Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any comment for olympus S7 & altec model 19

any comment for olympus S7 & altec model 19

hi! i have a chance to get olympus S7 & altec model 19, any comment for these? thanks for help.

I am not at all familiar with the Olympus.
    The Altec 19s are a wonderful speaker but keep in mind they are rather large. Many here love the horns and big box sound of the 19s. Think they are 39" H X 30" W X 24" D.
    If you opt to go for the others because they are more in your size range, be sure to let us know here what the deal is so another could pick them up.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by fumi
    hi! i have a chance to get olympus S7 & altec model 19, any comment for these? thanks for help.

Buy the Olympus, Get a good Mcintosh tube amp, Prepare to rock out!

IMHO

The Olympus is one of the most perfect Rock & Roll speakers there is.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Hey Fumi, Like I said, I don't know the olympus but Superbee apparently holds them in high regard.
    19s are by no means Slouches when it comes to rocking the house.

Send me a PM with the info on the 19s if you jump the Olympus's.

Thanks

Gary

thanks all! i think i will get the Olympus S7, because the price offer is almost same. (Model 19's price is a bit lower than the Olympus),
    both is not in opt, i found out in the shop.
    i heard ones of the MODEL 19, still never heard the Olympus yet.

i like Jazz & Vocal. i am using the Duplex, Marantz 8b & Mcintosh C20.

otherwise, any Bros know that the S7 is big different with S8R?
    thank again!!

thank again!!
    S8R adds the UHF driver, the 4" diaphragm midrange driver on a very short horn, hardly more than a throat adapter, really, playing virtually as a direct radiator, and a passive radiator to tune the bass response.

That suggests reasonable upgrades to Olympus S7 which will improve them substantially:

1) Add UHF driver, the ring radiator of your choice, using 3105 (N7000 or N8000) crossover. Without this, S7 lacks VHF, and what little is there beams vertically. The fretwork grill creates UHF diffusion/diffraction problems, but it was good enough for S8R, and it certainly defines the aesthetic.

2) Change out the LX5 to 3110 (800 Hz). The H91 (2307) horn plays poorly down at LX5's 500 Hz, and the longer horn won't fit in the available cabinet depth.

3) Other stuff later, like an improved woofer and porting the box to tune the bass, if desired.

4) There's better options, but only if you're willing to get radical with them.

Everybody's gonna yell at me now....

thanks all! i think i will get the Olympus S7, because the price offer is almost same. (Model 19's price is a bit lower than the Olympus),
    both is not in opt, i found out in the shop.
    i heard ones of the MODEL 19, still never heard the Olympus yet.

i like Jazz & Vocal. i am using the Duplex, Marantz 8b & Mcintosh C20.

thank again!!
    Your gonna LOVE the Olympus with the Marantz/Mcintosh rig. I wouldnt change a thing.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Funny thing about opinions is everybody has them.

No offense to the Olympus speakers because I have never heard them.

I have heard many 19s and know alot of friends who either have them or LUST for them and I have NEVER, not even once, heard anyone say they needed to do any sort of upgrading to make them sound better.

I know some of you here feel that if it is not JBL then it is not worth hooking up but you are quite wrong.

If I had to update and upgrade an expensive speaker to make it sound right I think I would just buy the 19s and be very happy.

Gary

Give us details!

How much for the Olympus and the Model 19's?

I have a pair of Altec 846Us, and Model 19s are essentially the same - so if I were you, I would grab the Model 19's in a heartbeat!

Or, depending on price...let us know the prices.

Thanks!

No worries, we are not going to get them before you do.

Quote Originally Posted by garyl
    If I had to update and upgrade an expensive speaker to make it sound right I think I would just buy the 19s and be very happy.
    I've never had or heard Model 19's, so I can't say whether or not they might benefit from upgrades as well. I do like the cabinet design.

Olympus, I have two pair of S7 right now, one modded and one I'm considering modding, and a pair of upgraded (075) Sovereign S7Rs. I recently sold two pair of Olympus S7Rs through these forums, and long ago (10 years) traded two additional pair of Olympus S8Rs to Hal Cox for a Paragon. I kinda know what they are and how they sound....

Steve Gonzales

M19 vs. S7

Quote Originally Posted by garyl
    Funny thing about opinions is everybody has them.

No offense to the Olympus speakers because I have never heard them.

I have heard many 19s and know alot of friends who either have them or LUST for them and I have NEVER, not even once, heard anyone say they needed to do any sort of upgrading to make them sound better.

I know some of you here feel that if it is not JBL then it is not worth hooking up but you are quite wrong.

Gary
    I would have to agree with you here Gary. Head to head, in stock configuration, the Model 19 will walk all over a stock S7 system IMHO. As Zilch eluded to, the LE85/H91/L91 combo doesn't perform well crossed over that low. It really works better about 1.2K or so. The 802-8G/811B is light years ahead in performance in stock form. The 416-8B/C leaves little to desire in LF/MB performance too. I've listened to both speakers extensively and to my ears, give me the 19's any day!. Zilch, I think your performance upgrade suggestions are just the ticket, and I for one, will do no yelling because you suggested them, you are right. Fumi, you will have to do a side by side in stock configuration and then decide if you want to get into modding the JBL's further, should you decide to buy them. The Mighty Model 19's were, and still are, one of the best vintage 2-ways you could hope to own. -S.G.

Don't get me wrong Zilch, I don't disagree with you at all.

I have owned 3 pairs of 19s and a few pairs of Velencias and love them all.

I disagree completely that 19s and Velencias are anywhere near the same speaker. You can do an A/B test right here to prove that.

I too would be very interested to hear some price numbers of the two choices. I have seen real nice 19s go for $2,000 on ebay but I don't follow the JBL offerings----------YET!

thanks all comments!!
    both speakers in Asia! the price more higher than buy in USA.(i think close to 50% up if compare with USA )

i am not going to mod anything , because i don't know how to do it.
    i got the Duplex & L100, i feel L100 more punch & musical in some knid of music, the Duplex is really good for Jazz, but the bass is weak that i think.

anyway, after i make the decision, i will post the photo let Bros have a look!!
    thanks!! happylistening.

thanks all comments!!
    both speakers in Asia! the price more higher than buy in USA.(i think close to 50% up if compare with USA )

i am not going to mod anything , because i don't know how to do it.
    i got the Duplex & L100, i feel L100 more punch & musical in some knid of music, the Duplex is really good for Jazz, but the bass is weak that i think.

anyway, after i make the decision, i will post the photo let Bros have a look!!
    thanks!! happylistening.
    If you like the L100's you are going to do back flips over the Olympus.

I own both.
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

prices.

would love to know the prices in asia.

just curious.

thanks.

Thread Information