Thread: New models from JBL

New models from JBL

Hi,
    I live in England and have used JBL speakers since 1976. Currently I am driving a pair of 1980 L150s with a McIntosh MC252.
    These speakers are in a desperate need of a rebuild as I'm sure you guys can imagine. I am not sure wether it is worth the time, effort and difficulty (some parts no longer available!) or wether I should get some new speakers.
    At the moment the only choice of model over here is either E100 or Array 1400. The Arrays will be about $20 000 if they are costing $12 500 in the States. This is too much for my bank, so its either fix the 150s or get the E100s (and hope that I won't blow them up).
    Is there any news from JBL about any new models this year in the 300W range? Something comparable to the 150s would be ideal. The K2 series are the perfect ones I suspect, but they will be about the price of a small apartment over here!

RIP 2009
    What exactly is wrong with your L150's? If it's just rotted foam surrounds, those can be replaced. If other parts, most of the drivers come up fairly regularly on eBay.

John

I'd agree with Johnaec that keeping the L-150s is possible. I'd think that the closest equivalent in the modern JBL line will be the upcoming TL260. I don't think that we know what the cost of these will be yet.

Thanks guys,
    Yes it looks like a good idea to get them fixed!
    There is some degree of oxidation in the level adjusting knobs by the sound they make when turning. Anyone have any tips on removing this?

Also, I might try running Tannoy supertweeters with these speakers to get better soundstaging/imaging. Anybody got any views on this?

Originally written by CLIFF A.

There is some degree of oxidation in the level adjusting knobs by the sound they make when turning. Anyone have any tips on removing this?
    Instead of replaceing them, I cleaned out the pots on a set of L100s with Caig Deoxit and they were as good as or better than a set of pots I replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha
    Originally written by CLIFF A.

Instead of replaceing them, I cleaned out the pots on a set of L100s with Caig Deoxit and they were as good as or better than a set of pots I replaced.
    Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Thread Information