Thread: Home L 300 project

Home L 300 project

I saw these well built looking home brew cabinets. Seperation of woofers and mid/ tweeter. Set up for bi amp. I have a Crown 300A [low end] and a Mc 2100 for the rest. Is it possible to buy 300/pro componets and crossovers for $1000? What would you recomend? I have L300's powered by a Mc 2255, really miss that low end punch of the Crown [don't miss the harsh brightness!!] Am I dreaming or what? Thanks!

Re: Home L 300 project

Originally posted by Triumph Don
    I saw these well built looking home brew cabinets. ... Is it possible to buy 300/pro componets and crossovers for $1000? What would you recomend?
    Man, I'm a sucker for quality, and if the cabinets are as cherry as you describe, and the network is properly configured (your statement "Seperation of woofers and mid/ tweeter. Set up for bi amp" is merely descriptive - got more info...?) this could be good - not cheap, but listening-room ready... Saves heaps of time in the garage (and on this Forum... )

Are the cabinets appropriate volume and aspect ratio? How are they ducted/ported? Lined with batting? At least 3/4-in MDF...?

Pictures?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thanks Bob. Cabs are on Ebay item # 3057623602

I saw those too they look nice! Are you including the cabinets in your 1k budget??

Rob

Very cool of you to post the "objective"...

A few comments:

1) As the seller says, the cabinets will need to be lined with batting. Having said that, it's unclear to me how he can rave about the bass response. Without proper batting and ducting/porting, he may have no clue what those LE15A's can do. And, those cabinets need that front convenience access cemented shut. Period. Way too much opportunity for incomplete seal...

2) The LE15A's have their original Chipsahoy (lansaloy) surrounds which need replacing. See comment #1 on bass response. But, that's his problem, eh?

3) The LX5 is a two-way network, crossing at 500Hz. It is designed for the LE15A and LE85 combo, but he's incorporated a cap between the LE85 and the 2405. Ask Earl about if that's sufficient... The 4333 used the 3133 network (3133 Network - Link) which has a decidedly more complex filter between the MF and UHF. You decide...

4) The MF and UHF do not need be acoustically isolated/separated from the LE15A - the former have no moving cones that might be affected by the air pressure levels in the cabinet generated by the LE15A. Matter of fact, you might benefit having the ENTIRE cabinet volume available to the LE15A's... (see addendum, below...)

5) What are/is the cabinet dimensions and volume? Aspect ratio matters, as surely volume does.

6) Ducting and porting dimensions?

Sorry...

We just want our brethren to be pleased users. There may be good value here. There may be more work ahead...

addendum
    Look at it this way?

- toss the LX5 back on eBay. Seek out a 3133 or build one.
    - get yourself some 2235's and really get this rig cooking
    - knock that divider between the two sub-cabinets out
    - go for 2421's
    - grab some 2405's/077's off eBay
    - get some guidance on porting/ducting

kick back...

It may not be the cost that drives you wacky, but the wait for components on eBay might. 2235's can be a bit illiquid with their rave reviews on this Forum...
    Last edited by boputnam; 11-11-2003 at 09:50 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bob, the auction is for the cabs ONLY. I really don't want to bother/bore members with this idea, I've owned only stock JBL's for 25 yrs. As you might have noticed from my forum name a certain motorcycle is my 1st passion, I ride about 8000 miles per year. After reading this forum, well, you guys are great! It snows in Ohio over the next few months so I think this will be a great potential project, unless I'm trying to "beat the factory" or reinvent the wheel.

Yea, I got that, but I was waxing on so eliquently, well, you know. The wind was in my hair, the road clear...

I added an addendum that hopefully got BACK ON TOPIC.

These could be good value - need dimensions. Baffle cuts would be right-sized for swapping alternate components in. The work looks good.

I'm confused about the separate sub-cabinets, and whether you'd weaken the cabinet structure by removing / breaching that, so the 15-in had more volume to play with.

And, I think you'd want a rear brace for whatever compression driver you stuff in there - that's quite a bit of weight to suspend from the throat/horn.

I just wonder with your first passion, if you'd be better-off finding something more (or closer to...) user ready, is all.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I think you would do better to build or have a friend help you build some properly braced, properly designed cabinets. $250 seems very steep for home brew varnished birch plywood boxes that will require a bit of work to bring up to spec.

Over the last year I have seen several factory JBL cabinets for either L-300s or L-200s that were sans drivers go for very low prices.

Personally, I would build my own, but then I have access to the tools.

Thread Information