Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a pre-amp Not too expensive

I need a pre-amp Not too expensive

I'm thinking about getting a pre-amp for my studio. I've been using a mixer but would like something a little better sounding.
    A friend suggested looking at the Dynaco Pas-2. He said they aren't much to look at but that they sound wonderful. Have any of you had much experience with them? Are there some others you would suggest that may be better for around the same dough?

I'm running a Hafler amp and 4425's and 4412's on a switch.

Thanks, Terry

PSS AUDIO
    Terry,

If you just have a CD player, why not linking it directly to the amp?

It will be the best pre amp!

Not just a CD. This will be to run my DAW through as well as my Tascam deck DAT player and the like. Mainly used for monitoring during mixing and mastering.

I'd like something that is pretty true but musical.

Blessings, Terry

Figge
    have fun bidding!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...716313603&rd=1

regards fredrik

Hey Frigge,

Thanks for the link. Do you think the Crown is a better sounding unit than a Dynaco PAS2?

It certainly seems to be in the right price range.

Thanks, Terry

Re: I need a pre-amp Not too expensive

Originally posted by still4given
    I'm thinking about getting a pre-amp for my studio. I've been using a mixer but would like something a little better sounding.
    HUH? You're using a Mackie 1604VLZ pro mixer as your present preamp, in combination with a buncha pro rack gear, and you expect you might improve on that with an unbalanced consumer preamp?

Only upgrade I would be considering would be digital.

Must be something I'm not appreciating here.
    Last edited by Zilch; 08-27-2004 at 10:21 AM.

Figge
    Hey Frigge,

Thanks for the link. Do you think the Crown is a better sounding unit than a Dynaco PAS2?

It certainly seems to be in the right price range.

Thanks, Terry

i have no experience with Dynaco PAS2. but i have heard the crown on one or two occations...and liked it very much! i dont think u´ll find any better at the price.

if the seller was in sweden i´d buy it!

u only have 2 hours to make up your mind
    Last edited by Figge; 08-27-2004 at 10:56 AM.

Hi Zilch,

Thanks for the response but I'm a little confused with what you are saying. First of all I don't have a 1604VLZ Pro, it's just a VLZ. Secondly, the amp I'm using at present is a Hafler TA-1600 and it's not ballanced, neither is my BX63 crossover. My Carvin is but since both amps are down line from the BX63 I don't see how that matters much anyway. I use a Technics VU-660 integrated amp for some stuff as well and it sounds better than the Mackie to my ears. I was under the impression that the Dynaco was a reall good sounding pre. My friend, who recommended it, makes his living providing audio equipment for the all the execs here at Universal Music Group, where I work. He didn't recomend it over some other high priced gear, but he think they sound really good.
    I know a lot of you guys have stellar systems so that's why I asked here. I am just getting started putting this stuff together and want to make good use of the money I spend. That's why I asked for recommendations. If the Crown that was recommendedis not something I'll want to keep and use, I don't want waste time and money.

Are you guys all running ballanced gear? If so, I'll look in that direction then. Like I said, I just want to make good purchases.

Thanks, Terry

Re: Re: Re: I need a pre-amp Not too expensive

Originally posted by boputnam
    Then again, if comparing to a 1604-VLZ....
    SO, I should trash my lowly 1202-VLZ?

Hmmmmm. Adcom, huh?

Actually, my "listening " stuff is separate, using Sony digital processors, single-ended, into balanced pro amps, typically, i.e., "hybrid." Seems lotsa forum users are mixing gear like that.

Not that I do THAT much listening.

Or recording, either, for that matter....

Why, why, WHY???
    Last edited by Zilch; 08-27-2004 at 11:02 AM.

Figge

1. Are you guys all running ballanced gear?
    2. I just want to make good purchases.

Thanks, Terry

1. im not into balanced!
    2. well then stay away from really overpriced "audiophile" equipment!

bet you´ll love the crown though...
    Last edited by Figge; 08-27-2004 at 11:05 AM.

Well, that's the deal, of course....

Originally posted by Figge
    2. well then stay away from really overpriced "audiophile" equipment!
    We default into balanced gear purchasing pro quality power amps in lieu of them "audiophiles" at three or four times the price. I look inside and find the same output devices, power transformers, construction techniques, etc. in both.

[No offense to Yuri, I hope....]

On the recording side of my DAW, everything is balanced. I use a Delta 1010 that has 8 balanced ins and 8 balanced outs and an SPDIF digital I/O.

For my PA system, everything stays balanced all the way to my JBL Eons. There is a lot of stuff that can cause interference in a live situation. I really didn't think it would matter that much for the monitoring side in my studio. All cable runs are very short.

Anyway, I didn't mean to open a can of worms. I'm just trying to make my new JBLs sound as good as I can on my budget. I appreciate all of the suggestions you guys have offered. I'll keep my eye on that Crown. That's a name that has always represented quality to me. I’m still open to other suggestions as well.

Blessings, Terry

Carver....

I had a Carver C1 which I bought on ebay for about $100. It was a very clean and quiet preamp (except the Moving Coil input) with lots of inputs and flexibility. I'd highly recommend it - you can always put it back on ebay for $100 if you don't like it.

The Yamaha C80/C85 are excellent as well...

I'm assuming you don't want to spend a lot - if you do let me know and I'll make some more expensive recommendations.

jblnut

Re: Carver....

Originally posted by jblnut
    I had a Carver C1 which I bought on ebay for about $100. It was a very clean and quiet preamp (except the Moving Coil input) with lots of inputs and flexibility. I'd highly recommend it - you can always put it back on ebay for $100 if you don't like it.

The Yamaha C80/C85 are excellent as well...

I'm assuming you don't want to spend a lot - if you do let me know and I'll make some more expensive recommendations.

jblnut
    Thanks, I'll look into those Carvers and the Yamaha. You're right, I don't want to spend too much if I don't have to. I just missed that Crown listed above. It went from $76 to $117 in the last 10 seconds.

Thanks again, Terry

PAS 2 is for use with tube power amps

I liked the PAS 2, but then I liked old tube stuff. It's a strong candidate for upgrades of which there have been many described in DIY articles over the years. I don't think it's really a prospect for you because it likes a high-impedance tube amp style load (100k plus). When Dynaco started making solid state amps they modified their then-current PAS 3 to be used with SS amps and called it the PAS 3X. I don't know what the differences are.

David

Thread Information