Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL M552 or BRYSTON B10 sub?

'zactly..........Yankeee slang

Bo,

I agree with everything you said but its getting that to happen in controlled conditions that is the challenge.

Not everyone has experience in these matters, particularly eq and this whole active thing is seen as a quick fix for nirvana by the layman which frankly it ain't. Trying to measue the stuff and interpret sane results it not easy either.

IME for the lower crossover frequencies around 300 hertz, its no boner because of the hump in the upper bass they have with the woofer acting like a bandpass filter in passive mode and less than ideal damping at Fb from the 0.5 ohm dcr Chokes JBL used.

At higher crossover points 800 hertz and above you need to be alot more discriminating and really careful.

The former passive crossover "symptomatic" issues are not as accute but there is a requirement for a lot more precision and this is where the passive voltage drives that have been tailored exactly for a given design are difficult to get right with an active filter. This is where it gets cocked up. ie example 4430/35 people mis understand what is required. Then we have people doing the whole diy deal with 2397 horns atop their big 4 ways

The result is a lot of odd ball screwed up results and noise in threads that then compounds itself later on. A while ago we tried to clean up the Tech forums as a result of this sort of situation where there was a lot of rambling and little if any certification of what was in fact correct.

At some point I think it would be useful to document in a thread titled Biamping XYZ JBLs and list what works with different active crossovers.

The problem as I see it is the 5235 cards are quite scare now for the prescribed JBL crossover settings and we have a experience / education void with more recent members joining and making enquiries..

The other issue is most off the shelf active crossovers are set up for LR 24 db filters and not all are contrinuously variable for frequency selection (exceptions DEQX with required NASA training, the Ashly wihch allows useful variable Q of the crossover point, and the Passlabs which offers numerous discrete settings).

These crossover are the Norm for Pro PA use.

But in use the JBL Pro Series Monitors for example are rarely a classic text book symmetrical filter and getting it right requires a degree of EQ fudge factor if all you have at your disposal is an off the shelf active "pro unit"..

I just think it should be thought out and perhaps slotted into a reference area once the facts are worked out...for a particular case in question

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Not everyone has experience in these matters, particularly eq and this whole active thing is seen as a quick fix for nirvana by the layman which frankly it ain't.
    Experience is something you get right after you need it. I prefer to encourage learning and trialing rather than not.

I dont thave time to look at the biamp require for the 4333 right now but perhaps more important priority than anything else is getting the biamp crossover point right.
    'zactly, which is why I figgered a sticky in the Tech area would facilitate these types of things... It is 800Hz, and...

JBL usually provide some data on this ....12 db slope (butterworth) will provide the closest approximation to the JBL filter card used 52-5123.
    ... , as per the 4333B manual.

However, I've found steeper slopes preferable. But that's just me...

Well,

Your not a silly as your avatar suggests!

Quote Originally Posted by Paky33 View Post
    I use a M552 for my 4350. Iwant buy a Bryston B10 sub.
    Do you have same experiece?
    Bryston B10 is really better than JBL M552? It cost really very much and first to buy I want an opinion from the expert
    Thanks

Paky33
    The Bryston 10B is all discrete, big power supply, they bias the unit to run Class A, and it takes whatever you throw at it. What I mean is active crossover distort when pushed too hard, the Brystons are the toughest I have ever used. Thbey dont crack up sonicallyn o matter how hard you hit them.

If your gonna use them for subs order them with the +10DB INPUT GAIN OPTION.

The M552 cant compARE TO THE BRYSTONS. They are good for what they are at their level, but Bryston is a whole 'nother level.

AND, this company will help every way they can, service is incredible, last week I called bryston, I asked for James Tanner, The President, he and I never spoke, he took the time to talk to me, and they are doing some custom work for me, no computer swithboard, no tech, the receptionins asked my name, and put me throug to James, he and I spoke with Mike Pickett, an engineer for Bryston, and we made our arrangements.

THE PRESIDENT and he is a nice guy too. But, my point is, Bryston really cares about what you buy from them, and they are a real, bonafide company run by humans, NOT automation.

But, the Bryston 10B,s are THE MOST well made crossover I have ever had. A pair weighs what a Crown D-150 weighs.

10B subs are the way to go, and JBL woofers love em.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I've tried the following:

JBL 5234A
    JBL M552
    Ashly XR1001

In that order, each has been an improvement over the former.

A custom Bryston is shipping, as we speak. I will post my impressions if favorable, or you will see it on eBay...
    I am back to my 10B,s, customized for my system, I am using them to drive 3 BGW 750G,s running 12 TAD,s, 1 Mc-2125 on 2395 horns, six of em, and a bryston 2B on Bi Radial tweeters.

The TAD,s LOVE these crossovers, the BASS, you gotta hear Pink Floyd-The Wall in my place.

They remain clean at any level i have hit them with, and the mids are drop dead clean, the 10B MC amp is a better combo than the old Crown 150 was.

I have a 3B SST running my 16 JBL tweeters, so fine sounding, it takes some work to balance out, but once you do.

Bo I was wrong, they are the BEST xovers I have ever used.

Ella and Louie doing Summertime, O man, incredible.
    scottyj

I have bought the Bryston.
    It is fantastic!
    The sound is very improved in comparison to the JBL M552.
    I am really satisfied of the purchase apart the cost. It in Italy it costs € 3.300!

Pasquale Lenza
    Yeah, youll find out, these dont fall apart sonically, no matter what.

They make gereat sounding low end too, the highs, SSSS, no CCHHHH, mids are HUGE sounding.
    scottyj

I change my Bryston B10 Sub for a Nelson Pass XVR1.
    I put in sale my Bryston that I buy in September 2006. It mount the last mainboard and power bord version.

I change my Bryston B10 Sub for a Nelson Pass XVR1.
    Would you mind telling us what differences you found between the Bryston and the Pass Labs units?

I have heard both sound quite good... I have never had an opportunity to directly compare them though.

Widget

Thread Information