Thread: Altec 846U's...why can't I open up the back?

Altec 846U's...why can't I open up the back?

I have a pair of Altec 846 U speakers. Why did Altec glue these and not with screws...I would love to open them up.

So, are Valencias and Flamenco's the same as the A7? Did Altec re-do the components from the A7 and made the Valencia and Flamenco's?

Are the 846U speakers worth just as much as the Flamenco and Valencia? If so, how much are they worth?

Just wanting some overall opinions.

Not much of an expert here but I have had quite a few Altecs over the years. Many of the higher end home models came in what I refer to as one piece cabinets. Opening these is a matter of removing the grill and speakers from the front.
    A few thoughts as to why might be; Purely cosmetic so these can be seen from any angle and be furniture grade, Structural integrity to reduce the risk of rattles and finally for easy of construction at the factory in that many have completely removable baffles with all components attached which might have been made on one line while the cabinets are made elsewhere.

As for priceing I always say these things are worth what ever the high bidder at that moment is willing to pay. I have seen just about all of Altecs offerings bring rediculous prices, in either direction, and with out rhyme or reason. Friends have bought nice Velencias for $200 and others have paid nearly $1000. Same goes for Flemancos and Model 19s.

What I find most appauling is when the components are seperated from otherwise perfectly good cabinets because the expense to ship them is so high.
    A case in point is to have a very nice set of 19s, all original and in good condition. Likely worth between $1200-$2000 today. Remove the raw components and build a very fine box of your own design and the value is likely cut in half. You no longer have Model 19s once you seperate the components from the cabinets!
    Sometimes the raw components are more valuable then the cabinets with the components even though the cabinets are fine. Go Figure!

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thank you for the help.

Post A little bit about the furniture style VOTT's

Around 1965 - 1970's, Altec Lansing made three furniture-style cabinets housing the lower-level VOTT speaker components; the Valencia, the Flamenco and the Milano. They also had a matching equipment cabinet. The prices were somewhat the same although, if I can remember, the Milano was a little more expensive since it had doors. They contained the 416 woofer, the 807/811 HF combo and the N-801 XO, the same components as the A-7. The suffixes varied with the year. The crossover was at 800 hz. There was also a furniture model of the A-7 itself with the HF horn mounted down inside the LF horn. By 1974, just the Valencia remained. Attached are some catalog pages you might enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thank you for that information.

But, why are the backs sealed on the newer 846 series?

Thread Information