Thread: Studio monitor

Studio monitor

Hey folks, I have been searching the net high and low looking for info on JBL Studio Monitors. I grew up listening to my dad's Decade 36's and just love the JBL sound. I own some L100S's and a pair of N26II's. So I figured I would stick to JBL for my Studio Monitors. (I run a moblie studio.) I can find nothing but conflicting statements regarding the 4310/4311/L100 etc. I went ahead and bought a pair of L100s off ebay figuring if I didn't like them I could easily sell them. But then I found this forum and was wondering what everyone's take on the vintage JBL monitors were. I guess more than anything I'm looking for a flat, even response. Any opinoins are welcome. Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The 4310/4311/L100 all have a very distinctive sound character. Punchy, dynamic, forward are just a few adjectives commonly used to describe them. Many like and seek out that sound character, however, they were never designed to be accurate. The 4310 (the originator of the series) was specifically designed to mimic the Altec 604 which was the industry standard of the day. The 604 had very well known deviations from a flat response, specifically; a peaked midrange, rolled off high end and restricted deep bass response. There are marketing reasons why a speaker would be specifically designed to match a given standard rather than targeting absolute accuracy that is explained here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=3747

This doesn't mean that you can't make good recordings on such a monitor, since thousands of recordings have been made using these very speakers. However, you have to know what you are working with and understand their limitations. Today, absolute accuracy is a much more sought after goal in monitor design. To that end, the current JBL LSR series of monitors will beat any of their predecessors in measurable accuracy. If you are looking strictly for vintage monitors, I would look at the 4400 series that replaced the 4300s in the mid 80s. They are much more neutral, but still not up to the level of the current LSRs.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Of course Mr McRitchie is right on ,right down the line . If you want a "hifi" monitor with absolutely flat response use lsr6332 , since you already have l100? keep them and use both ! The contrasts you find may be enlightening.

You may want a lowest common denominator speaker for judging what your material sounds like on average speakers . In the past the auratone and the yamaha ns10 were used but I don't know why you couldn't use speakers that you might find in goodwill or the salvation army or something , seriously !

You've got great input here, already. The LSR series does really well, for sure.

Me? I'm very fond of the 43xx series - in-particular the 4301B for smaller format, and the 4313B's for "bookshelf" sized format. The former is a stunner everywhere I use them (on the mix desk, hanging in the shop and behind me at my dayjob ); the latter I've used both on the floor and have flown a pair at a mix-down studio on Denman Island, Canada. These 10's have better bass response than the 4310/4311/4312 (and L100 for sure... ) and got consistently solid reviews from an erstwhile member who's sampled nearly everything JBL...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Starting in the middle and working your way out I think El Cheapo , lsr 6332, l100 ( or whatever you have) as "nearfields" . I cannot overlook the 4301 , I've never heard it but it is regarded as a reference by many and was particularly well regarded when it was introduced .

Become one with all things JBL ! If there are no fresh apples in the barrel go back to the tree ! http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/.../technical.htm

It might do to have some "defaults " to listen to thru your rig and tell us how YOU think they sound .
    here are some possible candidates
    pink floyd : dark side
    ABBA : gold (NOT THE REMASTERS WHICH ARE HIGHLY COMPRESSED !)
    Steely Dan : hey nineteen in particular this tune can test your whole rig .It should be absolutely quiet . One of my buddies who use to work at groove tubes with drew daniels used this for a test tune while employed there .
    rolling stones : emotional rescue in particular

Go "hear", for that...

The What's Playing Now thread...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Wow thats a lot of info to digest so quickly. Thanks so much. I have read some vague ramblings about changing out the crossovers and switching out the tweeters to make the Centurys more even. Any truth to that?

Nobody's undertaken a rational or considered approach to "fixing" L100's that I'm aware of.

Real studio monitors are often cheaper, anyway, if that's what's desired.

Here's a consumer equivalent of 4301 control monitor:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Another sleeper here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L20T-Bookshe...QQcmdZViewItem

Check these forums for the scoop on those....

I am definatly looking for monitors. I was mixing with a pair of Alesis monitor one's and I felt they were quite unreliable in the highs and barely had any low end.

RIP 2009
    And a version of 4313's here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=010

I you want small speakers, (8" 2-ways), 4408 and 4408A's are hard to beat.

John

David V. Webber
    Quote Originally Posted by ldizac View Post
    Hey folks, I have been searching the net high and low looking for info on JBL Studio Monitors. I grew up listening to my dad's Decade 36's and just love the JBL sound. I own some L100S's and a pair of N26II's. So I figured I would stick to JBL for my Studio Monitors. (I run a moblie studio.) I can find nothing but conflicting statements regarding the 4310/4311/L100 etc. I went ahead and bought a pair of L100s off ebay figuring if I didn't like them I could easily sell them. But then I found this forum and was wondering what everyone's take on the vintage JBL monitors were. I guess more than anything I'm looking for a flat, even response. Any opinoins are welcome. Thanks!
    I have a C50SM Studio Monitor for sale , with the S8 System inside ; ( same as the
    JBL PARAGON ) . Also , the three components and cross -overs of an additional S8
    system . Other posts about them on this page . DVW

Quote Originally Posted by David V. Webber View Post
    I have a C50SM Studio Monitor for sale , with the S8 System inside ; ( same as the
    JBL PARAGON ) . Also , the three components and cross -overs of an additional S8
    system . Other posts about them on this page . DVW
    Previous posts in this thread are 4 years old - instead of dropping posts into other people's threads you should probably post your own For Sale Ad in the For Sale section and include Pictures of the INTACT speaker system and the parts from the one that you said came from a water damaged cabinet
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information