Thread: JBL Control series

JBL Control series

Hello,

I have the intention to buy a pair of JBL's smallest speakers. I want to use them with my computer. (soundcard, amplifier, speakers.)

Can anyone tell me the difference between a JBL Control 1 Extreme and a JBL Control 1 Monitor. Why the addition "Extreme" ? Was the JBL 1 G the top model ?
    Please let me have your comments.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman

Odd...

The Control 1X looks like the consumer version of the 1, and it has smaller transducers (4-in woof; 1/2-in tweet, 10-80w, 8Ω) than the 1.
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=COS&ser=COS

Control 1 has 5-3/4-in woof, and 3/4-in tweet, 150w, 4Ω
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/control.htm

-----

Edit: Actually, I appear to have 1X, and they are fine for their size. Never knew their were the two lines...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Control series

Dear Mr.Putnam,

Thank you very much for your detailed information. Meanwhile i have discovered there are (has been) several types of the Monitor 1.

With kind regards,

Jan Slagman
    The Netherlands

Control 1

So, the biggest impediment to me spending more time in-front of the new Bryston is these damned Control 1's on the Patio!!

The hang (can't consider these "flown"...) creates a near perfectly complimentary coupling with the soffit and wall to give a soft bass boost. These beauties were $139 the pair from Full Compass. Who can compete with that? Tough business model for JBL - this quality in something this inexpensive...?

The weather here on the coast has been atypically fog-free, and well, here I am...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Control 1 AW

Bo, are those Control 1's from Full Compass the All Weathers version? I believe the Control 1 comes in AW and I would be interested in buying AW's for my backyard.

I already have a couple of pairs of regular Control 1's, but I didn't think I can use them outside.

These are not advertised to be, but the cone looks poly so is certainly robust enough for under the eaves.

I won't leave these out on dark stormy nights or through the winter. Even though storms come from the other (S) side of the house, that'd be goofy...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I have a pair of control 1 G speakers. They appear to have a different lens on the tweeter than other ones. I bought them about 10 years a ago

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Odd...

The Control 1X looks like the consumer version of the 1, and it has smaller transducers (4-in woof; 1/2-in tweet, 10-80w, 8Ω) than the 1.
    http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...at=COS&ser=COS

Control 1 has 5-3/4-in woof, and 3/4-in tweet, 150w, 4Ω
    http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/control.htm

-----

Edit: Actually, I appear to have 1X, and they are fine for their size. Never knew their were the two lines...
    Yes the specs are different but the size of both of the speakers are the same when you measure them with a ruler. I use to own the orginal Control 1 from pro and the size and shape was exactly the same. They just measured the speakers differently like maybe they measured from the rims or maybe the frame or even maybe the foam ends on the speakers. If I measure from the whole frame then it is 5in even on the Xtremes. Biggest difference is the tweeters on the Control 1 are Polycarbonate and the Xtremes are Titanium-Laminate plus the Xtremes has an improved waveguide compaired to the Control 1 from pro. They also made the Xtremes 8 ohms so most receiver can work but since it's 8 ohms they rasied up the Sensitivity to 89db instead of 87db like the orginal Control 1 that is 4 ohms. Technicaly the Xtremes are an updated newer version of the orginal Control 1 from pro.

Well, I do not know I was pretty disappointed in the Control 25T until I paired them with my sub (2245H, 8 cubic ft, tuned freq equals 28 hz) and everything sounds great now. Was extremely disappointed before. The highs and mids were extrelely strained and scratchey. The sub made all the difference. I am hoping the Control 5's are that much better. Be almost a perfect sound for the SPLs and distances I listen at.

If you can deal with some flaws, Control 1's are a dime a dozen on ebay in various condition. There seems to be an endless supply of them.

Pairing them up with a T-amp makes for a fine little PC system. Fine bass response for nearfield use.

Thread Information