Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identify this speaker, please...

Help identify this speaker, please...

Hello! I'm fini (from the Klipsch forum). Finally got registered over here!

I ran into a pair of these guys yesterday. I didn't open them up, but I could squeeze my mitts through the port to feel the driver on the back of the horn, as well as the driver on the woofer. I'm guessing the woofer is a d130, and the HF driver felt like either a 175 or an 85 (my hands are not that sensitive!).

I couldn't find anything that looked close in the library. These do to me look altered. The port seems to be part of a HF lens, and the horn seems a little weird.

Anyone familiar with these? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

If the gray frame woofer is a D130, it has been very nicely reconed with an E140 recone kit. It's now a better driver, but collectors tend to cringe when it's not original, mint parts....oh yeah...with red wax seals intact that seems to make them sound better....whatever. The horn is probably a 2307 with no lens and the port ring looks like a mount for the 1217-1290 horn lens.

Crossover is most likely a 3120 1200Hz if it's with the LE85, 175, LE75, 2420, 2421, etc.

The definitive would be to take the woofer out and look.

Hope this helps.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

E130 Kit?

I think Mr. Edge meant to say E140. How do you know it is a D130 instead of a 130A or maybe a...?

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I think Mr. Edge meant to say E140. How do you know it is a D130 instead of a 130A or maybe a...?

Widget
    Duh...thanks for the correction, Mr. Widget. Need coffee. Made correction in the post....thanks.

And Widget's right....the frame is important to know if it's a compatible recone. E.g...the 130A should only be reconed with a 2220(Pro 130A equivalent) for it to work as designed.

Well, I was guessing on the D130. I'll go back and remove the crossover and poke my nose in there. Is the cabinet at all familiar? It's real wood veneer, but doesn't look like a JBL product. They're $200 for the pair, which could be worth it for the parts...

Quote Originally Posted by fini
    Well, I was guessing on the D130. I'll go back and remove the crossover and poke my nose in there. Is the cabinet at all familiar? It's real wood veneer, but doesn't look like a JBL product. They're $200 for the pair, which could be worth it for the parts...
    Sounds like a good deal especially if all the drivers work properly. The driver cores alone are worth that.

They're $200 for the pair, which could be worth it for the parts...
    They may not be your cup of tea sonically but they are certainly worth $200+ for the parts.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    FINI....you made a good find. What are you doing here with the refind wine sippers (California wine). I thought you licked the beer off the tavern floor. Take out the woofer & check markings on back of cone.

Maron! One of the most dry wines, oops, senses of humor, on the Klipsch forum! Howzit hangin? Well, I was allowed to remove the crossover, and found the woofer to be a D140F. Does that alter the deal? I didn't spring for the $200 ...yet. I couldn't see the HF driver (I felt it jambed up against the back of the cabinet/insulation). Maron, do you recognize the cabinet? The back does not come off.

Maron! One of the most dry wines, oops, senses of humor, on the Klipsch forum! Howzit hangin? Well, I was allowed to remove the crossover, and found the woofer to be a D140F. Does that alter the deal? I didn't spring for the $200 ...yet. I couldn't see the HF driver (I felt it jambed up against the back of the cabinet/insulation). Maron, do you recognize the cabinet? The back does not come off.
    Doesn't alter the deal at all. The D140F was very nicely reconed with the correct kit...it now has E140 power handling...200 watts sine wave, 400 watts pink noise.

My only concern would be the surround at the two o'clock vicinity...is that a shadow or a split in the surround at the cone?

Thanks for the confirmation, Edgewound! I forgot to mention the crossover is a model 3110 (crossing at 800 Hz, I believe). Googling a bit, I see the D140F was mostly used as a bass guitar speaker. I assume from your enthsiasm, it makes for a decent hifi component? I got to hear them a bit (AM radio...what a treat!), and the parts all seem to work.

Thanks for the confirmation, Edgewound! I forgot to mention the crossover is a model 3110 (crossing at 800 Hz, I believe). Googling a bit, I see the D140F was mostly used as a bass guitar speaker. I assume from your enthsiasm, it makes for a decent hifi component? I got to hear them a bit (AM radio...what a treat!), and the parts all seem to work.
    Decent hifi? yes....and it's just a very useful, versatile driver. My enthusiasm is that you found such a nice example of an updated D140F for such a great deal.

I wouldn't necessarily mate that crossover with those components for optimum use of the drivers capabilities...but you found a nice treasure. If you don't want them at that price....where are they?

OK, OK! I'm convinced! Besides, they're up here in Northern CA (I wouldn't want to put you through that drive ). I will report on my findings when I return (and when SWMBO is not within ear/eyeshot, which may not be until Tuesday...).

OK, OK! I'm convinced! Besides, they're up here in Northern CA (I wouldn't want to put you through that drive ). I will report on my findings when I return (and when SWMBO is not within ear/eyeshot, which may not be until Tuesday...).
    Thanks....although NorCal is a beautful drive...gas alone would double the cost .

Good Luck

Maron Horonzakz
    FINI,s got the money

Thread Information