Thread: Get rid of scratches on the paint

Niklas Nord

Get rid of scratches on the paint

Do you have any ideas about getting rid of the tiny scratches
    on my black piano paint on my K2 ?

You know, this kind of scratches that comes from pollishing
    with a towel or something other horribly thing..

gyusher

Soft , very soft rag and new finish car wax. . .

A old T-Shirt with the seams removed, no writing on it. . .You should be able to get rid of the fine scratches. I use "New Finish" car wax. . .Be careful about what car wax you use as most are a lower gloss than your speakers. . .Sometimes I dampen the rag I use to remove the wax so the powder doesnt get in the way. . .Do not use a coarse towel. . . . .No paper towels. . . .There are ways to repair the finish but I wont attemp to describe it in this setting. . . .Also ask the maker. . . .

Gyusher is right on about the 100% cotton T shirt recommendation. I use special polishing clothes as you can go through quite a few old shirts if you do this sort of thing everyday as I do.

To remove very fine scratches from paint or hard plastics you can use automotive polishes or polishes made specifically for plastics.

http://atcaonline.com/phone/novus.html

Even though Novus is called a "Plastic Polish" it works really well to polish out painted surfaces too. The only down side is that it contains silicone which will inhibit painting (not a paint shop safe product). It works really well and is faster and easier to use than automotive polishes. If you have a turntable dust cover that has become hazy with tiny scratches use Novus 3, followed by 2 and 1 and it will look brand new again.

I wouldn't use a wax as it will leave a wax film, but if you go to a supplier of paints and paint related materials to the automotive refinishing industry they will have a wide range of polishes that will remove those scratches. I primarily use 3M products and some of the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line. It does take time and effort. To polish out a square foot (300mm by 300mm) it can take 30 minutes or more to get a mirror finish if you are doing it by hand.

Thread Information