Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL Control 1 summertime project surround array and more!

JBL 4645

Thumbs up JBL Control 1 summertime project surround array and more!

Hears what I have been up to these past weeks.

It all started well I guess since my first trip to the Empire Leicester Square cinema 17 years ago, the site sound and presentation exceed my expectations to a new level, the cinema was billed as the best and one of the largest THX screens in the United Kingdom between 1989 and 1998.

Employing a fully 100% JBL sound system consisting of

JBL five-screen 4675-A x20 15” mid bass drivers

JBL five-screen 2360-A HF horns

JBL x8 4645 sub bass units

JBL x22 surrounds

JBL x15 6290 amplifies

Dolby CP-200

Dolby SR/A

THX 3417 crossover/monitor

Laser show was also included in the presentation that show cased the cinema as an Event, and it was clearly that, with sound that went beyond most home cinemas at that time and further.

After seeing the movie event of the year Indiana Jones and Last Crusade presented in six-track Dolby Stereo with split-surrounds and Lucasfilm THX sound system, every single low end sound was felt along with pin point directivity, from the front row to the sweet spot in the auditorium without a single loss in quality.

The amount of bitching I have heard over the years is rather incredible, those who keep claming there home cinema is better than the cinema, well a professional THX sound system cinema is a hard act to knock, and most home cinema owners are running miss matched loudspeakers placed at the front, not to mention poor placement.

Surrounds in the Empire play a huge and paramount role in the presentation; they really do reach the listener eras with clarity, so far the experiment, this project as met my expectations and is far from being complete, but for the meantime its doing wonders!

The total JBL complement at the moment is as follows

JBL Control 5’s x5 three-screen presently active, this September I will increase this to five-screen.

JBL Control 1’s x8 two on each sidewall at the present moment, with a further two to installed, taken the total to four per sidewall.

The centre back surround is comprised of four JBL control 1’s two of these are used for the centre back surround, note: the picture that I have placed hare, note the bottom part of the diagram shows the back half of the split-surrounds. The middle one shows which ones are running the centre back surrounds.

All the formatting for these channels is done manually; this only takes me a few seconds to perform.

JBL MR centre x1 upper centre channel this works by taking the central phantom signal from the mains left and right, this can only be achieved via using the RCA pre-outputs and sending them to a separate Dolby Pro-Logic from the Dolby Digital decoder, its all in the mix friends and it works!

JBL 4645 x1 Sub Bass Professional THX approved this as to be the highlight of the home cinema, but I’m sure the JBL control 1’s will be focused on more these next few weeks.

JBL HT-1F x1 inactive at the moment, awaiting final placement for this wonderful JBL loudspeaker!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

JBL 4645

Thumbs up

Hear is a image showing the left split-surround, r the side surround in a Dolby surround-EX centre back surround mode, where the central phantom signal is removed from the split-surrounds left and rights, this as you know gives a more open and more realistic surround sound.

JBL 4645

Thumbs up

Hear is a image showing the Right split-surround, r the side surround in a Dolby surround-EX centre back surround mode, where the central phantom signal is removed from the split-surrounds left and rights, this as you know gives a more
    open and more realistic surround sound.

JBL 4645

Thumbs up

This wider angle shot taken as far back the home cinema as possible, shows the placement of the JBL control 1’s placed on the right side and the back wall.

JBL 4645

Thumbs up

This wider angle shot taken as far back the home cinema as possible, shows the placement of the JBL control 1’s placed on the left side and the back wall.

we need more pics of ur theater
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

JBL 4645
    Northwood

Thank you very much, the rest of the pictures are in the “Photo Gallery” section of the JBL forums mate, But I will be including a whole lot more in this thread, as the JBL summertime project is far from being complete.

What can I say about it, the whole system is balanced, and the JBL control 1’s are the perfect surround loudspeaker, where size of the room is an issue, I was thinking about JBL 8830’s but I would still require x6 of them to go around room, two on each sidewall, and two on the back, but given there size and thou they can be picked up “second-hand” that means used, for around £99.99 UK!

So when I saw this mad and crazy offer going at the local “Richer Sounds Hi-Fi” shop in Boscombe, that’s small town just 1 ½ miles away from my home hare in Charminster, which is based in Bournemouth.

So can I turn down two JBL Control 1’s brand new in the box at £49.95 UK, no way, £70.00 UK pounds as been knocked of the retail price, and they only have around 1000 JBL control units left in stock!

LOL, But if I keep buying them up at a box a time they’ll be none left over!

JBL 4645
    Northwood

Oh, if stay online, I’ll post the front view and give a visual presentation with little boxes and white lines saying which JBL does what, hold mate, this will take me around 40 minutes or less to design and edit the images in my photo folder.

JBL 4645
    JBL Control 5 three-screen active 175 watts handling power, sensitivity 89db, frequency response 50Hz 20KHz.

This image was taken just now!

JBL 4645
    JBL 4645, has been loaded with a newer JBL sub bass driver, the JBL 2240H. 18" 600 watts program power, sensitivity 98db frequency down to 18Hz cut-off 80Hz.

Maximum SPL that I usual play it at 115dbc, can go to 120dbc! Its great with the film Earthquake in Dolby Digital 5.1 (((Sensurround))) now with split-surrounds!

JBL MR centre, upper centre channel this gets its signal from the use of the Dolby Pro-Logic which, this is a simple re-plugging, the whole system works in the six-track Dolby Digital domain!

JBL 4645
    Note: JBL control 5 pending activation for left centre and right centre this September!

Aliens 1986, Now this film plays Just Bloody Loud! Maybe one of the best sound effect edited motion pictures of 1986, winner of the academy award for best visual effects, and sound effects editing, the six-track Dolby Stereo mix is indispensable!

The film mix presented hare has split-surrounds, or stereo surrounds WOW!
    All films are presented via the Lucasfilm THX sound system, and now that this home cinema is fully 100% JBL, motion picture soundtracks have never sounded better!

JBL 4645
    JBL fan since 1989!

RIP 2009
    You need a BIG, HD display now!!!

John

Control 1's get little respect but they do sound good for what they are. The crossover network is hellish in it's design, I don't see what the fuse is going to protect the way it is wired.

Since the drivers can still be ordered new and are not terribly expensive you can really ride rough on them and not worry about getting replacement parts. I have a pair with the optional wall mounts. Mine are Control 1G , a model I bought in HK. I think they were a limited production run, the tweeters are a little different.

Study well and day day up revoltution for JBL
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enought to take away everything from you

Thread Information