Thread: Secrets of doing an effective search?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Secrets of doing an effective search?

Greetings- I hate having to ask stupid questions when there is such a large data base of great info available here. My problem is that I have a very difficult time finding specific posts that I have read in the past. For instance, I know that I saw a PDF of the entire 5235 crossover manual here , but after trying several searches of "5235", "5235 crossover", "electronic crossover", etc, etc. etc.,I still can't find it. I also remember Giskard posting schematics of some new and improved 43xx crossover that he had designed, can't find those either. Could someone please give me a basic primer on searching for specific info, I must be doing something wrong. Thank you, wpod

Yes, searching can be painful here. I have no real solution, I help myself with bookmarks or I look into "Find all posts by ...".

Network Schematics in general you can find here
    http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...chematics.html

We've lamented this "feature" many times. There is no architechture of this database, so things get put in the most unexpected places!

Maybe there is a way to add a "Search posts with attachments" choice? That would really thin-down the hits.

Hoping Don and/or John Nebel sees this...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

When ever you are looking for manuals go here first. It's much easier

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...ectronics.html

It should be added to the JBL Pro links in the Tech Section.

For the improved 4344/45 schematics do a search for 4344/45 they are imbedded in the threads. You really need a good memory to find alot of this stuff or you can simply add the thread to you Favorites in a Lansing folder in you browser.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...highlight=4344

Rob

Actually, this forum is built upon a very structured relational database at its core and the forum itself has a fairly comprehensive structure imposed upon it through sub forum definitions. The problem occurs when members do not follow the sub forum definitions in placing new posts or hijack an exisiting thread to take it to a new topic that should rightly be found in a different sub forum. The moderators try to address this, but with hundreds of posts a day, it is not possible to catch everything.

That being said, the search feature actually contains a fair bit of power. To begin with, always try the "Advanced Search" if the basic seach dialog box returns too many hits or inappropriate results. The key to any successful search is trying to narrow down the scope by applying any distinguishing information that you can think of. For example, if you can remember who posted the information, or roughly when it was posted, you can add these paramaters in the advanced search. The same thing applies to the sub forums in which it may be located or whether you remember if the thread was very active (i.e. rough number of replies).

If you still have too many hits, you can try sorting the results by forum, date, relevance, member, number of replies etc to help sift through them. I always set the results to be shown as individual posts instead of threads. That way, you will see the specific instance where your search term was used in the results summary and not have to open and hunt through every thread that came back with a positive hit.

Using the above, I typed in 5235 Manual and found the following post and thread in less than a minute. I assume that this is what you were looking for.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...nual#post92838

To Bo, unfortunately, limiting searches to posts with attachments only is currently not possible.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    The problem occurs when members do not follow the sub forum definitions in placing new posts or hijack an exisiting thread to take it to a new topic that should rightly be found in a different sub forum. The moderators try to address this, but with hundreds of posts a day, it is not possible to catch everything.
    , and

I typed in 5235 Manual and found the following post and thread in less than a minute.
    Dammit, Don! I tried a number of search strings myself, but they all included "crossover" and that returned a bunch of trash hits. Your post reminds us how search strings need to be specific, tried and revised until the objective is found.

To Bo, unfortunately, limiting searches to posts with attachments only is currently not possible.
    Yea, that was my expectation. It would be a nice future feature...

Thanks, Don.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

In long threads, a secondary "Search this thread" using the same search terms brings up the relevant individual posts quickly....

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger
    Yes, searching can be painful here. I have no real solution, I help myself with bookmarks or I look into "Find all posts by ...".

Network Schematics in general you can find here
    http://www.jblproservice.com/navigat...chematics.html

Well I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s painful, it more like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645
    Well I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s painful, it more like looking for a needle in a haystack!
    JBL 4645,

different sides of the same coin, I suggest.
    I have not had any problems for a long time.

Anything new???

Any update or improvements in the search function here???

I just tried a search but putting search item terms or phrase in quotes (for an exact search) made no difference.

Why no new posts here in 3-1/2 years???? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    Why no new posts here in 3-1/2 years???? Huh?
    Most likely because anyone attempting such a search is probably using the Google Advanced Search option using the "audioheritage.org" domain and having good results! Though I would prefer if, like many sites, searching this site via Google was an embedded option.

:dont-know
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information