Thread: New use for dishwasher!!

New use for dishwasher!!

A while back I posted about one of my JBL 5cf cabinets getting burned up by a fire my wife started in the house, and that I had bought a pair of Apollo cabinets to modify and transplant my S8 components into. One of my LE15A's burned up pretty good, I would however like to try and recone it myself. Today I removed all of the charred gasket pieces and what was left of the spider and voice-coil, the paint and label on the frame and magnet structure are ok, just really badly smoke stained. I started scrubbing in the sink with a scotchbrite pad and dish soap, after a few minutes I got the idea: "Hey, why don't I just run this thing through the dishwasher!!" So I did, loaded up the dispenser cups with dishwasher detergent and selected the Pot-scrubber cycle. Well the damn thing came out looking like new, I took it downstairs and used the compressor and a blow gun to dry out the voice-coil gap, next week I will be installing a recone kit!!!
    Cheers,
    Chris
    Regards,
    Chris Buckley
    Fairfax, Ca, USA

I don't think the sustained heat of a pot-scrubbing dishwasher cycle was intended for the transducer motor. Heat is not good for these motors - JBL works hard on sinking it away...

You might oughta add re-magnetization to your "to do" list...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam
    Heat is not good for these motors...

You might oughta add re-magnetization to your "to do" list...
    Probably true... I doubt the dishwashing was as hot as the meltdown that preceded it though. You can get it's alnico magnet recharged before or after the recone, but you should seriously consider it. Compared to the cost of the recone kit it is just a small up charge.

Widget

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    i think you can measure the magnet power levels before reconing?, now if only they made more dishwashable speaker drivers
    Young, but i love speakers!

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Buckley
    Regards,
    Chris Buckley
    Fairfax, Ca, USA
    Hey Chris - off topic, but my band played at Peri's in Fairfax last Thursday night. If you'd come by, you would've been able to hear what bass sounds like through a JBL Sub1500 - that's what I use.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    Hey Chris - off topic, but my band played at Peri's in Fairfax last Thursday night. If you'd come by, you would've been able to hear what bass sounds like through a JBL Sub1500 - that's what I use.
    John
    Would've been nice, I work nights though.
    Chris
    Regards,
    Chris Buckley
    Fairfax, Ca, USA

Thread Information