Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any comment for olympus S7 & altec model 19

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBEE
    If you like the L100's you are going to do back flips over the Olympus.

I own both.
    You have Olympus S7, Bee? 'Cause it's different. A special sort of Olympus.

It is LE15(A) in a closed 6 cuft. box (no passive radiator).

It has usable bass (-10 dB) down to 34.21 Hz.

BUT, it'll only take 2.91 watts at that frequency, developing 100.9 dB max.

At full rated 100 watts, it runs outta gas (cone displacement) at 60 Hz.

Its bass voicing is about as far from an L100 as I might conceive.

I'd consider S7 a classical music speaker; gotta fix the VHF for jazz.

Compare to L100 (4311) low frequency, bottom. S7 bass response falls off continuously from 200 Hz down.

There's nothing inherently "bad" or "wrong" about that; it's very different from L100 is all....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    You have Olympus S7, Bee? 'Cause it's different.

BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA .......music speaker:

Compare to L100 (4311) response below 300 Hz, bottom.

GAWD that kinda jabber is SOOOOOOO boring!!!

All I know is my L-100s sound pretty kick ass, my Olympus sound KICK-FUCKING-ASS, and my Paragon is pretty fucking good with tubes.

Keep your graphs to yourself. I am only interested in REAL TIME listening
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Keep your graphs to yourself. I am only interested in REAL TIME listening
    Uhmmm, Bee,

DO YOU HAVE S7 OLYMPUS?

['Cause it's THAT model is the subject of this discussion, I do believe.... ]

Uhmmm, Bee,

DO YOU HAVE S7 OLYMPUS?

['Cause it's THAT model is the subject of this discussion, I do believe.... ]
    YES, I have S7's and your graphs are FUCKING BORING!!!!!

Dont you get it man!

Its all about what you HEAR!

What you FEEL!

NOT what you see on some boring and worthless graph.

If thats how you grade speakers then I feel sorry for you.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

YES, I have S7's and your graphs are FUCKING BORING!!!!!
    So, just one 15" woofer in each and NO passive radiators then, like mine, below?

[I just want to be certain we're listening to the same speakers.... ]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As "Boring" as they may be, the graphs tell some real truths about the speakers we know and love.
    I have no doubt the S7 is a nice speaker and it is apparent Superbee likes his.
    I also have no doubt the S7 is not up to a shootout against a model 19 which is the subject of this thread.
    If I had a pair of S7s that I really liked and planned to keep I would be taking some of this info and doing some upgrading to see how much better they could sound rather then against the facts.
    As a matter of fact, if there was info to upgade and make my 19s sound a bit better, I would probably be looking into that as well.

In this regard, it makes absolutely no sense to shoot the messenger.

Fumi, if you are still here and the 19s are cheaper, will fit your room and are in nice shape I think you would be foolish to pass them up.
    Take a good listen to both and let your ears do the final decission but the facts are right here and your question has been answered!

Gary

What a stupid comment Gary!

How could you say the Olympus "S7 is not up to a shootout against a model 19" since you also say "No offense to the Olympus speakers because I have never heard them"

I have owned my set of Olympus for 16 years. I have heard 3 other sets of Olympus (Both S7 and S7R) and 2 sets of Sovereigns.

I have heard several sets of Altecs (NOT the 19 though) Just recently a VOTT. And while I thought those were OK my personal preference is toward the JBL. and that's ALL I told the guy. (Write what you know, BUY what you know)

Now, Post all the boring graphs you want and talk till your blue in the face about "Wave drop off" and "Mid range peaks" but I am going to go have a drink, fire up my 75s, and blast some Buddy Holly.

Perhaps its the room, Maybe its where the speakers are placed, Perhaps its the Mcintosh tube power, Or I might just have got lucky with the speaker fairies and have a "Blessed" set but I have a pretty kick ass sounding rig and I would recommend it to ANYONE!
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

What a stupid comment Gary!

Some very knowledgable individuals have chimed in here supporting exactly what I am saying.

What is "stupid" is allowing any of this to get your fingers typing from the gutter and useing language that is better left at the bar room or making personal assaults on individuals who are entitled to their own opinions and to voice them here.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by garyl

Some very knowledgable individuals have chimed in here supporting exactly what I am saying.

What is "stupid" is allowing any of this to get your fingers typing from the gutter and useing language that is better left at the bar room or making personal assaults on individuals who are entitled to their own opinions and to voice them here.

Gary

Well, Perhaps you could enlighten us to the differences between a HEMI Road Runner and a HEMI Cudda since you have neither owned or driven either?
    As far as the "Bar Room" is concerned I have spent my life in bars, Where those that know, know. And those that don't know, usually talk.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Well, Perhaps you could enlighten us to the differences between a HEMI Road Runner and a HEMI Cudda since you have neither owned or driven either?
    As far as the "Bar Room" is concerned I have spent my life in bars, Where those that know, know. And those that don't know, usually talk.
    Perhaps you should lift your rear off that bar stool a bit higher so we can hear you speak!
    You don't know me or what I have owned or driven but I have heard just about enough from you and it is beginning to stink up the thread.

"And those that don't know, usually talk"

Gary

Steve Gonzales

?....

So let me get this straight. Neither has personal experience with the other's recommended speakers, i.e, one hasn't heard the M19's and the other the S7's? We are all passionate about our JBL/Altec's and it's easy to be offended. I think that fumi has a choice to make with the information given here, with his own ears. Please Fellas, let's have peace here. There has been enough negative energy around here recently for a lifetime. Let cooler heads prevail and regroup. Regards to all, Steve G.

We had this same discussion several months ago, actually:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=9493.

What Superbee does not yet appreciate is that his opinion regarding S7 is largely irrelevant to any discussion of comparative merits. Thus, he reiterates his opinion four times in this thread in what he believes to be counterpoint to the several rational and objective arguments posed here. It's simple non sequitur, is what.

In ultimate exasperation, Bee defends his opinion with expetives, slamming the purveyors of fact and, in the course, also revealing his contempt for the truth he doesn't care to understand.

In the spirt of these forums, I believe anyone would be hard pressed to find me ever myself having said anything negative about any JBL product discussed here. Instead, I intentionally strive to restrict my posting perspective to suggesting how even the worst of them might be improved in light of my own knowledge of what they are.

For this thread, however, I'm going to make an exception and express my actual opinion as opposite to Superbee's inane insistency here:

By any objective standard of contemporary loudspeaker system performance evaluation, which includes me hearing and "feeling" them in comparison to many others, taken overall, Olympus S7's REALLY, REALLY SUCK!

I trust this will in no way diminish Superbee's (or anyone else's) enjoyment of them, of course....

What Superbee does not yet appreciate is that his opinion regarding S7 is largely irrelevant to any discussion of comparative merits. Thus, he reiterates his opinion four times in this thread in what he believes to be counterpoint to the several rational and objective arguments posed here. It's simple non sequitur, is what.

In ultimate exasperation, Bee defends his opinion with expetives, slamming the purveyors of fact and, in the course, also revealing his contempt for the truth he doesn't understand.

In the spirt of these forums, I believe anyone would be hard pressed to find me ever myself having said anything negative about any JBL product discussed here. Instead, I intentionally strive to restrict my posting perspective to suggesting how even the worst of them might be improved in light of my own knowledge of what they are.

For this thread, however, I'm going to make an exception and express my opinion as opposition to Superbee's inane insistency:

By any objective standard of contemporary loudspeaker system performance evaluation, which includes me hearing and "feeling" them in comparison to many others, taken overall, Olympus S7's REALLY, REALLY SUCK!

I trust this will in no way diminish Superbee's (or anyone else's) enjoyment of them, of course....
    Nice try Zilchy...where's Giskard when you need him?

What Superbee does not yet appreciate ...BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA............................I trust this will in no way diminish Superbee's (or anyone else's) enjoyment of them, of course....

No, Again Zilch you miss the point ENTIRELY!

What I said was I recommend the Olympus, Because I OWN a set. I said NOTHING against the 19 as I have never heard that specific model.

What pissed me off was some idiot slamming the Olympus whilst 3 or 4 posts back claiming he had NEVER heard one.

HOW STUPID IS THAT!

That's like saying "I think Aston Martins are crappy cars compared to a Chevy" when I have NEVER even ridden in an Aston Martin.

You folks need to settle down about your "Beloved" opinions.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

I have no doubt the S7 is a nice speaker and it is apparent Superbee likes his.
    I also have no doubt the S7 is not up to a shootout against a model 19 which is the subject of this thread.
    If this is what you are refering to as "Slamming the S7" and what pissed you off then you need to have a few more drinks.
    Nothing here should "Piss any one off" unless it becomes personal like when you get a case of potty mouth or refer to others as idiots.
    Actually, it does not have that affect on me because I find it rather entertaining.

Let me try this again. I would love to hear a set of S7s so I could decide for myself if they suck. I have the 19s and have never heard anyone say they were anything but a great speaker.

AND, I did own a 1969 HEMI GTX bought brand new off the showroom floor at Marl Motors, Ellenville, NY and other then being a fast car IT SUCKED! But I do wish I still had it.

Gary

Thread Information