Thread: The Zen 9

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Zen 9

As I am building a Zen 9 amplifier I thought I would devote a few posts here.

For details of the design go here: http://www.passdiy.com/

As with all these class A amps heatsinks are first and foremost so I started off by coming up with a chassis based on some Conrad Heatsinks I had at home.

These particular extrusions are rated a 0.25 degrees C per watt and will reach an operating temperature of about 50 degress C at an ambient room temperature of 25 degrees C. They are flanged and have an inset at the ends which neatly allows a plate of 3 mm aluminium to form the front panel. The overall heatsinks dimensions are 300 x 150 x 45 mm and form the sides of the chassis as can been seen from the image below.

The overall chassis external dimensions are 480mm x 300 mm x 150 mm.

The two smaller vertical finned heatsinks at the rear are used exclusively for the Power JFets

Using short sections of L angle and some 12 mm x 12 mm square rod I made some backets and used M4 bolts to secure everthing together.

I then milled out the holes for the mains IEC socket, mains power switch and RCA inputs and Speakon output sockets and the Blue Led for the front panel.

The Zen 9 amplifier design has it origin in the single stage Zen but uses a unique LU1014D Loveltech Power J Fet as the key gain device. (see article for details).

Four installments in the article discuss in depth the circuit theory and performance benefits. The amplifier has particular potential for high efficiency driver and horn devotee's give the amplifier has very low noise and distortion in class A operation.

When I complete the main pcb's I will post another image

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Master Ian
    Very nice work.Planing to make a small power Pass power-amp for my high efficiency speakers[LE8T and D130],and wanna feel the difference between the Mosfet and Tube [just got a pair of vintage Fisher 80AZ and A pair of Leak TL12].
    Learning from you

-----------------------
    Northwood
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Hi Northwood,

Here is some discussion on the Fisher , I have not had any experience wit it. I have heard the leak TL 12 on ocassions and I don't care for it.

These valve amps are sophisticated designs compared to the single stage Zens. May I suggest that you read the earlier Zen articles regards the benefits of mosfets at the above link.

Also look at the Passlabs download owner manuals for discussion on tubes versus mostfets.

http://www.passlabs.com/downloads/ol...duct/a3man.pdf

Nelson Pass is one of the most highly respected amplifier designers of our time and his experience with power mosfet's as gain devices is unique.

regards

Ian

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...intage&m=48899

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Hi Northwood,

Here is some discussion on the Fisher , I have not had any experience wit it. I have heard the leak TL 12 on ocassions and I don't care for it.

These valve amps are sophisticated designs compared to the single stage Zens. May I suggest that you read the earlier Zen articles regards the benefits of mosfets at the above link.

Also look at the Passlabs download owner manuals for discussion on tubes versus mostfets.

http://www.passlabs.com/downloads/ol...duct/a3man.pdf

Nelson Pass is one of the most highly respected amplifier designers of our time and his experience with power mosfet's as gain devices is unique.

regards

Ian

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...intage&m=48899
    Thank you my friend Ian,I'm downloading the file u gave to me and I've read the discussion about fisher 80AZ,people here call it locomotive.The talk about that is very worthy to read,thank you very much.Price here is 1/3 higher . Leak TL12 has another verison of BBC,bigger and heavier,totally different transformer,as good as american made transformer.
    I used Marantz9 and Mictosh275,they are much better,same the price^_^

The joy of us fans is the changing and changing of taste,except the faith to JBL.

Looks like a Valve tester.

Ian

This is the Green Etch stage of the Pcb fabrication for Zen 9.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie
    Looks like a Valve tester.

Ian
    Yeah,u r right my master Ian
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Thread Information