Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4355 Monitor Plans

4355 Monitor Plans

For those interested in building the 4355 Monitor I have cleaned up most of my drawings. I have several more to go and will try to add them as I get finished.

Baffle layout in sililar to that of the 4350/4350B but there are slight differences in the location of the component cutouts. The big difference is of course the single port on each side of the 2235H's. Diameter is 5 3/8" I.D. and finding the correct size tube is proving to be a challenge. JBL used rolled cardboard type material for the duct tube. My detail showing the dogleg shaped tube is only approximate. I will post more accurate drawings when I actually find the tube material and build the duct.

The internal cabinet dimensions are identical to that of the 4350/B as is the gross internal volume. The Mid-Base box also is the same as the 4350/B. Only differences in internal bracing changes the net internal volume.

All of these details came from the only pair I have had an opportunity to open up and inspect. There may be minor differences between models, but I suspect due to the short production run that they are all the same.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images      

4355 Monitor Plans

More Pics

4355 Monitor Plans

A few more pages

4355 Monitor Plans

I recently located a source for the odd ball sized tube needed to build the dog let shaped duct tubes on the 4355. Thanks Woody for your help. I have the tubes ordered and will have them soon. I can now complete my 4355 project with the assurance that the tubes are exact.

I ordered extras and will offer the tubes, cut and assembled in the proper fashion, and ready to install in the cabinets, to any of you guys who are comtemplating building the 4355 to factory specs. Four tubes per pair, price to be determined after the material arrives and I determine fab time to get them assembled.

PM if interested.

4355 Duct Tubes

Here's a couple of pics that show the duct port tubes mounted and aligned to the proper angle. Warning - we have 3 cats and they're always poking their heads into my ports when the grilles are off. No problem with 3" or 4" ports but these 5 3/8" ports are big enough that the slippery little suckers could crawl into the cabinets. A quick 100 db burst would likely force a quick exit but I worry about them leaving something inside my cabinets that won't smell too good. I'll likely not leave the grilles off when I'm not around.

If anyone needs help duplicating these tubes let me know. I have extra tube and the info to cut, assemble and mount them.

4355 Monitor Plans

Here's a few more pics of my 4355 project. The cabinets are essentially complete. My holdup was solved when I received the correct tube for the ports. Cross overs are being built, woofers are being reconed along with new diaphragms for the 2405's. When everything arrives I will get them fired up. I expect the new charge coupled x-overs to take these to a level beyond the 30 year old factory 3155's.

Cabinets are built from the plans I posted and are EXACT duplicates of those produced by JBL. I doubt anyone could tell the difference side by side, unless of course you noticed that they were new and everyone knows that new ones don't exist. Call me anal maybe, but I struggle always for a certain level of perfection - makes the effort worth while.

Veneer is walnut and stained/oiled to a patina very close to those finished by JBL. A ten foot sheet allows a full side/top/side grain wrap which is a nice added touch that doesn't cost but a few more cents per square foot. I'll mount the grilles on the second cabinet, wrap them up and sit them aside til all of the parts arrive.

More later - Rick

4355 Monitor Plans

pics

Rick, You're killing me. Beautiful cabs, Fresh - Crisp - New

jay989

4355 plans

Dreamed of owning these for many years. Sold my 300's as they just didn't have enough punch. Great job on the Plans ( Really) How can I get a set ? Thanks, Jay [email protected]

Eight year old thread revived! Woo hoo! So they had internet back then? Nice cab, nor how about a follow pic of them stuffed?

Quote Originally Posted by jay989 View Post
    Dreamed of owning these for many years. Sold my 300's as they just didn't have enough punch. Great job on the Plans ( Really) How can I get a set ? Thanks, Jay [email protected]
    Plans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Eight year old thread revived! Woo hoo! So they had internet back then? Nice cab, nor how about a follow pic of them stuffed?
    My sentiments exactly.

Kinda thinking you probably shouldn't expect a quick response -
    a. Its a really old thread
    b. Rick hasn't been on in the last 2 months

Last Activity: 02-07-2014 09:57
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The plans are available here to download and print

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...nclosure-Plans

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thread Information