Thread: JBL 2235H A Problem Driver???

jbl

JBL 2235H A Problem Driver???

Hi all,
    Been considering the purchase of the 2235. I contacted JBL and asked the tech if the 2235 would be a good choice in the 4507 cabinets I'm using with my 2225H. I like the sound I get with the setup I have (4671), but from all I've read here, the praise has gone to the 2235. Incidently, the 2235's I've got down to $315 each. Still seems high.
    Anyway, the tech at JBL suggested I stick with the 2225 saying that there would be a 4dB loss with the '35 and that the few extra Hz in the low end wasn't that big of a deal in that sized cabinet (5 cubic feet). I always maintained the same view. In a larger cabinet, the 2235 can't be beat.
    I would like to have the 2235 since JBL has gone away from the 4" to the 3" VC. As you known, the VC is the heart of the driver and a change in size is, to me at least, a major departure.
    I read on another thread, it was quoted in passing by a JBL tech, that the 2235 is "A problem woofer." What problems have any of you encountered aside from the surround issue?
    Your opinions are welcome.
    TIA.

Ron

2235H is NOT a "problem" driver.

Yes, you lose some sensitivity compared to 2225H, but that's in exchange for substantial extended bass, which 2225H cannot provide (unless you recone it to 2235H, of course.)

2235H in 4507 requires retuning the box for extended bass. Not a big deal to close one (~34 Hz) or two (~28 Hz) of the ports with plumbers' test plugs to accomplish this.

I don't know why you're suggesting that 2235H requires a bigger box, either. It likes 5 cuft. just fine. Think 4430....

jbl
    Hi Zilch,
    I know what you're saying, but the JBL tech suggested that the 2235 wasn't that much of an advantage "in that box" over the 2225, without any influence from me. I was as surprised as you. He went on to state that the "few extra Hz in the low end was at 4dB loss in efficiency. Not worth it."
    I read in an eariler post, I'll have to look up which one, that JBL tech stated that the 2235 had problems. I know about the surround, but that's an issue for other models as wells as the '35.
    Thank you for your earlier work comparing the '25 & '35 in the 4507. I guess the bug hits me once in a while.
    The 2235 went up from $329 in Feb., 2006 to $359 today.

Ron

jbl
    Zilch,
    I guess what he's trying to say is that the overall sound would change. The bass would be lower, but the dynamic range would be reduced. That makes sense to me too and has always been the deciding factor. With a Marantz 300DC @ 150 WPC, that may not matter.

Ron

Thread Information