Thread: Dynaco Mark IIIs - Sort of...

Dynaco Mark IIIs - Sort of...

I'm hopefully a week away from completing the rebuild. Waiting on the plater to finish the gold plating on the transformer bells.

The only part that will be original Dynaco are the transformers. I'm using electronics form Curcio audio. They have a "Premium Upgrade" set of three boards for each mono-block (driver, powersupply, and cap boards). This is a $1K set of boards. My expectations are high!

Prior to tearing them apart the Mark IIIs had a very nice sound. They had been converted to ss rectification, so they weren't sleepy. However, I have to confess liking the sound of my Phase Linear 400s better. They Mark IIIs power my L100s and I use a Phase Linear 400 to run the subs.

I bought a set of aftermarket chassis and had them powder coated gloss black. They now reflect like black mirrors. The Antec fans in the boxes have a neon blue light that shines around the chassis.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

are the SS rectifiers IN4007's ? that's what a number of guitar amps use . I've been thinking about doing tubes because I know my way around tube amps moreso than I do SS amps , but that isn't saying alot !

Those do look good ! let us know what tube compliments you intend to run !

I have a number of NOS 12ax7 preamp bottles. If you're into that sort of thing drop me a line. They are mostly rca but I have at least one amperex . I also have 2 "blackplate" 6L6's but one is used if I remember correctly.

The L100's are a dynamite prescription for classic rock , I wonder if tubes might augment that .

If it were me, I'd go ahead and apply the same finish to the insides of those boards.

Otherwise, coo-ul!

David

Dave, I got lazy! Since the insides don't show, I figured what the hey. I'm the only one who'll know. If Chippendale could get away with it, I'll be ok.

Joe, I'm using Sovtek KT88s. I haven't decided what to use on the input driver boards. Going to go with Joe Curcio's recommendation. I don't know what diodes were used to replace the GZ-34 rectifier; never looked that close. I sold the MK IIIs (kept the transformers) so I can't check.

Your revitalised amps might be more deserving of other than the L100 .

I absolutely love my L100s! Crazy as it sounds, there isn't another set of speakers I'd rather have. With the subs doing the heavy lifting the L100s have remarkable brilliance. They make me smile!

I have a modified pair of mkIIIs also. The front end of the amplifier was rebuilt to a differential cascode topology used in the pp-1c amplifier on this site:

http://www.vacuumstate.com/schematics.htm

The previous owner of the amp had converted it to use solid state rectifiers (1n4007), with a turn on delay timer tube that waits for the tubes to heat up about 30 seconds before switching on the B+.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information