Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The McRitchie Project speaker....

2123H

I have a new pair of 2123H's that could be used.

Lets get the group organized and get this started.

Where is everyone located?

Perhaps a conference call could be setup? Or we could use Roger Wilco and talk live to each other over the web. This would be cheaper?

Bo, as per Don's wishes, how would you like to take on the documentation of this endeavor?

Widget, do you have time to take on the construction? I know there are others who share the talent as well.

As far as design, lets have some volunteers.

Mike has expressed interest in the accounting.

Download and install this:

http://rogerwilco.gamespy.com/produc...s/rwdload.html

I am at ip address 66.74.0.173:3782/JBL

Lets try to use this so we can all chat live. If you are running a firewall, this may not work without adjusting your settings.

If this does not work we could try MIRC and setup a JBL chat room.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Pachkowsky; 11-25-2003 at 10:57 AM.

I suggest that we follow Dons desired dream system and use the 2235 drivers that he is partial to.As I stated I can donate two (is this enough or do we need four?) 2225 frames that will be reconed with 2235H JBL kits.I would really like to see the original 2235 frames used but I just don"t have any at all,sorry Don.I like Widgets 4 way design using that 2397 flair.I also agree with Giskard to offset the mid driver for the reasons he states.Cool , now we got a left,right pair happening.Lets decide on the rest of the necessary componets and I will do some more "dumpster diving" and see what else I can contribute from my immense pile "o" crap.My question is , Are we designing JBLs latest and greatest series "THE McRITCHIE HERITAGE SERIES"Keep the ideas flowing,Oldmics Don"t forget about the grill cloth-What are we going to cover this with if it is to be grilled at all?See my other post about grill cloth
    Last edited by Oldmics; 11-25-2003 at 10:37 AM.

We can use chat, or leave the dialogue on here for all to see; either way.

Oldmics, since you are donating the frames, I'll pay to have them reconed. How do we accomplish that? Someone mentioned Orange County..................

Everyone cool with 2235 and 2405? What else can we incorporate?

Don must speak, again...

...and choose.

With all the great advice/experiences here, the best way to get started is for Don to:

1) choose the transducer assemblage
    2) choose the cabinet configuration (i.e., vertical like the 4345, or wider aspect ratio like the 4355) - afterall, he has to live with them.
    3) twin 2235's?
    4) four-way?

He should guide on these, and then us JBL Elves can go to work. Then, we are hitting escape velocity...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikebake
    [B]We can use chat, or leave the dialogue on here for all to see; either way.

The only problem I see with the above, it will be very time consuming to get this off the ground. With a live chat, much would be accomplished in a very short time.

Once the committee is setup, this forum would work fine.

I have setup a chat room called JBL on mirc. Here is the server I am using. The following is an EfNet server.

irc.arcti.ca

Its running now.

The horns that I was hinting at while virtually identical sounding to the 2397s are the Westlake version. (They are just prettier IMHO.)

For those that may have missed them, here is a photo.

Bo, I think you are right about the 2245 being a bit more "ultimate", but Don did mention a need for limited maximum SPL. I think he will be pleased with a pair of 2235s and their somewhat less significant demand on interior real-estate.

Giskard, I threw out that design as a catalyst for discussion. If we can improve upon it, and I am sure that is possible, please have at it.

This might be a good time to see if this is a direction that Don would like to go. If it is maybe we could put this piece of the puzzle into Mike's matrix.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don

I see lots of horn possiblities but what do you like?? They are all a little different. You have a preference?? If you do don't be shy With 2235 2123 2405 a jump to 4344 is not out of the question. But is that what you want?? Large format CD, small OK??

You seem to have the drivers well on the way. I will help with the material cost of the cabinets.

Mike I can send a donation up to your Pay Pal account??

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 11-25-2003 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks, Giskard.

I think Rob is right though and we should find out what Don thinks.

Hi Guys,Sorry if I was not clear in my communication about the driver donation.I have been reconing for YEARS and have salvaged a great number of cone kits that customers were disposing of.These would include the 2235 cone kits that I propose to use for this donation.Now these salvaged cone kits are in need of refoaming and I would also replace the spider assembly.They are otherwise perfect.Not out of round and electrically in perfect shape.Not new cone kits mind you but definatly parts that I would not hesitate to use for my applications.Plus the pics would show the refoaming and respidering procedure that I would preform.Its a no cost situation for me and I have a boatload of frames to use.I would just check the gauss on the frames and make sure that the best frames are to be used.I have 4 of the donor kits availiable if Don wants to double up on the sub info.Again I would like to use 2235 frames but I "no gots". So you get 2 or 4 finished reconed drivers donated to the project.Best regards,Oldmics

Hmmm....I have a pair of 2245H baskets that I *was* thinking of using but.....

A single 18 would be a smaller cabinet than a pair of 15's ( and much less baffle area )

4345 is a real good point to start from...4355 variants needed a lot of EQ.

I definitely would use the 2012H rather than the 2202/2022 due to size and any 2441's should be remagnetized and use new diaphrams ( D16R2441 ) I have a stash of 2450SL drivers ( aquaplas coated 2445 diaphram in a Nd 2451 driver ) and a few NOS 2450J.

The be / Nd 4344 combo would be interesting but that 3" driver is hard to find in this country and I cannot order it without a real part number ( giskard?? ) *not* the model number...

sub

I keep hearing the double 2235 idea; what about a single?? (although Oldmics has offered four!!!!!)
    Guess I'll try the chat thing now..................haven't messed with it before........what am I doing, downloading a client?? Going to a website first????
    Duh?!

Ken

Roger Wilco is a good idea. Want to set-up a time later when we are all home from work and can participate??

Rob

Hey mike - clue me in on this "download" - I am just a picture / email kinda guy too...

Originally posted by Robh3606
    Ken

Roger Wilco is a good idea. Want to set-up a time later when we are all home from work and can participate??

Rob
    In retrospect, MIRC would probably be better. The conversations could be be saved as part of the archive for the project.

download MIRC at the following:

http://www.mirc.com/get.html

Install and setup to go to this Efnet Server.

irc.arcti.ca

type /join #JBL

If you have not used IRC before you should be able to figure it out.

Ken

I found the client and downloaded it, haven't hooked up on the right server yet; I'm actually having to work some today too.............!!!!! I'll let you know, or someone else can chime in, too.

Thread Information