vertical supports with two (top/bottom) veneered shelves. The rack equip would mount between the shelves, directly to the vertical box tubes. Colored tempered glass is an option for the shelves.

The intent is to showcase the mono-blocks, yet have a nice presentation for the Phase Linear gear. Thrown in somewhere would have to be the Paradigm X-30 crossover.

I'd really like to hear some ideas and see what others have done.

J.A.F.S.
    Budd Industries makes very cool racks and associated parts.
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

You sounded like you were describing the "Boltz" A/V tower:

http://www.boltz.com/productinfo.asp...&deptcode1=504

...check out their site. Depth on that model might be an issue, but the site might give you some ideas.

je

How's this? I made and sold these in kit form back in the 80s and they had a partial or full rack mount option with internal rails.

Two could be used side-by-side with opposing doors. Also were 44" high x 24" wide x 20 1/2" deep inside (48" high outside) AND with a back door that had a lock.

Don't still make these but I could design something that might work for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    40+ years of sacrifice...and for what???

That's a very nice cabinet and a very generous offer. Since my initial post I've spent quite a bit of time looking around the web and thinking about different approaches. I've settled on a design and will begin construction this week. It will have two 1.5" square verticle legs in the front and a sinlge 8" verticle leg in the back. All sides will be open. The top will be a piece of smoked black plate glass 22" W x 20" D. The two front legs will be routered for the rack mount gear to stack vertically and the mono-blocks will sit on the top (plate glass). I'll fabricate two metal braces (top/bottom) that will tie the three legs together. It should be functional and nice looking. I bought a Bubinga wood board. It is very dense, dark red, and part of the Rose wood family.

Don

"The top will be a piece of smoked black plate glass 22" W x 20" D."

Use tempered glass - any glass shop can get that for you. I have sources for structural metal pieces - think I'll try coming up with something contemporary like that Boltz rack only less $$$! Been designing audio/electronics furniture for years.

This is my design drawing:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What will total weight of all components be? Also, heaviest should be at bottom; lightest at top.

Will you have easy/ready access to rear of rack?

Have you taken into consideration total heat output/ventilation/air flow of all?

Open installations can be notorius dust gatherers .

The sides and back are open - easy access. And as you mentioned, dust will be an issue. However, ventilation will be great.

The PL 400s must weigh about 40 -50 lbs each so I'll put them at the bottom. That will put about 80 + lbs on the bottom of the rack. Should provide a good anchor. The mono-blocks weight about 80 lbs for the pair. Combined the preamps and x-over must wieght about 25 lbs. Stability should not be an issue. If it is, I will add a horizontal foot to the single rear leg.

I'll have a somewhat hidden metal brace under the tempered glass top to better distribute support across the area since it's about 4 sq ft. The mono-blocks are quite heavy (monster transformers) and only have a 10"x10" footprint.

Still haven't figured out how to attach the glass top so that it will be secure, yet removable.

Used Racks

Back in the last 2 decades, a decent deal could be made by going to military auctions where electronics gear was sold. One could have routinely a $1000 rack for less than $50 as the base of the design, and then drop $20 to $200 on refurbishing the rack to your particular requirements.

Many of them has separate subassemblies including ducting, squirrel cage fans, grounding, bonding, and power supplies.

There may not be as many of them available after all the mainframes have switched to lessor sized PC components, but it might be worth a shot to get some high end rack gear with good hardware at a fraction of the cost, then drop $200 on hardwood finishing of the structure.

I shortly am planning on offering a/some contemporary open rack design/designs and at pretty reasonable prices.

Stay tooned!

Thread Information