Thread: My First experience with JBL

My First experience with JBL

Howdy every one.
    I ve been doing alot of readding on JBL in this forum and finally borrow my friend jbl L100 and try it out for the first time tonight.first,let me tell you that I am one of those crazy audiophile that have alot of $$$$in my reference system(avantgarde horn,supratek pre-amp and way too many amplifier to list)..To make a long story short..I was speechless when I first heard the L100 with my B&O system..I can't believe how good this system sound and it only cost me a few hundred dollars..I am going to try this JBL with my all mcintosh system this weekend ..Now,I am going to buy myself a pair of JBL for myself..Can you guy give me some recomendation for something is a big step up from the L100..I have a buddy that I can buy his L300 for around 1300-1400. ..please advice..thanks

MJC
    Welcome, another JBL convert. If you think the L100 is good, you will be amazed how good a pair of 250Ti sound, or L212, or the current Performance Series, or Project Array.
    Of coarse, there is the big daddy, the K2 9800s($15K/ea).
    Unfortunately, the JBLs, that most people are familar with (these days) are the ones sold in BB, their low end stuff.
    Unlike the '70's, when I bought my JBLs (L55s and L212), you don't see JBLs in the better hifi shops in very many places anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MJC
    Welcome, another JBL convert. If you think the L100 is good, you will be amazed how good a pair of 250Ti sound, or L212, or the current Performance Series, or Project Array.
    Of coarse, there is the big daddy, the K2 9800s($15K/ea).
    Took the words out of my mouth..well put

Quote Originally Posted by ttrhp
    Howdy every one.
    I am going to try this JBL with my all mcintosh system this weekend ..Now,I am going to buy myself a pair of JBL for myself..Can you guy give me some recomendation for something is a big step up from the L100..I have a buddy that I can buy his L300 for around 1300-1400. ..please advice..thanks
    My personal experience is that MAC's work great with with older JBL's....I particularly like the tubed stuff OR early Trans stuff ( 68-74 era) when playing with 70's style speakers.

There's something magical in the quality of those old JBLspeakers.

Here's what I would recommend... Buy some larger OLDER JBL's first since you're doing this for fun...just learn about them first

Then if you want you can create another JBL system designed for just reference listening.

good to have you aboard and wish you many happy hours with your JBL's

Hi TTRHP,

Welcome to the LHG Forum. I'm sure you will get a lot of good advice and interesting responses to your questions.

If you thought the L100's were nice to listen too, then your option of purchasing a friend's L300's at the price you quoted, for many of us, is an absolute no brainer!!! The L300 is just a lot more speaker than the L100 because of size, horn mid and tweeter. The price you are quoting is a steal in today's market - even if there are some cosmetic nicks and bruises. Just be sure the surrounds are in decent shape - if not, knock off $100 for the repair and have them resurrounded by a JBL authorized center AND be sure to TELL them to put the surrounds on the BACKS of the cones just like factory original. Don't let them tell you otherwise, if so, just leave and try another shop.

Many people like the L300 for what it was and is, a great speaker and a wonderful step up in JBL sound. However, let me warn you, it is an addiction/hobby that can continue up the ladder as others have begun to point out. Considering the $$$$ that you have already spent on your equipment, this should not be a huge consideration for you, I'm guessing.

Bring your favorite vinyl and listen to the L300's. I don't think you'll leave without them. BTW, they do make a nice investment, you'll not lose money on them, and likely be ahead if you ever sell them. Just vow not to part them out, if possible, us JBL nuts would like a shot at owning them too.

Regards,

Bart

In the $1200 to $1500 range, for a "big step up from L100s," I'd buy 4430s rather than L300s....

Hi Zilch,

No disagreement there, the 4430/4435's are also on my short list of desirable "vintage" monitors. The only problem is they are a bit harder to source or find regularly and close by so that shipping doesn't eat up cost and createe potential for damage.

I'm still kicking myself for not trying to get the 4435's that remusr got from Bullhead City, AZ. It was only a 7 hour drive from my house and in this price range too.

Too many speakers, not quite enough money or time....

Regards,

Bart

If I had my choice between a 300 and a 4430, I'll take the 300 anyday

Now don't mis-understand me, I really love the 4430 ( I had mine for years until I sold it to audiobeer and I had my 300 a long time too)..BUT the 4430 can be tricky to get setup right. The 300 is so easy to sound good in comparison.....it's designed for regular people to be heard in houses, where as the 4430 is a monitor and was designed to be in studios.

It's a matter of what's easier...anyway, do a search on 4430's and you'll see thread after thread of people who got them and then had to work to get them to sound good.

I will of course agree with the ever correct Zilch that the 4430 is a "better" speaker in some ways BUT the 300 is more fun and easier to use and much more "user friendly"

also ( and this is from several true A/B comparisions of the two speakers), the mid-range ( and upper mid-bass voicing)on the 300 is more "there" than on the 4430

so if it were me and I had a little money to burn I'll buy the L300 AND then later get a 250...

just my last 2 cents on this thread....

PS...at $1300 to $1400 for the 300's..run don't walk and get them...follow mech986's advice

I want to say Thank you for all the great advice..I ve been looking into the l300 and the 250ti..I saw a L-250 on audiogon.Can any one tell me is there a diff between the L-250 Vs 250Ti?..

MJC
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrhp
    I want to say Thank you for all the great advice..I ve been looking into the l300 and the 250ti..I saw a L-250 on audiogon.Can any one tell me is there a diff between the L-250 Vs 250Ti?..
    The tweeter mainly, 044Ti, the Ti meaning Titanium. The tweeter in the L250 is a 044.
    I've never heard the L250, but I've heard the 250Ti, what a speaker!

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/catalogs/1982-home.htm

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1984-ti.htm

I have not heard the 250, I have the the TI version. the price if it stays low could make it worth while to up to TI. I thought for a the 999 starting price they would make an accetable set for rears inn my system

Mark

Thread Information