Thread: L250 with Newer Mac

audioaddict

Question L250 with Newer Mac

I have a pair of L250s and I will be using them with a pair of Mac Mc501 monos and the Mac C2200 tube preamp. I will be getting the Mac in about 2 weeks. I imagine it should sound great together but was wondering if anyone has heard this combo or something similar. I also also have been looking for the right cable. So far, the best I've heard is the Audience AU24 speaker and balanced interconnect. Does anyone have experience with this or other cable with Mac and and JBL that they would recommend? Thanks for any info in advance. John

Yes, I have heard BOTH mac's, individually and together, but not hooked up to L250s.

Each Mac is a stellar piece of equipment and combined together can make a very nice sound. How it will sound with the L250s I have no idea, but I'm sure it will be nice. As far as connectors you'll just to experiment till you find the one that suits your taste, some times I have to try 8 to 10 to find one that "Fits" the other eguipment.

The only thing I might recommend listening to extra time will be with the highs ( and upper mides) from that combo, the tube pre-amp with 501 MAC will produce a more "rounded" highs and mids ( my subjective description).

If your willing to spend that much money on amps and pre-amps you may want to spend the extra money on CC the crossovers ( if you haven't done that already - I haven't read all posts like I used to)

Good luck, sounds like you will have a lot of fun and good times with the setup.

audioaddict

Smile L250 and Mac

Thank you for taking the time to respond. The L250s are still stock except fot the wire. I will listen with the setup and then decide what to change after I get used to the combo.

Wires

I haven't tried a lot of interconnect or speaker wires - generic oxygen-free copper in various gauges, Taralab, Monster, QED, Diskwasher, AR & Belkin-derived. I have been using QED's Qunex 3 silver interconnects and XT350 or XT400 speaker wire for the last year. I hear clearer/cleaner sound, more high-end but the bass isn't lost like some audiophile wire. I didn't like their more pricey Silver Spiral wires as they cost warmth/bass on my system.
    BTW, seems to be better to have all the wires from the same mfr & style as recommended by the "experts". When I use the Monster or Belkin interconnects with QED speaker wire (or vice versa) the sound thins out or gets muddier. Same when I sub'd the pricey QED SilverSpiral wires.
    - Roy

audioaddict

Smile L250/Mac /cables

I am going to have to experiment with different cables. I haved heard great things about Audience cables. Has anyone tried them? Whatever I end up with will most likely end up inside the L250s as well. Thank you for taking the time to help. Regards, John

MC501/L250 Dream setup!

I don't know if I can offer much here but I'll certainly be interested to hear about how this setup sounds. I have a MAC system with MC300 amp driving a pair of L220's, and an MC252 driving a B460 sub. I've been using Tributaries OFC cable to run the L220's, and Audioquest Silver cable to run the Sub; with very good results in both cases. It's been my dream to upgrade the MC300 to a pair of the highly acclaimed MC501's...maybe even an MC501 for the sub too but that would be lower priority. A pair of MC501's driving L250's? I'd like to hear that! I'm sure whatever you decide to use, you'll be in heaven...

Good luck and best regards,

Peter

P.S. It's bee a while again since I posted here...Hi gang!

Quote Originally Posted by audioaddict
    I have a pair of L250s and I will be using them with a pair of Mac Mc501 monos and the Mac C2200 tube preamp. I will be getting the Mac in about 2 weeks. I imagine it should sound great together but was wondering if anyone has heard this combo or something similar. I also also have been looking for the right cable. So far, the best I've heard is the Audience AU24 speaker and balanced interconnect. Does anyone have experience with this or other cable with Mac and and JBL that they would recommend? Thanks for any info in advance. John

Quote Originally Posted by pmakres1

P.S. It's bee a while again since I posted here...Hi gang!
    Back at ya

Good to see ya again...
    rick

audioaddict

While waiting for my MC501s

I hooked up the L250s to a pair of MC30s and wow. They have no right to sound this good and play this loud. 30 watts isn't much but it sure sounds great. The system is mainly Mac (C28 and MVP831 DVD player Linn LP12 table). I was using a Krell and the bass was better on the Krell but from there up the Macs are amazing smooth, detailed, with great presence. I would never have believed that 30 watts could be this powerful sounding and so liquid at the same time. The Mac bass isn't bad but it does not have the authority the 250 watt Krell has. I am letting the Krell go to a friend who is a bass freak. I was going to wait till the Macs arrived but not anymore. The Mc30s will do nicely for the next week. I am still amazed at how good the 45 year old amps sound. I think they are the best buy in audio. I know I won't be selling mine anytime soon. Regards and thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread. John

The 501's bass and mid bass should be mind-blowing while keeping the mids and highs close to what you're enjoying.

Of course the 501 is a SS and the Mc30's are tubes..still

you could always bi-amp and use both

JBL plus Mac

Hello there, I have about the same set up. Mac 352 Amp with a C2200 pre and a 205 CD player into a set of JBL 250Ti's Great Great sound! I keep trying to get a set of Mac 501's but, keep missing out. I thought I had a set lined up right in the next town but the guy couldn't wait for me to stop by to see them. They seem to sell very fast whenever listed. I plan soon to rest the C2200 preamp and the 205 CD player and hook up the Mac C200 2 piece PreAmp and the 751/ 700 2 piece CD setup. They are just sitting here cause I'm just to lazy to pull them out of the boxes. I need to retire so I can devote full time to the toys! I also want to pick up a Mac 2000 or a 2102 amp to pair with the C2200. I thinks tubes should play with tubes. Only about 52 months to retirement. Cheers, Frank

audioaddict

JBL/Mac

I enjoyed reading about your system. I like the MCD205 a lot but I ended up buying the Classe CDP202. I do have some SACDs but the player sounded so good I bought it even though it only plays Red Book CDs. The Classe is amazing if you use the balanced outputs. It has one Burr Brown DAC per channel and has amazing detail without and trace of digital "sound". I have 3 turntables and over 6000 records so if it doesn't sound analog I don't want it. I'm picking my new stuff up Thursday and I can't wait. Regards, John

Quote Originally Posted by vettedrummer
    I plan soon to rest the C2200 preamp and the 205 CD player and hook up the Mac C200 2 piece PreAmp and the 751/ 700 2 piece CD setup.
    I would be most interested in hearing how the 700/751 sounds against the 205, hopfully you'll do a review for us.

Thread Information