Hi

Wow, a guy goes away for a bit - to work - and all this breaks out . ( I'm also going into 2 days of R&R blackout time so I better speak now )

I haven't read all the posts but it seems that 2235s & 2405s are now a given . If for financial resons ths project gets knocked back to a 2-way system I can contribute a pair of pristine Altec 416-8C . I wanted to match these to a JBL 2430 driver on a 60° x 30° horn - to make an update on a Model 19 - but that project is so far away I would rather realize it's execution for Don - if its of any use.

(A) Can I suggest that the system be divided into separate top & bottom boxes - ( like a upsized / split 250Ti ) There are numerous advantages to this approach.

(i) Cost of shipping
(ii) Easier ( cheaper ) to fix mistakes in construction & execution of such
(iii) More manageable parts - as a size for the constructor .
(iv) Easier on the back of the actual owner for room placements , etc.
(v) Added flexibility for future upgrades / changes

(B) I was going to suggest raising monies & buying the "Performance Series" PC600 parts and making MTM "top boxes" sitting on top of separate le14s that I would donate . That seems to be out - which is fine - if the room is actually there for 15" woofers.

(C) I like subwoofs suggestion of the 2012 deep-gapped mids . They do offer sonic advantages in resolution . Matched with the neodym 2230 drivers on an unknown horn, these would represent some of JBLs current crop of Hi-End products .
I prefer bigger 2450SL sized drivers myself, after "taming" and tweaking that size of diaphragmed driver, there's no going back - but they may be beyond the financial reach of this project.. Havng said that I can easily contribute a pair a excess inventory 2426 drivers if Don doesn't mind the smaller diaphragmed driver size.

(D) Horn pattern should be matched to the listening environment to maximize the acoustic interface of the system. So, Don need to give us some info on room dimensions.

(E) I'm game to design & build some external crossovers, that will be charge- coupled and accessible to future upgrades of capacitor types - should Don decide to become a DIYer cap type of guy . Obviously , doing this long distance without the actual components present is tough.
Luckily , I'm an expatriate "flat-lander" from the Canadian prairies - meaning - in certain seasons I'm able to make "house-calls" to Winnipeg.

(F) Final suggestion : fix a shipping date & work backwords from that.
Having a timeline to work to is a necessary discipline that will also help "weed=out" a lot of "wishfull thinking . I vote for May 2004 - just before planting season on the prairies .

I'm toast & must sign off now . Forgive the spelling mistakes / & other errors

( Bo - Val D'Or/Rouan ??? Wow, you really are a geologist !!! )

Earl K