Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Control 1 summertime project surround array and more!

JBL 4645

Thumbs up JBL home cinema installation Wintertime project up and running!

Well so far so good, no awesome is the word and only x8 more JBL Control 1 for the height surrounds to go now.

All I have to do at present is re-calibrate the surrounds centre back sides and height surrounds. I’ll start off with the heights then move over to the centre back and then finally calibrate the sidewall surrounds

Superman Returns is totally surrounding me and this is just with the four-channel JBL surround array truly awesome, wow this like being at the Empire Leicester square really it’s just too damn exciting here.

With airplane sequence in chapters 10 though to 12 where wind and music and with Superman’s speed racing against incredible odds looking upwards and from side to side and back as well it was a mad scene that was delivered with precision.

JBL 4645

This angle was kinder tight to get as well as the tightening up of the (mould nut).

Wow during chapter 35 where Superman throws out one mighty piece of rock the levels on the four-channel array JBL Control 1 surrounds really heightens the scene with the choir and has his body hits the ground a very soft boom reverbs around the room.

Star Wars episode 3 Revenge of the Sith is around we to the side of me and above me does this get any better.

You're a JBL crazy person

I recommend a new lamp and the use of some cable channels also

JBL 4645
    Guido

LOL

Yes hmm the light is a bit retro and ordinary, but installing ceiling lights would be far more complicated because for the wiring.

Has for being crazy, yes I am JBL nuts I’m crazy for it simply because the name is legendry James B. Lansing…

I need to test the timbre matching out on the loudspeakers now with a test tone that I will use from the THX audio set-up. There is a basic narrow band pink noise signal that is used to test the surrounds with (in-phase and out-off-phase signals).

The in-phase signal will send pink noise to the centre back, while the out-off-phase signal will send pink noise to the height surrounds.

Hence the decoder is looking for an anti-phase signal. There is also the standard test signal that cycles pink noise from (left side surround centre back surround height surround and right side surround.)

Plus there is a wideband pink noise signal or a dts set-up disc that is use for aligning the sound system for optimum sound performance, where I use track 14 (all channels pink noise) and via turn off different channels in the sound system where I can monitor the signal via SPL db metre or RTA, at the listening position or depending on where the microphone is placed in the room.

One other test that shows up well is, (rain effects) I have quite a few films that have (split-surrounds) one such title Psycho 98 the remake has some excellent rain effects during Marion’s travel along the highway at night very cool. The rain from the previous loudspeakers that I used for the (height surrounds) Ariston MSX-07 Mirro Monitors, weren’t all that good.

But the JBL Control 1 that I installed to the ceiling last night did a fantastic job in performance. Some of the bass was vibration the floor when all the other channels where turned off! Where I only had the x2 JBL height surrounds playing during chapters 10 and 12, as the plane draws nearer and nearer to the ground the reverberation on the heights was enveloping.

The more I add the less I will play it at, I will equaliser the parts that make the sound too bright. My aim is for a more, warmer sound approach with just the right amount mid range and highs.

JBL 4645

"Follow the yellow brick road".

Lead out to lead in etc, etc.

RCA left and right front stereo outputs from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select goes to an audio limiter then outputs to the Yamaha DSR-70 pro it then outputs from the left and right stereo where it goes to one EQ than of to 1x Marantz 1050 for the left and right JBL control 5.

Centre channel out from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select goes to an audio limiter than outputs to the Yamaha DSP-100 where I use one of the inputs for a special front channel effect of blending two into one that is sent to either the JBL control 5 or two separate loudspeakers one that would be placed overhead of the JBL control 5.

Anyway the centre output then passes t x1 EQ than outputs to x1 Marantz 1050.

A second output from the Yamaha DSR-70 pro, the centre output where I can split the signal from left and right making it less in loudness as one part of the audio signal over to JBL control 5 centre channel via the use of the Yamaha DSP-100 where I use the other input and a single monaural output from that processor which acts as a pre amp in a why is set to full output on the fader.

The Yamaha DSR-70 and DSP-100 both have a low pass output that is sent to the audio mixer channels 1 for main 2 for centre 3 is used from the Pioneer VSP-200 low pass output and 6 is used for LFE.1.

All the faders are set to output the level of sub bass extension and LFE.1 with pan pots sent to full left hand side on channels 1 2 3 where the pan pot for right is sent set to full right hand side. There are two stereo outputs from the mixer and please don’t confuse this with (stereo sub bass). The Eltax R-12 A handles all the sub bass extension for the three-screen and surrounds, where the JBL 4645 handles only the LFE.1.

Surround outputs from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select goes to the Pioneer VSP-200 where it has a built in amplifier for surround matrix this is used for JBL control 1 height surrounds the centre output is used for centre back for the two middle row JBL control 1.

The left and right stereo output from the Pioneer VSP-200 goes to x1 EQ then goes on to x1 Marantz 1030 where speaker A runs the sidewall JBL control 1 and speaker B runs the two outer rear stereo surrounds. I use A&B for Dolby stereo films or the odd few films with split-surrounds.

When in Dolby mode on the Pioneer VSP-200 it will engage the centre back and overhead surrounds when in bypass it will only run the sidewall JBL control 1 unless I switch on B where six JBL control1 will be running.

I think that covers it and who knows what I might add on tomorrow, its all in the Dolby mix.

Just decide to add the extra JBL control 5, I’d still need to get the extra amplification x2 matching Dolby pro-logic decoders a few more equalizers and bingo I’d can enjoy special event films like...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Always
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    West Side Story
    Alien
    2001: A Space Odyssey first edition DVD or laserdisc (not the reissue DVD)
    Terminator 2 Judgement Day
    Terminator 3
    The Abyss
    South Pacific
    The King and I
    Casper
    Willow
    My Fair Lady
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Hook
    Jurassic Park
    The Sound of Music
    Titanic
    U-571
    Spiderman
    Spiderman 2
    Star Wars

Oh so many its all good stuff.

Dude, that's quite a project. That might just be the largest private collection of Control 1 speakers in the UK or even Europe.

Do you have any plans for room treatments?

JBL 4645
    Titanium Dome

Thanks, I have no doubt it is it might be small but it surely kicks in a small room that’s the surround array and it’s still incomplete I need a few more for the sidewalls and a few for the overheard, one step at a time.

The answer about treatment keeps coming by most days over on the Audioholics, thou some feel something simple like drapes is easy but it won’t do too much it’s a sidewalls that are the problem the window side needs blocking up well at least to where the side window opens otherwise summertime will be sweltering inside the room!

I need to fix 1x1 timber a few layers to the inside of the window area and then fix some plasterboard up there job done. This will allow me to attach diffusers to the right side and this will be mirrored on the other sidewall.

But until I get my act together and get a few power tools nothing too costly or I could borrow a few for a week or two if I where to ask my dad. But I hate drills, but that’s why I have ear plugs.

JBL 4645

Just rented “The Sentinel” there’s a mole inside the (Secret Service) but who is it?

The films look was cross between In the Line of Fire and 24 that’s my way of putting and I liked it great escapism for 1hour 43minites.

Sharpness and detail of picture was uninterrupted in the scope format colours where rich and textured blacks showed up bold and solid in the darker moments.

Sound was punchy enough thou it wasn’t the type of bass that I had experienced on Poseidon last year with levels reaching as high as 120dbc The Sentinel was a different Dolby mix with some exceptional good surround moments that worked well with centre back with voice panning during the polygraph test and voices over the radios.

LFE.1 was used sparingly it bass was mostly extended via sub bass extension that was deep where gunshots could be felt when impacting into objects.

Overall I thoroughly enjoined throughout.

Film 8/10
    Picture 10/10
    Sound 10/10

JBL 4645
    The new JBL gto6506 bass mid drivers that I installed into the JBL Control 5 enclosures look like they have paid off with Spiderman 2 with deeper tighter low end support over the three-screen. During chapter 46 Doc Ock fires up the machine that was felt deeply in the middle of the room without any strain even at 0db THX reference level.

Granted the audio limiters are also taming the dynamic range as well making for a more user-friendly home cinema experience.

JBL 4645

Smile Right monaural height-surround buzzing and taken care off!

This afternoon whilst playing Titanic and towards the end where Rose is being held under the water by a passenger the low end of water that surrounds you creates this fear but what on earth was that buzzing sound?

After turning off the side surrounds and disconcerting the centre back I monitored the height surrounds carefully, I knew there couldn’t possibly be major fault with them as there hardly ever used. So I decided to take down the one that was buzzing, I checked the bass mid by pushing gently down on the cone it and it was fine, still it produced this buzzing sound on the same sequence in the film?

So I opened her up and looked around her carefully until I noticed some clear sticky glue that was attached between the cone and the outer far part of the enclosure.

Unattached the glue, played the same sequence over again and it was 100% now all I have to do is place her back up and I hate heights I’m not easy with heights oh well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    At the moment I’m having my pc upgraded so I can’t use my photo bucket, no matter here’s the view from the floor looking upwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645
    Yesterday I was thinking about adding another pair of JBL Control 1 to the ceiling or the possibly the sidewalls, but they need to be securely located where some of the bass is weak the corners at the rear are showing slight signs of weakness and just a few inches from the corner might reinforce the sound of the U.S.S. Enterprise in Star Trek II the Wrath of Khan, as the backgrounds carry a nice low end that really surrounds you in atmosphere.

Anyway I’ll see how the rest of the day turns out as I’m expecting the new amplifier Alesis AR300 to turn up as it was sent out yesterday instead of the day before.

Also I performed a wideband pink noise test using the dts music and demonstration disc tracks 11 and 12 for left and right where there was a good loudness of tone when the voice announced the channel that was to about to play.

I use track 14 all channels and with the fronts turned off as well as the sidewall surrounds and LFE.1 sub bass. I switch on the Pro-Logic on the Pioneer VSP-200 and check the SPL db level and RTA of the centre back surround.

I didn’t check the height surrounds yesterday, but if anyone feels I should add the next pair of JBL Control 1 to the ceiling for height surrounds please say.

JBL 4645
    Well seeing I have such a complex home cinema set-up with lots of additional Dolby pro-logic decoders doing different things when engaged with Dolby 5.1 or dts 5.1 source signals, where I can use one decoder set-up the centre back and height surround overhead.

Well since the installing of the Alesis RA300 I’ve just realized I can get a little more temporary flexibly control from the height surrounds overhead channel.

So while the Pioneer VSP-200 has been processing the split-surround signals for the past, and thou it hasn’t got a pre output for matrix surround which is only supplied via the two monaural outputs that would go direct to the loudspeakers, hence its amplified.

The plan is to use the Yamaha DSR-70 which supports pre-outputs as its only a processor only. Now with a little simple re-plugging and swapping RCA phone leads and loudspeaker cables around as well as using an EQ for the height surrounds to adjust any small differences in frequency response as well as the range of the frequency, this should only take me around 30 minutes to do.

Plus additional time for setting up the dts demonstration disc track 14 all channels and re-calibrating the levels of the fronts left and rights as the Yamaha DSR-70 inputs are being sent from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX, outputs from the Yamaha DSR-70 then pass though the DCX2490 loudspeaker management system.

So the level on the Yamaha DSR-70 fader has to be matched to that of the Pioneer VSP-200, piece of that cake mate easy. Once all done I’ll set-up the SPL db and RTA and do a few simple tests and then tidy up.

Next would be to test a few films out with the JBL Control 1 surround array on only, check that the levels are alright in each channel as I can turn on any of the 4 surround channels.

Left sidewall array
    Right sidewall array
    Centre back wall array
    Height overhead array

Or play all at the same time.

Anyway let’s get to work.

JBL 4645
    Well seeing I have such a complex home cinema set-up with lots of additional Dolby pro-logic decoders doing different things when engaged with Dolby 5.1 or dts 5.1 source signals, where I can use one decoder set-up the centre back and height surround overhead.

Well since the installing of the Alesis RA300 I’ve just realized I can get a little more temporary flexibly control from the height surrounds overhead channel.

So while the Pioneer VSP-200 has been processing the split-surround signals for the past, and thou it hasn’t got a pre output for matrix surround which is only supplied via the two monaural outputs that would go direct to the loudspeakers, hence its amplified.

The plan is to use the Yamaha DSR-70 which supports pre-outputs as its only a processor only. Now with a little simple re-plugging and swapping RCA phone leads and loudspeaker cables around as well as using an EQ for the height surrounds to adjust any small differences in frequency response as well as the range of the frequency, this should only take me around 30 minutes to do.

Plus additional time for setting up the dts demonstration disc track 14 all channels and re-calibrating the levels of the fronts left and rights as the Yamaha DSR-70 inputs are being sent from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX, outputs from the Yamaha DSR-70 then pass though the DCX2490 loudspeaker management system.

So the level on the Yamaha DSR-70 fader has to be matched to that of the Pioneer VSP-200, piece of that cake mate easy. Once all done I’ll set-up the SPL db and RTA and do a few simple tests and then tidy up.

Next would be to test a few films out with the JBL Control 1 surround array on only, check that the levels are alright in each channel as I can turn on any of the 4 surround channels.

Left sidewall array
    Right sidewall array
    Centre back wall array
    Height overhead array

Or play all at the same time.

Anyway let’s get to work.

And since the time I typed out the above text I’ve been re-plugging!

Well this didn’t take me too long to accomplish the rather complex task I think I had re-plugged and tested in around 40 minutes, seem like I have lost the spirit of it yet.

A lot of re-plugging going on back here!

Slight bit a quick re-plugging of the sub bass extension and LFE.1, although LFE.1 needn’t be changed around. The LFE.1 input is the RAC lead on the far right of the mixers 6 inputs. What I had to do was just reassign the front left and right summed sub bass signal centre front sub bass and split-surround sub bass signal easy.

JBL 4645
    Calibrating the main left and right levels at the same time as I noted the differences before changing everything around, there was no hitches what so ever. Just a lot of feeling around, knowing which RCA plug to plug in where and where its output would travel too.

Now it’s time for some original Dolby stereo mix from the original “Star Trek the Motion Picture” 1979 laserdisc to DVD-RW for my own personal use only!

Yeah that THX JBL experience lots of low end sub bass extension, just like the EMPIRE Leicester square screen #1 yeah make it loud!

Thread Information