Thread: Ok, 2402 or 075???

Ok, 2402 or 075???

Hi all!!!
    I have posted before about my wife burning up one of my JBL 5 cu'ft cabinets with (modified) S8 components installed, the only modification was the 075 was removed and an 2404 "Baby Butt" high end installed. Since I am moving my components into (smaller) Apollo cabinets, and being the AlNiCo guy that I am, I wanted to go to 075's on the high end. Well I got a good deal on a pair of 2402's which looked like the 075's, then I looked up the specs and found that the 2402's are only rated to 15Khz and the 075 ir rated to 21+Khz. Since these will probably be used for mostle playing back harmonics in music recordings, I'm wondering if the 075's would be noticeably better because of the 5Khz higher responce.
    Any experience or thoughts would be helpfull!!!
    Regards,
    Chris Buckley
    Fairfax, Ca, USA

Maron Horonzakz
    They both use the same voicecoil/diaphrams. So mutch for marketing hype.

For all intents and purposes...075 and 2402 are functionally identical. Like Maron said....same diaphragm.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley
    Well I got a good deal on a pair of 2402's which looked like the 075's, then I looked up the specs and found that the 2402's are only rated to 15Khz and the 075 ir rated to 21+Khz.
    The 075 and the 2402 are identical. The later 2405H have a ferrite magnet but they are considered sonically identical by JBL and many of us here on the forum. There are those that prefer the the older alnico 075s, but I am not convinced that when operating up to spec there is an audible difference. There are also some labled as 8 ohms and others as 16 ohms. Despite this, all 075s and 2402s have the exact same diaphragm and impedance as Edgewound pointed out.

As for the specs you are quoting... I don't remember ever seeing the 075 being rated to 21KHz... the 077 was, but regardless of that these numbers are only worth so much. Ultimately you need to listen for yourself and decide which model you like.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    In bulletin SB1207 On back of page they say Under performance....In laboratory work it is used as a supersonic generater in the range above 20,000 hz ..Go figger

Supersonic!

I knew those bullets looked fast, but I had no idea!

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    Yeh...I wonder what laboratory work was done. Probably EQ the piss out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The 075 and the 2402 are identical. The later 2405H have a ferrite magnet but they are considered sonically identical by JBL and many of us here on the forum. There are those that prefer the the older alnico 075s, but I am not convinced that when operating up to spec there is an audible difference. There are also some labled as 8 ohms and others as 16 ohms. Despite this, all 075s and 2402s have the exact same diaphragm and impedance as Edgewound pointed out.

As for the specs you are quoting... I don't remember ever seeing the 075 being rated to 21KHz... the 077 was, but regardless of that these numbers are only worth so much. Ultimately you need to listen for yourself and decide which model you like.

Widget
    A JBL tech/rep at a Hi Fi fair told me the 075 went out to 25K. We also heard (source not remembered that the Army had experimented with it as a discomfort producing weapon and found (by accident?) that it could cut grass. Probably with much EQ?

Quote Originally Posted by garyrc View Post
    A JBL tech/rep at a Hi Fi fair told me the 075 went out to 25K. We also heard (source not remembered that the Army had experimented with it as a discomfort producing weapon and found (by accident?) that it could cut grass. Probably with much EQ?
    I want a couple of these particular 075’s!

Back to reality, there is a ferrite 2402-5 that have phase plugs proper for the D16R2405 diaphragms they are fitted with and these go past 20kHz.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I think i have a pair of those (-5) buried somewhere... need to get around to measuring some day ��

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I think i have a pair of those (-5) buried somewhere... need to get around to measuring some day ��
    Acoustic “laser pointers”...

Widget

I swept and photo logged a pair of brand new 2402-5’s in the “Ring Radiator Comparison “ thread if you’re interested.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Cool. That will cure my curiosity for now

...somewhere around post 192, depending on where one wants to dive in.

Thread Information